“One night stay”
Review of The Alba Lodge

The Alba Lodge
Ranked #32 of 35 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Me and my 2 friends booked this hotel just for one night (on booking.com). We arrived late (about 10 p.m.) and chek in went really fast. We paid only 50 pounds - room for 3 with bathroom, tv and breakfast included. Everything was clean :) Breakfast was tasty and freshly made. There was no problem with leaving our luggage for few hours (after cheking out).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank aniazabinska

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Me & my best friend (females) booked to stay away for 2 nights for a girly weekend! this was not the hotel we oringally booked we booked one 2 doors down & that went wrong.. anyways we went in to ask if there was any rooms available.

As we walked it there was a horrible strong musky smell.. very over powering! no1 at the desk so we waited a good few moments in this horrible dingy messy reception.. a guy appeared! no introduction or anything like that .. very unwelcoming to start off with.. I didnt trust him but we were desperite for a place to stay! he said he had a room for us.. £100 for 2 night so we said yes jumped at the chance as we were desp! We gave him £100 he then asked for a further £40 as deposit which we couldnt afford so he stragley took my friends card details where he wrote it on a shabby piece of paper! He then took us down to the basement where he put us in a small horrible room with no bathroom! it had 1 pillow on the bed, a tiny sink, not much more.. and he floated around outside the door! I would not have left the room all weekend it would of ruined my time away i have never felt so unsafe in my whole life! after my heart poundin and me shakin i finally went out & asked for refund we told him we were leavin! he didnt say a thing just gave us the money.. we then asked for our card details back he refused at 1st.. After a little argument he gave us them back! i was in the building 15 mins at most and the experience was terrible! I would also not eat from this place either as the room we were in was disgusting i didnt even look at the 'shared' bathroom couldnt face it! Please if two young girls are lookin for a place to stay DONT BOOK THIS PLACE!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This experience was a little haphazard I'll be honest. Firstly, imagine me dashing in from a taxi journey with our luggage whilst on a time-limit to get back to the centre - pouring with rain. The staff member who greeted the soaking wet, rushing woman was kind enough to let me check in later but leave the luggage there (they even took it up to our room for us).

This was pleasant enough - however the i did feel a little uncomfortable in the hotel because the staff seem to hover wherever you go, or suddenly seem to appear. The room we stayed in was plenty big enough and so comfy for the two nights we stayed in. A LOT of stairs unfortunately. The place seemed hygienic enough but not as central to the city centre as I would have liked.

Never had the breakfast, but you could smell the kitchen even if its in a basement.

All in all, I wouldn't stay as a solo traveller, and the stay was cheap enough to warrant it this time, but I don't think I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs, ask for a room nearer the ground
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Value for money although wasn't as hygienic as we would have hoped, good location and very friendly staff. Bit of a trek from the entrance to our room on the top floor but the owner offered us a hand.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We stayed here back in May, when we were in Glasgow for a wedding. It was incredibly good value for money and our room was more than adequate. It was dated (fair enough),but it was clean and there was plenty of hot water, the beds were comfy and the staff were very friendly and pleasant, with some banter thrown in too! The breakfast was excellent: a huge cooked breakfast, just what the doctor ordered after a few too many wee drams! The location is awesome for Central Glasgow. The place has a lot of character: I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Booked this without reading the reviews. The entrance hall was dirty and untidy and the smell throughout was overpowering. We didnt get to see the room but the dirty duvet and pillows in the hall way were enough to put anyone off staying here. All i can say is avoid it or stay at your own peril

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 84OB
Reviewed 28 September 2012

This place is cheap but it has no excuse to be in the state it is in. I booked this off the cuff without reading any review and I really regreted it. We were in the basement which stank of food and damp, perhaps the upper floors are better. Never again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple