“Stunning food”
Review of La Cucina

La Cucina
Ranked #84 of 158 Restaurants in St Andrews
Price range: US$13 - US$31
Description: In the heart of the resort beats La Cucina, an Italian eatery offering delicious and simple dishes with the accent on taste. Encapsulating the charm of a classic Trattoria paired with contemporary flair, it possesses a relaxed and informal setting delivering quality cuisine. The menu focuses on freshly prepared 'Italian Greats' featuring an extensive selection of antipasti, gourmet pizza and pasta, daily specials, seafood, fish & meats. Enjoy authentic ingredients, beautiful recipes, cooked and served with passion. A dining experience for all, this bustling hub of the hotel is the perfect host to families, parties or that table for two. An eclectic menu of fabulous tastes and aromas, our Italian chef aims to incorporate the resort's coastal surroundings of the St Andrews Bay. His food reflects this, featuring locally caught seafood served with the freshest ingredients to create colourful plates. A wide selection to appeal to all palates, enjoy a dining experience that transports you to Italy for the evening. We look forward to welcoming you to our new dining outlet!
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Simple food, delivered stunningly well. Staff friendly, wine list fab. Would definitely score La Cucina 10/10. 5 star quality in relaxed surroundings.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

My mother, brother and I delighted in an early dinner here during our stay at the Fairmont St Andrews. Our hostess for the evening was Jessica, who was lovely and seated us promptly.

We began our evening with garlic bread and selection of breads with olive oil & balsamic oil. This was followed by mains of Penne all’Arrabbiata, Spaghetti alla Bolognese and Calabria Pizze all of which were very much enjoyed by the respective consumers.

The wait time from ordering to receiving our meals was acceptable and our servers for the evening Petra and Connor were friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 3 June 2018

Do not get me wrong the service we received was very good and the food more than adequate but for the price I would have expected much better. The service from when first entered and throughout the meal was attentive, helpful and friendly. The food was well cooked and presented and the portions generous and there was a good atmosphere in the restaurant but it was not an intimate atmosphere. My biggest issue was the price, I have eaten much better Italian meals for far less, this was almost fine dining cost for slightly above average food.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

This is the only restaurant in the Fairmont Hotel at St Andrews (the other one, and better, is a short walk away in the golf clubhouse). Although it is ostensibly an Italian restaurant, and quite expensive, the food we had was bland and uninteresting. I had the veal saltimbocca. The veal was nice and tender, but the tomato based sauce lacked flavour. It was served with a saffron risotto that didn’t go at all well with the tomato based sauce, and the risotto texture was more like rice pudding! Didn’t enjoy it at all. My wife had a mushroom risotto which she said was also tasteless. Recommend taking a short walk to the Bar and Grill at the clubhouse - far better. If the weather is bad the hotel will drive you to it.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is part of the 5 star Fairmont hotel just outside St Andrews. We were staying in the hotel and dinner was part of our package. The staff were attentive and friendly but the food wasn’t as good as we expected. We shared a starter platter of Italian meats and cheese which was lovely but the olive oil on the table tasted heavier than the usual dipping type. I then had a pork dish which was ok apart from the pork. I left half of it because the meat was so tough. We were offered tea/coffee as compensation!! I then had salted caramel chocolate roll which I nearly lost off the plate as I tried to break into it. the chocolate was too hard but once it was open it was tasty. My husband’s fish was passable. We were encouraged to add side dishes which was good advice but it really annoys me that an expensive dish is incomplete and you have to pay out more. I saw another diner enjoying the pork dish so maybe I was just unlucky. Either way I think La Cucina needs to up its game if it’s going to feature as part of this hotel.