“We will return...”

Price range: US$14 - US$34
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Anderston
Description: Enjoy freshly prepared, made-to-order food in City Café Bar & Grill and take in the stunning views of the River Clyde through floor-to-ceiling windows. City Café Bar & Grill offers a fantastic casual dining experience. Guests can choose to dine indoors or alfresco on the stunning outdoor terrace space. Due to our location beside the SECC, demand can be high and booking a table in advance is strongly recommended.
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Following my disastrous meal at Oregano at the Eagle Lodge last night myself and a friend decided to hit the city and head into Glasgow.
As the sun was shining my friend suggested eating on the river bank so we headed to the City Cafe at the Hilton Garden Inn.
As usual I checked the reviews on Trip Adviser which were mixed, with several contributors complaining about the portion size and billing issues. However the thought of sitting outside on such a beautiful day was more appealing so we thought we would give it a go.
On arrival we were welcomed and offered a choice of tables, all with nice views overlooking the river and our drinks arrived within minutes.
The choice on the menu was small but adequate. I'm always suspicious when there are too many options on a menu as it usually means that the meals are pre-cooked or frozen. This was certainly not the case at the City Cafe.
Our waiter was friendly and helpful and as we were feeling rather hungry he suggested ‘The Finnieston Crane’ Burger at £12.00, which consisted of, double beef burger with chilli cheese, smoked bacon, onion rings and salsa. (check out the photo)
The wait for our main was minimal and when served looked sensational. Everything tasted fresh and home made. Even though it looked a bit of a challenge to get through, we finished it and enjoyed every bite.
I recalled someone complaining about the quantity of chips, so we ordered a portion on the side. The bowl was full to the brim and we were unable to finish them so no complaints here.
The dessert choice was small but adequate and reasonably priced. We just had no more room and instead finished with a coffee, which unlike a previous contributor we could not fault. It was freshly made and hit the spot perfectly.
If you fancy a day out at the river, accompanied by good food at reasonable prices you could do no better than going along and giving it a try.
We will certainly both be returning to check out some of the other offerings on the menu.

GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at City Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear scotmad

Thank you for such a detailed positive review.

Our food is all prepared freshly in the kitchen and it is very satisfying for this to be recognised in your review.

The ‘Titan’ burger you have pictured is our new addition to the burger section in the menu and is the upgraded version of the ‘Finnieston Crane’ burger on the menu.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I received this meal as a birthday gift from a friend (via Itison voucher). On booking I was advised there was a corporate event in the restaurant but could eat in the bar area. Turned out it was the Liberal Party having their annual conference nearby.

The bar area was actually very nice and we had a window seat overlooking the river. The staff were very attentive and the choice of food was excellent. We chose the Haggis and Warm Goats Cheese for starters then Free Range Chicken for mains and everything was lovely, tasty and presented very well. However, I was very pleased to have had the voucher as I thought the prices were a bit high for a lunch, plus for one beer shandy and one small house wine was charged £9!!.

We waited a little while for our orders to arrive, but I didn't really mind that as I would rather wait and enjoy something freshly cooked than have something which is cooked beforehand and then reheated and it was obvious all our food was prepared fresh from order.

It was obvious the staff were exceedingly busy but we found them to be very friendly, helpful and if there are lunchtime or pre theatre deals in future we would definitely return.

1  Thank Felice C

Dear Felice C

Thank you for you review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your lunch and found the staff to deliver good service when the restaurant was fully booked for the Liberal Democrat conference.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We had two absolutely fantastic steaks here. I mean seriously good! Whoever the butcher and chef were, Hilton needs to keep hold of them! The rest of the meal was great as well,Bailey's creme Brulee and a lovely cheese board. Way better than we were expecting. The staff were really friendly. We had a great meal.

GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at City Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear SBok

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal and found the staff to be friendly.

Hopefully it will not be long before you return and enjoy are Perthshire steaks, freshly cooked on our chargrill and served with your choice of side order and sauce.

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We had a great deal and for the price we paid for our prepaid voucher the main and desserts we had where fantastic value.

Unfortunately the service is below acceptable. Waited a while for our drinks to arrive then over 40 minutes for our mains. The waitress did apologise saying the kitchen was busy which we accepted but after eating our mains the plates sat for over 40 minutes while those who came after us had been finished and away. The desserts did come quicker but our extra drinks we ordered took a while to appear. The desserts as the mains where fantastic.

The experience with getting the bill was terrible. On inspection it was wrong. Charged for the mains and desserts which was part of the prepaid voucher we had. I spoke to a different waitress from the one who was serving us as got tired of waiting for her to appear and she then gave us an amended bill but this still had the charge for desserts. I highlighted this to the waitress and she fixed it again. Third time lucky to get it right.

Needless to say I barely left a tip.

My advice to anyone is make sure you check your bill.

I would go back for the food but only if there a dramatic improvement in service.

1  Thank bellamichelle

Dear bellamichelle

Thank you for your review.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfall in service, due to increased demand we have several new members of staff – this should not have affected your dining experience as senior members of the team should be supervising.

It is pleasing that you would return due to the quality of the food.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Had a lovely night but that was mainly due to the lovely food and amazing location . The service was dreadful -we wernt offered any courses had to get up and ask for anything we wanted and no apology for the wait. Waited 40mins with dirty plates and another 40 after that before eventually giving up on desert and 'attempted' to get the bill which we eventually got up and payed . We wouldn't mind if the staff seemed busy buy frankly they didn't seem to be and no apologies or manners. Great menu, great food, amazing location but terrible service!

GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at City Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

Dear Jeanette D

Thank you for your review.

Please accept my apologies for the poor service you received, to allow me to investigate I would be grateful if you contact me directly with the date you dined and what you eat – brian.mcnelis@hilton.com

Our outdoor dining area is split into two sections; the ‘terrace’ which offers table service and the ‘patio’ that guests order from the bar as indicated by signage on the tables.

It is pleasing that you found the food and location to be of a high standard.