“Best Steak Ever!”

Cuisines: Italian, Scottish
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Getting to Barbarossa couldn’t be easier. Located within 2 minutes walk of Cathcart station, which itself is only a short journey from Glasgow Central station.
Description: Doors first opened in 2001, offering Glasgow's southside a high quality dining experience. With an extensive wine selection and a contemporary Scottish-Italian kitchen, there was enough to ensure everybody's palate was catered for.In 2008, Barbarossa extended with the opening of the Wine Bar area. A casual dining area for guests to enjoy the Italian grill & spuntini kitchen, sample one of the massive choices of wine by the glass, enjoy an espresso or make use of the private wine room for that special occasion.In May 2013, the evolution of Barbarossa continued. Changing with public demand and peoples change of dining habits, the restaurant and wine bar menus were both amalgamated, giving guests "the best of both worlds". Added to this was the vital ingredient of a new pizza section, overseen by a new pizza chef, Enzo, who arrived direct from the South of Italy
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Ate here for the first time as a member of a 50th Birthday party group. Atmospherer was excellent and service was fast and efficient. Starter of salmon on bed of rsotto was superb abd as for my main course, I had a steak which was cooked to perfection (best I have had for years).

Reviewed 26 August 2011

Glad I didn't read the prior reviews, but simply trusted my instinct after looking at the menu and taking a quick look inside. Sat in the restaurant area rather than wine bar (completely different menu, as I asked to see both), and though I was about 10 minutes late for the pre-theatre 3-course offer at £15.95, the maitre'd (who ended up as one of my waiters) graciously allowed me in. Though most tables empty when I was sat down, most were full by the time I left.

Started with a delicious warm Scottish beef salad...actually very little salad, but delicious thinly sliced beef. My main of chicken scallopini (made with marsala wine, mustard and mushrooms) was the most delicious dish I've had in a while. The cheese plate was wonderful - a marvellous selection of Scottish & continental cheese served with oat cakes and a side of slightly garlicky chutney and another of exquisite honey. Accompanied by a large glass of Montepulciano, the meal was a blissful way to start the weekend.

As I now live only a 10-minute walk away, this place will definitely be on my 'regular' list, though my income will require that I visit for the pre-theatre, as full whack would be beyond my budget most of the time.

1  Thank itinerantnomad
Reviewed 22 July 2011

been around for a few years now, wine bar has a great lunch and dinner menu if you're not in the mood for a treat and the restaurant is excellent if you want something more "fancy". The service is excellent.

1  Thank d_on_tour_16
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We come here fairly regularly as it's only round the corner from where we stay.

Always a warm welcome, brilliant service and amazing food. The specials are always lovely and although it's not a cheap place to eat, there are great deals for Sunday lunch and meals in the bar area.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

Went to Barbarossa for a 65th birthday celebration. I arrived early and put a 65th birthday balloon on the table and some table confetti on the table. The confetti was metallic 'Kates', the name of the persons who's birthday it was. It had taken me a while to source it and it was really nice.

Just after doing so, a man who appeared to be in charge approched the table and threw a strop that I had put confetti on the table. He went completely over the top and I had to remove it all. His reason for this was that if someone spilt a drink on it, the confetti would stain the table cover. After removing it all by way of putting it all onto a saucer, he took it away with the packaging.

We had our meal, which was nice, although I would agree with the other reviewer, that there was a bit of a weird atmosphere (maybe it was just me because of the table confette saga!).

Following the meal, I asked for my confetti back, and was told that it had been put in the bin.

To summarise, I wouldn't go back here as I felt their customer service was extremely poor.

2  Thank GILL186534