“Good hotel for price”

Smiths Hotel
Ranked #92 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Good hotel for price”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed the night here, I was worried by the reviews I read here but I didnt find anything wrong. Our room was on the 3rd floor (FYI there is no lift) I found the room clean and tidy. The bathroom is small but clean also. The room is basic but thats expected for the price. I was pleasantly surprised by the room after reading the reviews on here. I would stay here again based on my experience.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Unfortunately this is my first review that has been terrible. I'm open to the fact that this place will not be of a high standard due to the price; but seriously best giving it a miss & staying in a hostel.
The building itself is very run down: crumbling single glazed windows, smoke stenched carpets, charity shop style furniture and old bedding. It can also be quite intimidating if you want to use the shared bathroom facilities when there are a bunch of drunken people about.
Though the staff are very friendly and helpful, this place needs some serious tlc. I would never recommend anyone to stay here in its current state.

1 Thank lauzg13

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Like a reviewer mentioned before, I also had doubts about booking at the smiths hotel but thought I would give it a go especially considering the bargain price on offer.

When we got to the hotel, we felt the worst that this trip was going to be a struggle but can honestly say that we were wrong.

We encountered an extremely helpful and friendly reception staff (Hina and Pavi) who made our first stay in glasgow extremely comfortable. Whether it was asking for the iron, more towels, booking a taxi, a tour, borrowing a charger.

The room was spacious and clean and looked like it had recently been refurbished.

It had all the basics we needed such tv, kettle, tea/sugar/coffee/milk, heating, toilet/shower, clean towels and a comfy bed to get a night's sleep.

Breakfast was very busy but the staff still had time to ask us for our order and bring it to our table very quickly despite the rush on Sunday morning.

I have stayed in hotels all over the uk where you have to serve yourself at breakfast but it was refreshing to see the breakfast staff taking our orders for us instead.

Breakfast is included in the price which was fantastic for us.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in glasgow and at the smiths hotel and look forward to staying with you again the next time we decide to come to glasgow.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank DerekRe
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Not the worst hotel and not the best either.

Good place to rest your head and get a breakfast which is included in the price.
Reasonably clean and friendly staff.
Needs some renovating to make it better but decent hotel in the city centre of glasgow which was ideal for me.

Very cheap price so overall good value.

2 Thank Roger D
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Myself and 5 friends stopped for 3 nights in this hotel in 3 separate rooms whilst in Glasgow for Radio 1's Big Weekend. There was some concern after reading previous reviews but it seems people are making a lot of fuss over nothing. The hotel is great if you want somewhere to get your head down for the night. They serve a nice full English breakfast and the staff are friendly too. There's a car park out the back and parking is free out the front in the street on weekends if needed. It is in walking distance of the City Centre and has a great kebab shop around the corner. Couldn't have picked a better hotel!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrew M
Peterhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I had booked this hotel a month back and then looking at reviews the night before going i was concerned, there were alot of negative reviews of the hotel saying it was cold, dirty, bad customer service etc. I was pleasantly surprised upon arriving at the hotel the receptionist was welcoming and helpful, the room was clean and warm. yes it could use some TLC and the sheets were rather dated but for the price and the purpose it was comfortable and served its purpose.
People were complaining about the fact they had to climb stairs but i was on the first floor so this was not an issue and we did not have breakfast so cant comment on that either. Overall it was a good place to sleep for a night :)

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I booked one night and it was the most horrible and depressing room I have ever been in my life. Old furnuture, cold, stinky smell. Over priced! Please dont bother with this hotel!Is an old house, with old carpet and second handed um matching furnuture. Ypu hear the other rooms voices, and you just dont feel conftable. I was waking up every hour to make sure no one was trying to get in, it doesnt feel safe.

• Stayed May 2014