“I love this place”

Ranked #398 of 2,682 Restaurants in Glasgow
Description: Informal
Description: Informal
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Just visiting for pre dinner drinks on this occasion, we were lucky to get the last table outside in the sun. It’s always great when you are served by knowledgeable staff and this time was no different. Great gin and tonic and gin cocktail to start our evening.

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

We had the 7 course taster menu on an itison deal. No drink with this one just a cocktail on arrival and the seven courses are quite small. Bread and canapés to start, razor clam with chorizo, a noodle broth, Bloody Mary tomato dish, crab, a lamb main - which was lovely - and a strawberry desert. We didn’t do wine pairing but a nice Malbec cost £24. Obligatory gin flights to finish - excellent service from the waitress from Carlisle - a really enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 4 June 2018

Had lunch here with my wife and friends a couple of weeks ago - the food was delicious and very nicely prepared and presented. Nice atmosphere in cosy surroundings. Very warm and pleasant service.

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our tasting menu tonight! The only thing we weren’t keen on was the Bloody Mary sorbet cos it was so nippy but all other courses were delicious. Our server Toni (her name was on the receipt so I hope I’ve got the right person) was amazing. A lovely server who knew exactly what each dish was, the best gin to have with it etc. I’m not a gin drinker but the rose wine was lovely too. Would def come back.

1  Thank KayJ19
Reviewed 26 May 2018

I went to the Merchant City Gin 71 the other night with a group of friends. There is a VERY extensive drinks menu and all of our drinks orders were divine. Some friends got Gin Flights which were so cute and quirky! The waiter, although he was lovely, felt the need to try and explain the entire drinks menu for a good 10 minutes, going through each gin category and their specific characteristics, which none of us remotely remembered when ordering.

Gin 71 is definitely more centred around the alcohol so food wasn't anything to rave about. Only vegan option is a salad with no obvious protein source. No allergen indicators on the menu for gluten or dairy free, etc. Really missing a market there! I had the tempura fish which was nice but I think it was a deep-fried from frozen job, though the gin tartare sauce was very good. If you go midweek they do a 3 for £15 deal on mains though, so for £5, it actually is pretty good value, but not at the original price on the menu in my opinion.

Overall, it was a decent dinner, not overly high quality, but if you are going there it's probably for the drinks anyway so no complaints there!