“Great but did not exceed my expectations!”

Guy's Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #177 of 2,568 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$24 - US$32
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We had a great night at Guys but I was expecting more. We had been recommended by a few friends that this was a great restaurant. On arrival it's gorgeous. Stunning, small restaurant which was warm and inviting. There was a pianist and a singer who was by far the best thing of the night. She was AMAZING!!! Created an excellent ambience. Dinner was very good however I felt that the menu was a little random (chinese, sushi, italian, british) and the sides could have been better thought out. I had mussels to start which were amazing. The creamy sauce was lovely. Then I had lamb. It was tasty but it wasn't melt in your mouth. Obviously knowing us we had desserts and they were also very good although I was disappointed with my creme caramel. Certainly wasn't blown away. As with every restaurant in Glasgow it is overly expensive however I would go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,409)

Reviewed 17 February 2012

I had been trying to go to Guys for 2 years, but tend to eat out on Mon nights when they are closed. Finally, I went one Thur night. The decor was lovely, intimate; the restaurant., though quiet when we arrived, became busy, but was not noisy, so good acoustics. The welcome was warm, service was good and Guy himself, as is his trademark, came by our table later to say hi, but didn't dawdle, as he realised my friend and I were deep in conversation. The food was excellent. My only complaint was with us - we were so busy blethering that my food became cold! I ordered the fish and chips, which was lovely and flaky and soft. I am not a mushy pies fan, but they were inoffensive. Chips were good. 8/10 anyway for that at least. 10/10 however goes to the fruit crumble with custard for dessert. Wow!! It was delicious, with a little of everything in it. Truly a class dish and one I will be having again. I read on another review that portions were small - absolutely not true. I have a healthy appetite and am used to eating in restaurants 3 times weekly and the portions were good. In fact, the dessert portion was huge, not that I was complaining! I can't wait to go back and am planning another visit before the end of the month. I should point out we ate on the pre-theatre menu which was very good value. I understand the a la carte and wine menus are considerably more expensive, but not really out of line with other restaurants of its ilk in Glasgow. My friend had the steak and said it was fantastic too. I do think Guys could have provided a vegetable basket to go with the food though. All round - excellent.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

we always visit guys when i come over from belfast and it never disappoints, the early bird menu is very good value and genorous portions cant wait for next visit

Reviewed 12 February 2012

We have eaten in here a few times both with the pre-theatre and full menu and loved it every time. The food is really delicious and the overall ambience of the place is lovely too. As mentioned below the black pudding and poached duck egg starter is wonderful as is the pate, duck, risotto, lamb .... The pre-theatre is fantastic value and with the same quality of food at a fab price it is a real must try. The staff are friendly and service is very good too. We prefer to sit in the restaurant if possible. The bar seats are fine, although if the place is busy and live music is on, which is very good, it can be a bit noisy for my liking.
This place is definitely one of Glasgows best eateries and I would highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

This restaurant is situated in the 'trendy' Merchant City area of Glasgow. The staff are friendly and the style and decor in keeping with the location.
I took the sirlion steak and my friend - duck. She is often and justifiably critical of some of the food served up to her on our travels but she and I both enjoyerd our meals
I am pleased to say that Glasgow continues a favourable trend on its choice and range of restaurants
Parking outside can be tricky - take a taxi and enjoy the wine

2  Thank ColinBeveridge