“Disgusting - do not stay here!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Enoch Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
St. Enoch Hotel
Ranked #96 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Disgusting - do not stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

This is the worst place I have ever stayed in my life. When we first arrived we were shocked. The room was filthy, so bad that I refused to take my shoes off as the carpet was disgusting. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls. There was grafitti on the back of the door that warned us "Do not go to sleep". The bed linen did not smell fresh at all - I slept on top of the covers on top of a towel (which was also a discoloured white). The bathroom was like something from a horror film, the shower head made me feel physically sick and the shower door did not close. We all showered whilst standing on a plastic bag inside the shower as it was so dirty. The wardrobe had sticky stains on the front of it, which we have no idea what these were. The ceiling had holes in it which had been filled with one of the 5p soap bars that they provide you with. My friend found someone else's dirty socks down the side of her bed. The smell of the whole hotel was horrid. We did complain to the front desk and they gave us the key to another room, however when we went to have a look this one was even worse. There was a hole in the wall of that one which had pathetically been tried to cover. There wasn't even a proper lightbulb in the room it was a UV one so we quickly asked to be moved back to our original disgusting room. I have never felt so uncomfortable in a hotel, shabby doesn't really matter but cleanliness is a must!!! We had originally been booked in for two nights but cancelled the second night and would have cancelled the first if everywhere hadn't been fully booked due to the Scotland football being on. I wouldn't wish that place on anyone and would recommend people to find somewhere else. This ruined my weekend as I couldn't sleep for fear of something crawling out from one of the many holes in the ceiling/wall/filthy carpet. This place doesn't even deserve one star and I have no idea why it is still open. DO NOT STAY HERE EVER!!!!!!

Room Tip: don't choose any of the rooms, they are all disgusting anfd unclean. Not very spacious either, b...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Elisabeth T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Just because a room will literally hold 6 beds doesn't mean you should put that many in there. The door to the bathroom didn't open fully because the beds were so close together. They were the rickety metal beds as well, so the whole bed shook when someone exited the bathroom. There wasn't really anywhere to put our bags either.
There is wifi in the rooms, but it is so slow it doesn't actually work.
The bed appeared clean, but the bathroom was horrible. The others in my room also thought it was odd that we had all paid different amounts for that night's stay.
I was happy to have a place to sleep having arrived late on a Friday evening in the rain, but wouldn't return if I had any other options.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Glasgow, Scotland, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Having my friend visiting from London and us wanting to party in town and stay central, we thought this looked ok..and it was going to cost us £52 for one night in a twin room which we thought was ok for the location.

On arrival, we got out key and headed upstairs to room no. 7.

When we opened the door, it was lucky the door didn't hit the cheap tubular bunk beds, and the door opened up to touch the rickety, shakey and totally insecure wardrobe in the corner..
The bottom mattress was so thin and uncomfortable I got hardly any sleep which was kinda lucky as when I turned round in the bed, as it was on a slant and I almost fell out around 4 times!!
When you sat on the edge of the bottom bed, the toilet door hit you when opened!!

The telly was too high on the wall to see from the bottom bunk, the walls were all marked n had holes in them, the floor had a slant/dip in it which you went down on the 3 steps it took to walk across the room to the toilet!!

The toilet was basic with a small shower. The actual shower was ok, but the decor and state of the furnishings was pretty disgraceful!

We had a small kettle, 2 cups, wee milk cartons, tea bags and 2 packets of plain biscuits on a table in the corner.

As we left, we found 2 brown paper bags outside the door with a plastic plate, spoon, mini pack of cornflakes, wee carton of milk and a fruit juice for breakfast.

We did go down after checking the room to complain but were told all twin rooms are bunk beds, and that they were fully booked so we couldn't move anyway!!

I would definitely NEVER advise anyone to stay here... The price we paid was ridiculous for a dirty rundown hostel!!!

We booked this as it was a hotel and we didn't fancy bunk beds in the hostel..!!!

