“I SLEPT IN THE RECEPTION!!”

Best Western Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #59 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“I SLEPT IN THE RECEPTION!!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Seriously, this is not a joke. I hope you won't have the "chance" to sleep in this hotel, but if you'll have when you arrive look at the reception and next on the left. You will see a door.. I slept there, like a guardian of the hotel. I slept with my head on the same wall of the reception, so I heard the check-in of all the guest arriving during the night. And the guy working at the reception didn't have the decency to ask new guests to not make noise because there was a poor looser sleeping in the reception! Terrible hotel with poor brown sad furniture. I hope to not see a Best Western in all my entire life.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Federica T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I had the misfortune to be sent to stay at this hotel for ten days whilst working at this year's Commonwealth Games. I rang ahead of time to request a quiet room and ended up in a dark, smelly room on the ground floor with no view. The room was extremely noisy as it was on a corridor leading to the dining room and every time anyone went through the door at the end of the corridor my head was literally bounced against the head board of the bed. The floors of the building creak like crazy too so sleep without ear plugs was impossible. The first few days were unbearably hot so sleeping was difficult, even after I had been provided with a fan. The only way to sleep was to stay on top of the bed with the window wide open - quiet room? A further problem is the fact that I don't think these rooms have ever been refurbished since the UK public smoking ban came into force so by morning the room stank so much of old tobacco smoke that I had a permanent sore throat until I came home again! I also saw other selfish residents sitting in their windows to smoke on the sly -come on, police the no-smoking laws instead of paying lip service to them. Now you might think I can't find anything else to gripe about - wrong. A TV that constantly locks up and goes garbled on almost all of the channels due to poor signal, internet coverage that was at best intermittent, and almost no mobile coverage inside the building, though admittedly that is NOT the hotel's fault

Plus marks? Very few - the staff are extremely pleasant and the breakfast is lovely.

I don't doubt the price per night for this hotel during the games was extremely high and I'm glad the company picked up the tab because I would have felt seriously ripped off had I had to pay it myself.

Not impressed.

Stayed August 2014

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Haltwhistle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Booked for one night to attend the closing ceremony of the Commonwealth Games. Paid £125.00 for bed and Irish breakfast for two. Fifteen minute walk from the city centre and main shopping area. Facia of the building as was the street it was located on appeared tired. On entry the receptionist was efficient and friendly and soon allocated a room. It was on the first floor it was very small, smelt of smoke, no view and the constant rumbling of extractor fans from the hotel and other nearby buildings. Water mark stains on the ceiling obviously from a previous incident. Needless to stay we requested a different room. Again the receptionist was helpful and we were allocated a "disabled room" on the lower ground floor, near the breakfast room. Room much larger but again little ventilation. Bathroom obviously adapted for disabled guests but had a musty smell and limited toiletries. Due to only using the hotel as a one night stop did not feel we could again complain as obviously all the rooms would not have met to our expectations of a 3 star hotel. Must admit nice large bed with clean linen. Breakfast the next morning was disappointing. All self service and although various selections after you had taken your food on a tray ( not dissimilar to a supermarket cafe) to another musty smelling breakfast room, our appetite was lost. Dirty marks on walls, creaking floors and disappointing rooms means we would not recommend or stay at this hotel again. Good job the fantastic Closing Ceremony of the Commonwealth Games softened the blow of a stay that would have otherwise been marred.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Doncaster
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed just one night visiting for the commonwealth games, on arrival the lady on reception was extremely helpful giving us a map, checking the site of our venue then showing us which way to walk or the train station to aim for. She also provided lots of information re shops, restaurants and bars.
The room was in the basement therefore we had difficulty with phone reception and no wifi, but it was clean and very comfortable. We heard very little noise from other guests which we expected do to our location near the breakfast room.
Breakfast was excellent lots of choice and the help yourself was a bonus as you could refill plates as often as required.
Would definitely stay here again on another trip to Glasgow.
I do agree prices were higher due to the games but all hotels I looked at had done the same and for the quality and location it was one of the cheapest.

Room Tip: If wifi needed ask for a room not in basement.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was allocated room 306 which was at the very top of the hotel. Room very small, limited ventilation. I was informed by the receptionist if I had asked I would have been given a fan, why not just leave the fan in the room seeing the weather was so hot. The hotel us about 15 minute walk from Queen Street railway station. Good location, close to restaurants, cafés and shops. Staff very helpful, room clean if uncomfortable. Few toiletries in the bathroom. Bathroom small but serviceable. Good breakfast, but you do have to get everything as all that is on the table is salt and pepper.

Room Tip: Don't accept either room 306 or 307 as they are both at the top of the hotel. Try for room in 20...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Silverfox21
uk
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Good room, good shower, good wifi , clean, very good friendly staff. :-)
Location ok, not as central as advertised but still only 15-20 minutes fast walking from centre (uphill !).

CHARGED £190 for a £100 room because commonwealth games on, is pretty disgusting & taking advantage tho, if not for that i'd give a high score, because of that its a low overall score. :-(

• Stayed July 2014
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was only my second visit to Glasgow. Previously I was on holiday in Edinburgh and only went to Glasgow for the day. This time I go to see much more of the city.
Staying here was mid way between the office and Sauchiehall Street (and Bath Street) where all the restaurants were. So it was conveniently located.
I had to eat out every night, but there is a breakfast room provided. (Breakfast was really good).
It was quite warm that week, so I was greatful for the fan provided in the room. The room had all the usual tea/coffee etc. More importantly the rooms were clean including the bathroom.
I would say that this is a good place to stay if you need to be in the Argyle Street area. It's not far from Glasgow central.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business