“Awful, disgusting, avoid”
Review of Smiths Hotel

Smiths Hotel
Ranked #89 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A really dirty hotel, which you definitely do not want to sleep in.Beds are stained, staff are rude and rooms are filthy.

The window in my room was broken which the staff refused to fix. Do not be fooled - this place is horrible.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank T-M-Mal

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed there 3 weeks ago. Left my phone charger, 3 weeks later they sent some make I have never heard off. Phoned the manager and no-one has still phoned me back.
I WANT my charger back - might be mega cheap but really really bad. Staff not good and she put down the phone on me the last time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank margaretmcglashan70
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I booked 2 nights (Sunday-Monday) at £35 per night including breakfast. For a central Glasgow hotel this is very cheap so i didn't expect much. Receptionist was friendly, gave me my room keys and directions. No lift, tight stairwell, slight smell of smoke on the way to my room. When i entered the room i found someone else's luggage and clothes there! Reception told me that the guest had checked out so slightly alarming why someone would leave their stuff. Receptionist was quick enough to remove the belongings and apologetic. The room was basic to say the least but was not expecting more for the price i paid. However some things were unprofessional like leaving the previous guest's toiletries and food (a pack of kitkats) in the room. The cup provided for tea/coffee was also dirty (stuck to the saucer). I had a room facing the street (Sauchiehall st) and the soundproofing of the single glazed window was very poor. Window barely closed properly. The room's TV was tiny but worked fine. Bed was reasonably comfy sheets clean and bed made up the mext morning (although my clothes were just flung back onto the bed). The ensuite was cramped but generally clean. The hot water from the shower took a short while to warm up. Towels were plentiful and clean. Noise in hall from adjacent room guests slightly distrubs your sleep. Breakfast staff very friendly. A cooked breakfast of your choice was provided. Quick service, average food. Overall you can't complain at what you get for your money however the previous guest's belongings was a faulty towers moment. Won't be rushing back.

Room Tip: If you need a good sleep avoid a room facing Sachiehall Street as the single glazed windows have poo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank robthebruce1314
Reviewed 23 March 2014

A couple of friends and I had booked this hotel thinking it would be a decent enough place to put our head down for a few hours and was reasonable priced for a really short stay however the room was so freezing that we were shivering in our beds as the radiator did not work and windows were very old and draughty, we asked for someone to fix the problem and he said it wasn't working and eventually gave us an electrical plug in heater which didn't work so continued to freeze.

Then much to our horror a man had came into her room which we presumed was a staff member as he asked us about the radiator not working (door was unlocked as we were waiting for a member of staff to address the on going heating problem) but in utter shock found out he was also staying at the hotel and proceeded to speak to us asking if we would like a cuddle to keep us warm and if he could bring his friend up to our room!!! once we realised this was a social visit and not in fact a member of staff We felt very compromised and we immediately asked him to leave with much persuasion. Although we had a bed each we had to all sleep in the same bed just to get some heat. After this traumatic night we complained to the manager about what had happened, he was very rude and obnoxious and wouldn't entertain our complaint and branded us as "you people" the snobby types who like to try and rip us off every month. He completely disregarded the fact that the radiator wasn't working and called us liars despite having a member of staff coming to try to fix the heater. Not only did he disregard our complaint but actually gave us a torrent of abuse for trying to raise our concerns. We did not receive any compensation or refund for our horrendous night but to add insult to injury we also had to endure a torrent of ignorant abuse on top of our very poor experience. It ruined what would of been a perfectly nice visit to Glasgow. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL ESPECIALLY IF YOUR A WOMAN.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank leanne e
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times. The first time breakfast was served raw... cut the egg and it flowed over the plate. But things were a bit better the next time. Last night however we booked into smiths arrived quite late went to room and could smell something off. Wasnt until we got into bed that my colleague sat in a damp patch. We then pulled back the sheet and realised the bed had a patch of damp urine on the matress. The guy on reception apologised and constantly blamed the cleaner. If your runnin a hotel you make sure the cleaner doesnt make a bed thay has urine on it. We decided to ask for a refund which we got and fortunately the place next door had a room...
a much better and cleaner one.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Dave H
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It is very much like a hostel, and for the price i can see why. They were nice enough. It was in need of a bit of love to be honest. Lights weren't working, one shower to a level of guests isn't the best but again much like a hostel. Does the trick of a night stay. Especially for the price. Avoid if you have problems with stairs though, there are too many of them in this wee hotel.
My other half has allergies, she ended up having to sleep with gloves on just so she didn't have a skin break out because of the dust.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Well what can I say? Me and my husband booked in here. After about two seconds we were out. We approached reception. The staff told us our room was up ontop floor. No lift available andI was kknackered. Half way upstairs I knew we would not be staying. Got to room. The smell was unbelievable. Bleach and dirt smell. Room was depressing. Tiny with sloping celeing. Im tall and clostrophobic abit. Apparantly used for homeless so it should focus on that. Its not kid friendly thank God we didnt have our daughter with us.Read in comments people had flea bites!!! place had a prostitution den vibe. Window was tiny with no cover! Bed badly worn! carpet on stairs worn badly. We asked to room move they said we need pay extra so we left skipping out the door. Horrible. Plenty hotels right next to this one. Staff not good. Man that was hanging around his attitude immediately changed when we asked for our refund which they did give as we booked through LateRooms.com. come on smiths sort your hotel out or sell up! This is embarrassing have some respect. You should be ashamed. I tell everybody I can not to book smiths hotel Glasgow!

• Stayed: February 2014