“A hidden gem”

Ranked #59 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Winchester
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This would not have been my first choice of hotel to stay in, I'll be honest. This is mainly due to location - there are closer hotels to where I conduct my business trips in Glasgow. But my HR people stuck me here and I was dismayed at first.

However, my disappointment soon disappeared. With polite and friendly staff, a cosy room, spacious bathroom and free wifi (always a bonus, am I right?), I was in my element.

I like my hotels to have a gym so I can pound the treadmill at night, but this hotel is a stone's throw from the lovely Kelvin Grove Park so it was trainers on and off I go, running along the picturesque Kelvin River. The lack of gym (although there's a deal with a nearby one you can take advantage of for a fiver) was soon forgotten.

There's plenty of bars and restaurants in easy walking distance, and Buchanan Street's shopping nerve centre isn't that far away either.

There was a problem with the electricity in my room one night. Fearing hours of waiting, I waited in the lounge with a cuppa. The staff ensured it was a priority to fix and I was back in my room before I'd finished my brew.

I'll be telling my HR people to book me back in the Best Western Glasgow City Hotel in future.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ben C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Visiting Glasgow to go to musical show in King's Theatre so location was perfect. Hotel room spotless - if being a tad nit picking my friend thought the pillows were a bit hard. Staff were really helpful and friendly. Have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to people. Would have liked to be able to go in and out the front entrance of the hotel without having to walk past smokers!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I arrived late on a one night stop over in Glasgow. There is a secure NCP car park just yards away and plenty of restaurants within a 5 min walk. The room was large, clean and quiet. Would probably stop here again if in Glasgow.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here whilst on our short break to Scotland. Overall hotel is good considering cleanliness, location and service. But disappointed with heating system. Management switch on the central heating at times as they wants.Guest do not have the option of change as they wish. What a rubbish? SO YOU HAVE TO WAIT even your freezing? Except the heating issue, I can not find any faults.

• Stayed April 2014
Cranleigh
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights in May with my friend. We had two rooms on the ground floor. Quite dark rooms - furniture is dark too which doesn't help. Had a double room which was fine for one but wouldn't want to have had two in it - not a lot of space! Bathroom was good and the bath had a shower over it and plenty of hot water.
Didn't book for breakfast as it didn't suit our plans to do so so not able to comment on that. Staff at the front desk were very helpful and supplied all sorts of information we wanted.
As others have said very good location - only 5 minutes from Charring Cross Station which is a big bonus.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My boyfriend and I booked a room here for a weekend and it was just right. The room was a bit of a squeeze and when I say small I mean that our fridge wouldn't open at all because the bed was too close... The staff were friendly and understanding which is great because we managed to get locked out of our room several times and then our key card stopped working so they dealt with us in a pleasant enough manner haha! We never tried the food or room service and although we were told there was a dvd player there wasn't one in the room but after asking in at reception we managed to get them to send us a playstation 2 to the room so we could watch the movies we had bought! The hotel is right next to the train station and next to a wide variety of restaurants, shops and bars so we made the most of that! The subway is a bit of a walk away but once you get there you can go wherever really! Great little hotel!
The bathroom was very clean as was the room and being on the first floor we could hear quite a bit of noise from the street but it was comforting in a way!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room.