“Shocking”

Cuisines: Italian, Scottish
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Getting to Barbarossa couldn’t be easier. Located within 2 minutes walk of Cathcart station, which itself is only a short journey from Glasgow Central station.
Description: Doors first opened in 2001, offering Glasgow's southside a high quality dining experience. With an extensive wine selection and a contemporary Scottish-Italian kitchen, there was enough to ensure everybody's palate was catered for.In 2008, Barbarossa extended with the opening of the Wine Bar area. A casual dining area for guests to enjoy the Italian grill & spuntini kitchen, sample one of the massive choices of wine by the glass, enjoy an espresso or make use of the private wine room for that special occasion.In May 2013, the evolution of Barbarossa continued. Changing with public demand and peoples change of dining habits, the restaurant and wine bar menus were both amalgamated, giving guests "the best of both worlds". Added to this was the vital ingredient of a new pizza section, overseen by a new pizza chef, Enzo, who arrived direct from the South of Italy
“Shocking”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have been to Barbarossa many many times but have always been extremely disappointed with the Pre Theatre menu. Not lack of choice but lack of quantity. It is EXTREMELY annoying when Pre Theatre food is so obviously cut back on because it is a cheaper menu. There were five of us eating and four of us chose venison bolognese. All four dishes were sent back because there was less than a teaspoon of meat in the tomato sauce and pasta. Ridiculous. When the dishes were returned there was only two teaspoons of meat. Very sad. Not sure I would want to go back there now when there is so much choice and so many vouchers available where you get a reasonable portion size.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Dibsna

“My favourite restaurant...”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We started visiting Barbarossa a few years ago. First of all for the odd pre-theatre, then to celebrate a special occasion, then sometimes to have something casual with a nice glass of wine. Basically no matter what the occasion this restaurant seems to deliver, on every visit we have received absolutely first class food and friendly service.

The restaurant is over 3 levels with a more relaxed feel downstairs and perhaps a bit more formal upstairs but there's no firm divide. The wine list is fantastic, the menu has enough variety without being overwhelming, and there is usually a great special or two available. On one of my recent visits I was fortunate enough to have a special of a huge veal chop cooked to perfection. They also now have an award winning pizza chef and my wife and I have taken to more regular visits as they are so good and very reasonable. My favourite is the one with gorgonzola on it... incredible!

The atmosphere in the restaurant is always great, particularly at weekends and we have also spent 2 Hogmanays in the restaurant with live piano music and a nice ambience.

I really cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough. Enzo and the staff are incredible and we count ourselves very fortunate to have something this good almost on our doorstep.

tyne & wear
“little gem”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stumbled by this by chance & what a great find. Fabulous food with just the right portion size, Friendly welcoming staff with nothing being too much. Defo returning on our next visit

Visited May 2014
“Great Local Restaurant”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Fabulous find in the Southside. Great menu blending Italian and Scottish cuisine, friendly staff, excellent food. Well worth a visit.

• Visited May 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best place to eat Southside”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

After two visits, Barbarossa has become one my favourite restaurants in Glasgow and certainly the best I've discovered in the Southside of the city. They boast a large and varied menu with excellent options that are not just Italian in origin. I find myself thinking about my next visit when deciding on my meal as there is so much I want to try! Also, the quality of every dish that has come to my table so far has been excellent. Love the décor and the ambience most of all and the staff are really friendly and welcoming. Overall, a great experience.

• Visited April 2014