“Awful stay.”

Lorne Hotel
Ranked #50 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Awful stay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Firstly I read reviews on trip advisor alot before booking anywhere and I had read many good things before booking, so I went ahead and booked a night here for myself and my boyfriend. We are both 18 & werent expecting the ritz, we paid £77 inc breakfast for 1 night. Upon arrival the reception area was very modern and welcoming. The reception staff were also welcoming and friendly. We were given a room on the 4th floor which was disasterous! It was tiny, I have stayed in airport travel lodges which honestly were bigger than twice the size and for £33.50 per night so I was livid! There was a desk at the bottom of the bed which the drawer had been ripped apart and I assume disposed of & our bed had stains on it (make of that what you please) So by this point I was furious, we had spent nearly £80 for a room that I believe was worth no more than £40 so we went back to reception and were moved to a room 2 doors down. This room was the same size, same drawer problem however no stains on the bed. It did have a bathroom window which didnt close properly so we had a constant draft which wasnt great. We ordered room service from our phone in the room to be hung up on 3 times due to the telephone wire being hanging on by a thread so a waiter was sent to our room, we ordered to then revieve a knock telling us there was no beef, no beef? .. That was that, when room service did arrive it was cold and we had been overcharged. We were planning on going a night out in Glasgow but after all the hassles and time wasting moving from room to room we decided to call it a night and get a sleep. Around 12am I felt someone trying to open our door, I answered to find a middle aged man questioning who was in the room etc, I think basic floor checks must be done at the hotel in future.
The next morning we went to breakfast which we believed to be table service which infact was buffet, no eggs, no link sausage, no potato scone, no apple juice. We couldnt wait to get home and write to management! We wrote 3 seperate emails and called 4 times, eventually getting a reply from a Mr Frank Queen, who was very friendly and I must thank for offering a complimentary stay which I accepted however due to work commitments I had to rearrange the date, I still have had no word back and the date we planned on returning has came and gone.
I would urge anyone planning on booking a night here to seriously reconsider. I have stayed in premier inn's in the city centre which are in better location, are far more spacious and offer far better value !

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Greenock23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed here for one night and could not fault the hotel, the room smallish in size but was clean comfortable and modern. It had a large flat screen tv and shower ensuite, the bonus was the climate control unit it had freezing cold or toasting hot air which you could set to your own personal taste. Breakfast in the morning was buffet style cooked breakfast which was superb and you could eat as much as you wanted. We had no problems with any noise at all and would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Looks are deceiving!!!

From the outside and from the reception area/bar you would expect this hotel to be a bit special. However the rooms are a different story: Bijou (both bed space and bathroom), the shower is usually the shower head you would have alongside another just for washing your hair! and depending on which room you get allocated there are no plugs by the mirrors.

If you are allocated room 502 immediately ask for a new room as you will be kept awake by the lift going up and down, and if you can't stand constant noise then also ask to be vacated from room 418 as the generator here will keep you awake.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Stonehaven, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here last night to take in a concert in Glasgow. Firstly it's moderately good value for money and the receptionists were both fantastic and really helpful, however even at the low prices you expect "the details" to be right.
Parking, though advertised as a cost option is roadside and unsecure, costs are Glasgow City Council parking charges a huge negative especially as websites and other booking sites are completely ambiguous on this. You need to be up before eight to feed the meters in the morning before the trafgic wardens get there at 8:30. There obviously is parking available, the stream of BMWs this morning gave that away. I booked on the basis of the parking option, I was very disappointed.
The rooms are small the bathrooms tiny, big issue if youre bigger than super skinny. They lack space and details, no plug points beside mirrors for dressing hair/ make up that sort of stuff, no wifi, tea/coffee facilities very very basic. Breakfast is buffet service but you don't have any waiter service, tea/coffee from a central point and had been there for ages, food tepid and not hugely fresh, it wasn't good.
The Lorne is okay and I'd probably stay again but they charge basic Travel Inn type prices, the details should be of similar standard. I suspect I could have found better for similar money.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Donald Y
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

Booked into this hotel for one night and it looked really nice when I walked in. I got into my room and it was a different story,it was covered in dust,had money lying on the floor and part of the front of the chest of drawers was not there which instead was covered with horrible white paint. I called the reception to ask for a change of room and the staff were rude, I could hear their full conversation of the staff member's which included "they did not pay full price for the room", even though I did. After about 5 minutes they said to come down to the reception. Again the staff were rude and they gave me 3 rooms to choose from. The rooms again all had faults, but I had to settle for one. I made a mistake of booking this hotel, please don't do the same!!

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank me1988
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

I booked this hotel on the 4th of May for myself and 7 of my friends to celebrate my birthday. On arrival we found the staff very helpful, polite and friendly and were checked in as soon as we arrived (15 minutes early). Once we had all checked in we found our rooms to be clean and very spacious. We then headed down to the Bilberry Bar for a few drinks and the barman Rory was very helpful and his strawberry daiquiris were to die for. As the afternoon progressed and the drinks flowed we then used the hotels restaurant and I must say the food was "out of this world" and the staff were fantastic.......even presented me with a bithday cake.

All in all I would highly recommened The Lorne Hotel to anyone who is looking to book a stylish hotel when visiting Glasgow and I would like to thank all the staff for a fantastic weekend x

I would like to add that I think people are more prone to write "bad" reviews instead of good ones so I personally wouldn't take too much notice of the negative reviews on here.

Room Tip: All 4 rooms that we booked (2 double and 2 twin) were equally as comfortable as each other.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends