“Brilliant hotel”

Best Western Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #55 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is a lovely hotel. The location is central and very convenient. It is yards away from the
Lovely King's Theatre. Safe parking is close-by and at a very reduced rate for guests of the hotel. The hotel staff are friendly, polite and considerate; the young man at reception was very helpful. The staff are very courteous and their professionalism is a credit to the employer. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. We had a lovely room on the second floor, which was on the corner of the building and had large windows and views over the front of the hotel. It was a very spacious room and an absolute delight to stay there. We may be going back to Glasgow in a few weeks and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I've got a series of work coming up in Glasgow around the West George Street area, so I thought I'd try a few different options. The Best Western Glasgow City Centre is located on Elmbank Street literally a hundred yards from the multi storey car park at Charing Cross., the hotel will discount your parking ticket.

The hotel is small and pleasant, the rooms are situated on three floors but no lift! This didn't bother me but it may some.

One big factor is that there is NO restaurant! Now while working away I hate the 'table for one' misery in some large hotel restaurants. There is an extensive menu in your room which you can anything delivered to your room if you wish or there's a very pleasant loung with comfy sofas and tables where you can have your meal served and watch a little comunial tv. It's almost like being a guest in someone's lounge, very relaxed.

The food was excellently presented and the service was superb. It's ideal when working away and not wanting your meal to be too much of a fuss. If you're staying for leisure and want something more then you're only two hundred yards from sauchiehall street where you have hundreds of restaurants to choose from.

Bedrooms seem to have been updated and while mine was compact it had a pleasant boutique feel and everything I needed. I got a corporate rate of £74 a night including breakfast, which was served in the basement breakfast room, this was very well presented with nice buffet food.

One thing I found mildly amusing was that the security chain on my bedroom door was fitted the wrong way round making it totally useless.

All in all a relaxed stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Never expected to see such a cozy n chic hotel tucked conveniently with the heart of Glasgow. Stayed for two nights and had a wonderful experience, just for the wonderful service , I would return.

With just 15 minutes to George square and Queens' station...and minutes away from the theatres..you are definitely within the proximity all that you would want to do be it leisure of business.

The team at front office who were always willing to educate me the nitty grittier of Glasgow, the wonderful two ladies at the Breakfast room....thanks to all of you for making this trip warm and wonderful.

Needless to mention, the condition of the room was excellent too. Very boutique..very chic.

Room Tip: Should you be travelling as a couple, I would recommend that you ask for a larger room and yes, ther...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business. Arrived late but staff were very friendly and helpful. Up two flights of stairs to my room which was a very odd layout- apparently this hotel used to be a dance school- so I think I got the janitors cupboard! Bathroom was spotless and very new. Rest of room was ok, bit tired furniture. Very cold though, so went and asked at reception, no problem. Heating boost was brought on about 1/4 hour later. Perfectly fine despite antiquated radiators! Quirky! Bed fairly comfortable although duvet could have been thicker for this time of year. Very good self serve breakfast and comfortable, stylish dining room.
Very close to all amenities.
A budget hotel, reasonably priced. Good customer care. Will return.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife stopped here for two nights on Oct the 3/4th and we were greeted with big smiles and friendly faces. Our room was very clean and quiet (even at the front of the hotel looking over the front street) the staff were extremely helpful and the breakfast was very tasty!!! Defo stop here again - top staff, top hotel plus top gig at the Hydro, topped a top couple of days in sunny Glasgow. Paul & Nicola #geordiesoutoftown

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul J
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was an average hotel , ideally located , clean enough and lovely good quality breakfast
which was totally self service including teas and coffees which were all in one room then you take it to lovely dining room , plenty of hot and cold choice to be had in the buffet.
The only downfall we were in a double room facing a brick wall (201) and our bed was two
single pushed together to make a double (they didn't fit together properly) Overall a
good value hotel and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Well priced centraly located hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara_C187
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I arrived late afternoon / early evening on October the 22nd for a 3 night stay. Was given room 009, which is on the lower ground floor. At first glance I was amazed by the size of the room and was happy with the mini fridge. Then I went to the bathroom....yuck. That was a nasty damp smell. Noticed this room was for people in wheelchairs as there were rails on the bathroom walls. Well, even though I thought the room was on the darkside and had a nasty smell, I didn;t think much of it. I mean the plusses of having lots of space and a mini fridge outweighed the smell.
So left it for what it was and went to the theater. As I had taken a shower earlier I had no need of using the shower the first night. The 2nd night I found out what the cause of the smell was. I turned on the shower and......the entire floor of the bathroom ended up wet and I am talking really wet. In the morning there were still areas that had small pools of water. Besides the nasty odor, I felt this was not sanitary. I have never reported anything but now I did. If i had stayed there much longer i would definitely have requested an other room.
Later on the 3rd day someone from maintenance was trying to fix the problem, but no luck. ( maintenance guy was very friendly and chatty. Thanks for trying to fix it !!) I guess in order to fix it you need to completely re-do the flooring. I didn't feel comfortable in staying long in the bathroom.
The room itself was, like I said, ok. A bit warm, but the window opens easily so you can ventilate. Well easily for not handicapped people. If you are in a wheelchair, i doubt you can reach for the window. And for that matter, and I am not an expert, I doubt wheeling around in this room is challenging. The floor is uneven in certain places and I guess that's not what you want when you are in a wheelchair.
The hotel is close to Sauchiehall street. Exit the hotel to the left and at the end of the road turn right. That's were all the shopping starts. Halfway through on Sauchiehall street a pedestrianized area starts and runs from Sachiehall street to Buchanan street and Argyle street. You can definitely spend a couple of hours there. Also on Sauchiehall street you will find a Tesco express ( closest to the hotel ) and the larger one: Tesco central (?) both supermarkets.
If you are arriving to Glasgow by plane, get on the 500 bus and get of on Waterloo street. From there it is only a 5 min. walk to the hotel. Arriving by train you will either end up at Queen street or central station. Somewhat of a lengthy walk but do-able. Carrying a lot of bags then take a cab. After having read some of the reviews I was a bit disappointed with my own experience. So unlike others, if I find myself in Glasgow I will most likely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms that start with "00" as you will be deprived of a view and light.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo