“poor all round”
Review of Lorne Hotel

Lorne Hotel
Ranked #57 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 29 October 2013

we chose the Lorne hotel as it was near the Kelvin grove and we were attending a function .Reception staff were indifferent when we checked in. The room was the size of a postage stamp so much so I could have put the light out and been in bed before it was dark!!
the bed was tiny and we had one set of towels and one mug for the two of us. Despite a request to reception no towels or mug was forthcoming.
breakfast to be fair was ok marred only by the fact we were sitting at the window as the crane hoisted two men to clean them as we ate breakfast. Very poor all round

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jackie L

Reviewed 25 October 2013

To be utterly fair, I'm going to start this review by stating that I stayed at the Lorne with a colleague, and we got a deal which meant that we only paid £50 each for our rooms. That's a good price for a hotel, although to be honest I would rather have paid another £20-£30 and stayed somewhere which delivered on its promise.

The real shame with the Lorne is that I could easily be writing a completely different review - scoring it 4/5 rather than 2/5.

On arrival, the hotel looked great - stylish and well-presented, it was a step up from some places I've stayed in Glasgow. However, right from the start little things begain to chip away at the image. The reception staff at check-in were pretty abrupt, close to being rude. On going to our rooms, one of them was still being cleaned so couldn't be used and the other (my room) had a strong smell of paint. We left our bags there and then went down to use one of their meeting rooms - an airless, windowless room, with gloomy lighting that gave my colleagues headaches. The front desk printed off some documents for us (often included in "business packages") but we were only told afterwards that we would be charged for them. Drinks arrived, but without our full order, and there were no cables to connect laptops to the room's big screen.

My bedroom was a really good size, and the bathroom was lovely - although it had a window (with blind) that looked into the bedroom and seemed strange and unnecessary. Rather than a double bed, I had two singles pushed together which would have been fine had one of the beds not been almost unusable. I could feel the springs pushing through into my back, and the whole bed felt rickety. At least I had the other single to move over to, which was hugely comfortable by comparison.

The saving grace for the Lorne is the bar - although lacking in atmosphere (and customers) on a Tuesday night, the staff were friendly, attentive and helpful.

Most of my complaints are small things, and it probably comes across as though I'm being petty. But for so many little things to be wrong when I was there for less than 24 hours really does make the difference.

There are lots of good hotels in Glasgow that I would happily go back to. The Lorne could be one of them, but right now it's just lacking the consistency for me to book again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank luckyvdb
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We arrived after a long drive to a rather nice and clean looking hotel. Warm friendly staff gave us our key and we made our way to a clean cosy comfortable room. Having driven all day we decided a shower and clean up in the on suite bath and shower, a little drink in the bar which I found to be on the pricey side and a bite to eat. Then of to bed. We was on the second floor and an asian function was going on, on the floor below us. We felt evert beat and bass through the bed and about 10.30 the tried to phone reception and ended up using our own phone as the phone in the room wouldn't conect. We was told that the function was going on till 1am in the morning and as there was no spare rooms we had to endure the noise. We were also told that there was another function on the next night. If you book this hotel find out if there is a function on and if there is either ask for a floor other than the second one. Ap at from that we were pleased with the hotel

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank crazyhors
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Was here on business and found the hotel staff to be friendly and interior to be modern and functional. The room wasn't massive but fine for one person. Great breakfast selection too. It's not too close to the centre but fine for visiting the west side of the city. Good bars nearby too.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Matthew_Blackett
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I booked my parents into this hotel for their 40th wedding anniversary and it was a disaster from start to finish.

When they arrived the reception staff had no note of their booking despite the fact that it had been booiked 2 weeks prior to their arrival and my parents had the confirmation e mail with them!! When the booking was finally located they were told that they had to make payment even although I had already given credit card details on the hotels secure booking website?? My parents contacted me to try and sort things out and when I eventually got through to the hotel they said that although I had given my card details this was only used for guests that do not show up!! NO reference to this was made on the confirmation e mail!! I eventually presuaded them to take my card details over the phone again in order that they would let my parents go to their room after more than an hour from their initial arrival. When they eventually found their room, as the lights were dim and the corridors were not easy to negotiate, there were stains over the carpet and the room was extremely basic - nothing like the photographs on the website suggested. However nothing could be done as my parents had arrangements for the evening and were already ruinning late. In the morning when they came down for breakfast there was very little choice at the buffet and what was there was cold and uncovered. When they went back to their room after breakfast they key card to their door had been deactivated and they had to stand in a long queue at reception to get this resolved as the hotel had thought it was just a one night stay. I would not reccommend this hotel to anyone, yes, it may be centrally located but for the money I was charged it is certainly not good value for money!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Argyll73
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Positive:
- Rooms were okay.
- Bathroom was clean, had everything you want. A.
- Beds were very comfy.
- Breakfast was great. Fair choices, tasted great.
- The downstairs bar is neat. They have open until long after midnight, and the drinks were good.
- Location is very good. Many good restaurants in walking distance, a park, and very near to the SECC.
- Rather cheap. Good value.

Negative:
- They seem to have organizational problems. When we arrived, one of our two rooms wasn't ready. We went to the room we already had and were told that we'd get a call when the other one would be ready. Well, we never got that call. After about 4 hours we went down to the reception to ask, and were told the room was ready already.
- Television was very disappointing. Very few channels, the digital TV had a lot of connection issues and was overall very slow.
- Rooms, though overall fine, would not let you open the windows more than a couple of cm. Bummer if you like fresh air.

Overall, if you're planning to stay at the Lorne hotel just for a couple of nights and you'll be out and about for most of the day, I'd say go ahead. It serves its purpose and it's relatively cheap. If you're in Glasgow for an extended stay and plan to spend time in your room, you may want to keep looking.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was disappointed by the Lorne Hotel.

I still haven't received a reply to my letter, written 6 weeks ago.

Actually, the hotel was nice. I got a lovely room and bathroom for a very reasonable price. The breakfast was fine.

My problem was communication. It said in the book in my room that there were 2 restaurants and I should ask at Reception for menus. There was a sample menu of the Indian restaurant in the book, but not of the European one. I asked at Reception for a menu for this restaurant, but they just said "Go to the restaurant and they'll give you a menu." The only restaurant I could find was the Indian one, and I had seen the menu on the street door. I had a meal there, but I would have preferred a lighter meal that night, and not Indian. I never found the other restaurant.

I thought it said in the book that there was a computer I could use for a fee, When I asked I found there wasn't. Apparently they only have Wi-Fi, not computers.

It said in the book that there was a list of laundry prices included. I asked at Reception the night before I wanted to do a wash, but they said "Come back to-morrow". I took my washing down to Reception, only to be told it would be cheaper to go to the launderette - which would still have been open the next day. I took my washing to the launderette, but it was almost as expensive as the hotel's laundry service. I just wanted to know prices, so that I could plan.

Still, when I asked for an iron and ironing-board, I got them all right.

Room Tip: The rooms were fine. My room was quite far from the lift, but at least there was a lift.