It was noisy, stinky, run down, old, dirty and should be avoided at all costs as I now know this is actually used as a halfway house for drug dependant people!!!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Pammieallwoman
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We had originally booked to stay for 2 nights at this hotel. However, we had to pay for another hotel for our 2nd night as our experience here was so bad we could not bear another night in this hell-hole. For a start, the hotel room smelled of an awful odour which cannot be described. It was so bad that we had to go out and buy new clothes as our packed clothes smelled badly of this stench. The room was tiny! For it being a twin room, there was a bunk bed with hardly any room to move around. The person on the bottom bunk was unable to view the tv as it was too high up on the wall and too close to the beds. The blinds on the window would only close half way down, making us very uncomfortable. There was a large gap under the door of our room which also made us feel uneasy. The ceiling tiles were broken. The tacky, cheap wardrobe shook badly when we tried opening it. There were exposed pipes in the bathroom, a badly bashed bin, and all the surfaces in the bathroom felt extremely grimy. We had to ask for the bedsheets to be changed as they had other people's hairs on them, and appeared dirty. However, when asked to do this the reception staff were very rude to us and basically accused us of dirtying the sheets!!!! In fact, they stated they would check their CCTV to check how many people we had in our room!!! Finally, there was loud music coming from somewhere which kept us awake until at least midnight. We have stayed in alot of hotel rooms and have never, ever been forced to write a review to warn others of the conditions awaiting them. In fact, this is the first review I have written as I feel this hotel does not deserve to be called a hotel. No hygiene, no hospitality, no cleanliness, no standards....hopefully no more guests.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on this dump
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cotter280
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

It's really more of a hostel than a hotel, except that there is no kitchen which is too bad. Many of the bad reviews on here are of the "private" rooms. I can't speak for them but the dorm rooms are quite nice. Stayed in the all-female dorm which had 3 sets of bunk beds. The beds were clean and warm, there was space to hang up jackets and put bags, as well as a kettle, biscuits, and instant coffee provided. There was also a tv on the wall although I didn't try to use it. The bathroom was small but clean and the shower was nice and hot. They provide a towel, new bar of soap, and packet of shampoo for every guest and in the morning a little to-go bag with cereal, milk, and juice. The wifi is a tad slow at times but not bad. Although it is super central, the area is not noisy at night, at least not during the week.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Letterkenny, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

My friend and I booked in to this so called hotel for one night...I booked it via website which advertised it as superior twin room for £33 saving £87. We paId the man at reception before viewing room although my friend did ask to see room beforehand which we were assured all rooms were cleaned daily, clean linen on bed and fresh clean towels supplied so we took him for his word and paid up front....what he neglected to tell us was the room was damp...the wardrobe propped up to stop it from falling over... urine stain on the mattress...DISGUSTING....needless to say we didn't stay and had the bother of looking elsewhere for somewhere to stay that night...THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN.....We weren't expecting the Ritz for what we paid just a room that habitable...not some filthy dump.....and I will certainly put in a complaint about this place and we were refused a refund...STAY THEIR AT YOUR OWN RISK..IT STINKS.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Maire333
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed here for one night as a room to stay in following a night out in Glasgow. Booked last minute, we struggled to find a hotel for less than twice the price of this hotel and so took our chances (despite the many poor reviews below).

It was a hotel with a hostel standard. We booked a private twin room, ensuite. Received a room with 6 bunk beds in it but it was private, so the additional beds didn't bother us. Bed was comfy and sheets were clean (but dated). Room was dated and yes, the carpet was stained, the walls marked and the roof tiles incomplete but the room was clean and the sheets/towels and cups provided were all clean and so the decor didn't bother us. The bathroom had also been cleaned but the standard of cleaning wasn't great. The parts of the bathroom which you used had obviously been recently cleaned (ie sink and toilet/shower tray and shower head) but nothing round about that was (ie shower walls/door and mirror were not clean).

Reception was clean and welcoming. Staff were friendly. Breakfast was delivered to the door in a little bag - nothing fancy but exactly what we required (and a bonus in comparison to hostels/hotels of this standard). Flatscreen TV was a surprise and wifi was great.

Location - being familiar with Glasgow I was worried about staying in the Jamaica Street area, which is not the best area of the centre. Access to the hotel was over St Enoch Square and the hotel entrance looks onto the square so it was a safe walk from Buchanan Street to the hotel - even at 4.30am - and it is so central for anyone looking to explore the area. Right next to the subway and Glasgow Central train station. It was also quiet at night.

In relation to the comments on cards being charged - my card was debited the day of booking rather than the day of arrival. This isn't authorised and shouldn't have occurred. However, they debited my card with the correct amount and it was only 24 hours before I stayed so I didn't mention anything as it wasn't a problem.

If you are looking for somewhere nice to spend a bit of time, don't stay here. If you are looking for a safe bed to crash in while exploring the city/following a night out, it's perfect and very cheap. Just expect what you pay for. It's cheap for a reason.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends