“Avoid room 37”

Ranked #91 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Oban
“Avoid room 37”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I booked through booking.com fairly late. I got the last double room at a cost of £80.00.
Arrived - staff fine. Given room 37, which was on the top (4th!) floor. There is no lift. The room, and I guess the whole floor have recently been completed. The fixtures and fittings, etc were fine. New carpet. However, this was a queen size bed. A double bed would not have fitted into the room. Perfectly good, except you could not get into it from both sides, and there was a sloping roof which meant you had limited standing space. If I were single I would have been perfectly happy with this room, but my wife was not at all happy (and not because she was sharing with me!!) It was quite noisy as the door at the top of the stairs was adjoining, and there were a number of revellers returning from their night out at 3 a.m.. OK, I can put up with that as I am a good sleeper and can get back to sleep. BUT £80 for this room. Not good value. The full Scottish breakfast was OK. I rasher of bacon, one (poor quality) sausage, one egg, half a tomato and some beans. In fact, not wishing to be racist, it was actually an English breakfast because their was no black pudding or haggis! As my wife says, we won't be going back here.

Room Tip: Avoid room 37, and if you have restricted mobility, there is no lift and there are 4 floors (in addi...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The rooms where very basic but the staff where excellent and could not do enough to help. The breakfast was surprisingly good.

There are alot better hotels in the area and we only stayed because everywhere else was fully booked.

If you just want somewhere to sleep and a good breakfast the smith is perfect.

• Stayed November 2013
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Made the booking on lastminute.com at a cheap rate, to be fair without really thinking about it, but seeing as the price for a double room should have been £45 then I thought it would be decent - how wrong I was. We arrived and quickly dropped our bags off before heading to the hydro for a gig, when we opened the room up the window was open and due to it being winter, I obviously closed it before we headed out. When we arrived back, I realised why the window was wide open - our room absolutely stank of what I can only describe as the smell of rotting fish, it was absolutely disgusting. I went back to reception to raise the issue and ask for another double room, to which I was told there wasn't one except for a kuch worse one, with ceiling and damp problems etc. I was then given a bottle of febreeze. Gutted, I went back up the stairs and told my girlfriend, who then suggested we try to book into a premier inn or something. When we started phoning around, the reception guy came up and told us there was another double room available as they had just had a cancellation (I wonder why). We went down and were greeted with a similarly dank and unclean feeling room. We had no success getting anywhere else to stay so we decided to get a couple of hours sleep (on top of the covers under our jackets I might add, the room felt way too unclean to properly get into bed). I might also add that the sockets on the wall were badly fitted and loose, and there was only one small toilet per floor, and one shower per floor. This was the worst hotel I've ever seen. In the end we could not sleep due to the walls being paper thin and the guest in the next room was watching television extremely loudly, so we ended up getting up at about quarter to 5 and walking into the city centre in order to get the first train home. It's a shame this hotel was so unbelievably bad as it had been an excellent night up until we arrived back here.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Where do I even begin?
At checkin, no one mentioned that money was being taken out of my account, I was merely handed a sloppy receipt when I came back at midnight. Booked this hotel for the 'parking facilities' which was a pothole, garbage ridden dump in a back alley with no spaces. First room we were given was full of broken furniture including the tap, hairs in the teacups, springs sticking out of the bed. We were then moved to a family room which was even worse - the smell of piss, windows that were drilled open and wouldnt shut, beds full of stains and pubic hairs, furniture that all looked like it came from the skip. On top of that, the guy who manned reception was rude and threathened to take more money out of my account since 'they had my details'. We left at 01:30am. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed November 2013
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My wife and I decided to stay here for two nights as we could not find anywhere else close to the High Street. Had read previous previews which were not inspiring. Found the room to be in need of decorating and the carpet replaced. The bedlights need to be lowered so that you do not have to get out of bed to switch them off. The Toilet plumbing is bad, it takes hours for the cistern to re-fill.

However the beds were comfortable and clean and the breakast was really good as were the staff. The Polish and Indian girl on reception were helpful.

The owner needs to spend some money on the Hotel to bring it up to a resonable standard.
It is not suitable for disabled or elderly guests. Finally I found it adequate but not worth more than £40 to £60 per night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rock Island, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Booked this on the road without doing full research. I was looking for location near Kelvingrove Hall Museum and off street parking. No lift, we were on the fourth floor, 80 steep steps from breakfast rooms in the basement and parking area. Room was tiny even by European standards. Laminated menu was greasy and gross. None responsive to emails about a left item. Almost $100 per night even though it advertised rooms starting at $60. It was really 60 pounds. The off street parking meant asking people to move cars to get in and out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We (a family of four) stayed here 1 night. The price is not high, which is good but the stairs are very steep. We got the room in the attic and it was not a pleasant heving it so high when you need to carry so many suitcases upstairs.
It is about 1,5km away from the city centre.

It is ok if you travel low budget because it also includes breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family