“Great deals at lunchtime”
Review of The Grill House - CLOSED

The Grill House
Price range: US$11 - US$21
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Really nice Mexican restaurant near the middle of St Andrews with great deals for lunch - only 5.95 for a two course lunch. Very good quality food and very good service too, plus a nice environment, so very good all round.

LizzieMarr, Assistant Manager at The Grill House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thanks for your great review! Our lunch and early evening menus are great value and our chefs work so hard in order to keep the cost down meaning we can offer you the best deal we can. They change regularly so there's always something new to try. We hope to welcome you back to the Grill House soon. Thanks again!

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This is our 2nd visit to the Grill House in the past 2 weeks. A great little restaurant serving great Mexican food. Food is fantastic - I highly recommend the Chilli Bowl made with chunks of succulent steak and served in a crisp tortilla basket. Fajitas and burgers are also brilliant. Huge portions, fantastic quality and beautifully presented.

I would highly recommend a visit for lunch or dinner and I will certainly be back on my next visit to St. Andrews. This is my favourite restaurant in St. Andrews.

Thank you so much for your lovely review, the beef chilli has been on the menu since we opened back in 1999 and the recipe has not changed (if it isn't broken, don't fix it!). Next time you're in, I recommend you try the ribs, slow cooked and melt in the mouth! Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have eaten at this restaurant a few times previously, so knew to expect a 'no frills' but decent snack and drink in the sun, this time on the front patio which was a good spot.

Our waitress was very polite and friendly but clearly maxed out and apparently covering 2 sections. We were sympathetic and certainly didn't kick up a fuss as she seemed nice enough, we were happy to sit and chill on a Saturday afternoon. However she asked us to order food first explaining that they do not have a licence for drinks only (I can only assume she meant for alcoholic drinks). We asked for a drinks menu and she said she would come back with it and take our order.

10 mins later 1 starter turned up, a further 15 mins later the remaining 2 starters arrived with a random extra 1 which we assumed meant the first one we has was perhaps not ours and all this and still we have yet to order drinks despite repeated prompting. It was all abit comical really as inside there were a decent amount of staff to cope with the demand and I would argue from appearance that they were not as maxed as this poor lady.

The food was ok, but they had run out of Corona by the time we ordered, odd for a tex mex restaurant. We had to wait again to settle the bill. In the end I simply went inside to pay as we wanted to go.

So a sadly negative review for a place that has character in decor and is certainly not beyond help. I think with a bit of effort and consistency across the staff, it could be much improved.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Had a family meal the other week end and it was first class - it was a Saturday and it was busy and the service and meal was really good! Very good value, will definitely be back

Emma H, Manager at The Grill House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Hi there, thank you for your great comments! We aim to provide great service and quality lovingly prepared food at great value, and I'm pleased to hear you appreciated our efforts. The whole team works very hard to make this possible in each service and with the changing of every menu so I will give them all a big pat on the back! Hope to see you again!
Warmest regards,
Emma Hodson

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Have always been a big fan of the grill house but sadly was in the other week with my hubby & daughter and have to say the service was very poor! We ordered our food, my daughter ordered from the kids menu plus a starter from the main menu both courses were brought out together when we got our starter, we ordered a round of drinks at the start of our main course they didn't arrive by the time we had finished our meal by this time I was quite parched. We cancelled the drinks and asked for our bill and waited 20 minutes then had to ask again, then we had to ask for my daughters ice lolly then we noticed we had been charged for her drink which should have been free. The waitress didn't seem to know what she was doing and didn't smile once. Sadly won't be returning for a while when there are so many other restaurants in the town that offer a better service.

Hi there,
I'm sorry that you feel we let you down on your recent visit to our establishment. If I remember your table correctly you were served by a very new member of the team, and although this is absolutely no excuse for poor service, while in training certain human errors inevitably occur. I can only apologise that you suffered as a result of our training our new staff. Apologies for the mistakes made by your waitress, I can only assure you that this is not typical of the standard of service that we give, that we strive for, or that we train our staff to give.
We do hope that you done with us again in the future.
Kind regards,