“WORST 'HOTEL' I HAVE EVER STAYED IN”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of St. Enoch Hotel

St. Enoch Hotel
Ranked #96 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
uk
“WORST 'HOTEL' I HAVE EVER STAYED IN”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We had originally booked to stay for 2 nights at this hotel. However, we had to pay for another hotel for our 2nd night as our experience here was so bad we could not bear another night in this hell-hole. For a start, the hotel room smelled of an awful odour which cannot be described. It was so bad that we had to go out and buy new clothes as our packed clothes smelled badly of this stench. The room was tiny! For it being a twin room, there was a bunk bed with hardly any room to move around. The person on the bottom bunk was unable to view the tv as it was too high up on the wall and too close to the beds. The blinds on the window would only close half way down, making us very uncomfortable. There was a large gap under the door of our room which also made us feel uneasy. The ceiling tiles were broken. The tacky, cheap wardrobe shook badly when we tried opening it. There were exposed pipes in the bathroom, a badly bashed bin, and all the surfaces in the bathroom felt extremely grimy. We had to ask for the bedsheets to be changed as they had other people's hairs on them, and appeared dirty. However, when asked to do this the reception staff were very rude to us and basically accused us of dirtying the sheets!!!! In fact, they stated they would check their CCTV to check how many people we had in our room!!! Finally, there was loud music coming from somewhere which kept us awake until at least midnight. We have stayed in alot of hotel rooms and have never, ever been forced to write a review to warn others of the conditions awaiting them. In fact, this is the first review I have written as I feel this hotel does not deserve to be called a hotel. No hygiene, no hospitality, no cleanliness, no standards....hopefully no more guests.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on this dump
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cotter280

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

It's really more of a hostel than a hotel, except that there is no kitchen which is too bad. Many of the bad reviews on here are of the "private" rooms. I can't speak for them but the dorm rooms are quite nice. Stayed in the all-female dorm which had 3 sets of bunk beds. The beds were clean and warm, there was space to hang up jackets and put bags, as well as a kettle, biscuits, and instant coffee provided. There was also a tv on the wall although I didn't try to use it. The bathroom was small but clean and the shower was nice and hot. They provide a towel, new bar of soap, and packet of shampoo for every guest and in the morning a little to-go bag with cereal, milk, and juice. The wifi is a tad slow at times but not bad. Although it is super central, the area is not noisy at night, at least not during the week.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Letterkenny, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

My friend and I booked in to this so called hotel for one night...I booked it via website which advertised it as superior twin room for £33 saving £87. We paId the man at reception before viewing room although my friend did ask to see room beforehand which we were assured all rooms were cleaned daily, clean linen on bed and fresh clean towels supplied so we took him for his word and paid up front....what he neglected to tell us was the room was damp...the wardrobe propped up to stop it from falling over... urine stain on the mattress...DISGUSTING....needless to say we didn't stay and had the bother of looking elsewhere for somewhere to stay that night...THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN.....We weren't expecting the Ritz for what we paid just a room that habitable...not some filthy dump.....and I will certainly put in a complaint about this place and we were refused a refund...STAY THEIR AT YOUR OWN RISK..IT STINKS.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maire333

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed here for one night as a room to stay in following a night out in Glasgow. Booked last minute, we struggled to find a hotel for less than twice the price of this hotel and so took our chances (despite the many poor reviews below).

It was a hotel with a hostel standard. We booked a private twin room, ensuite. Received a room with 6 bunk beds in it but it was private, so the additional beds didn't bother us. Bed was comfy and sheets were clean (but dated). Room was dated and yes, the carpet was stained, the walls marked and the roof tiles incomplete but the room was clean and the sheets/towels and cups provided were all clean and so the decor didn't bother us. The bathroom had also been cleaned but the standard of cleaning wasn't great. The parts of the bathroom which you used had obviously been recently cleaned (ie sink and toilet/shower tray and shower head) but nothing round about that was (ie shower walls/door and mirror were not clean).

Reception was clean and welcoming. Staff were friendly. Breakfast was delivered to the door in a little bag - nothing fancy but exactly what we required (and a bonus in comparison to hostels/hotels of this standard). Flatscreen TV was a surprise and wifi was great.

Location - being familiar with Glasgow I was worried about staying in the Jamaica Street area, which is not the best area of the centre. Access to the hotel was over St Enoch Square and the hotel entrance looks onto the square so it was a safe walk from Buchanan Street to the hotel - even at 4.30am - and it is so central for anyone looking to explore the area. Right next to the subway and Glasgow Central train station. It was also quiet at night.

In relation to the comments on cards being charged - my card was debited the day of booking rather than the day of arrival. This isn't authorised and shouldn't have occurred. However, they debited my card with the correct amount and it was only 24 hours before I stayed so I didn't mention anything as it wasn't a problem.

If you are looking for somewhere nice to spend a bit of time, don't stay here. If you are looking for a safe bed to crash in while exploring the city/following a night out, it's perfect and very cheap. Just expect what you pay for. It's cheap for a reason.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Aberfeldy, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I don't look for much when i pay £28 a night in the centre of Glasgow but when the ceiling starts leaking that is the final straw ! Horrible smell, Very stained carpets, Shower that i wouldn't even step inside, Uneven bed, Broken wall sockets, Stained ceiling and walls, Terrible lighting and CEILING OF ROOM LEAKING ! Staff were fine. Unless you don't mind staying in a squat, AVOID THIS !

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter H
Benton, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Okay, so it is not the Ritz, but then again it is not the steps of the train station either. This is a budget hotel, and like any budget hotel the world over, it has its flaws, but, you do get what you pay for. If you read through the reviews of this place, I guess some people want a heck of a lot more for their money.

Staff were friendly enough, room relatively clean, shower was very disappointing though, water was rather luke warm and trickled. There was some evidence of the hotel being used as some kind of night shelter for the homeless, but I guess they (or at least someone) pays the same as us, so they are entitled to stay just like everyone else.

On the plus side, you are smack bang in the heart of the city, so convenient for everything. If like us you are in the city to explore and discover, you will spend most of your time out and about and only use the hotel to get your head down at night.

Facilities such as wifi was great, tea & coffee facilities for hot drinks with little biscuits were there in abundance, though not exactly sure of the little breakfast bags that you find outside your room in the morning...lol... but they were a very welcome way to start your day.

All in all, we would stay there again if we ever went back to Glasgow, as for the lesson to be learned... It is this...

Don’t be put off by the negative reviews, you will always have mixed reviews irrespective of the class of hotel, and at the end of the day, this is a budget hotel in a city centre location what more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear are a lot quieter and away from the noise of the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Livingston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel has a lot of bad write ups, so was very ready for the worst experience ever... PLUS POINTS - It was clean, the bed was comphy, the room was ample for what I needed and it was literally were I was working for the week... BAD POINT - they took cash out my account 3 days before I arrived then denied it (I had my daughters tablet so I could prove it then and there) the manager sorted it immediately. This does prove however they do keep card details which is illegal in any sense, hot water is non existant, I had to boil the kettle to have a wash, the room is tilted this may be due to the subway running under the hotel, although this didn't bother me and there are take away shops underneath the hotel I asked for advise where the best place to have dinner was they told me the indian shop next door (DONT EAT HERE) you will end up ill!!!
I wont be going back...

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main street...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business