“the hotel not too good as expected”
Review of St. Enoch Hotel

St. Enoch Hotel
Ranked #96 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“the hotel not too good as expected”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

To be honest, this hotel has a good location, it near the subway and all other shops. but np internet access as stated, no matter how many time you try to key the password it would not work and the elder staff told me to go next door coffee shop to use the Internet. feel really uncomfortable about it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

OK, this was a budget hotel, but it really was VERY basic!We have stayed in various budget hotel in Glasgow, including the Euro Hostal, for less cost and this was much poorer value, The windows were grimy and last washed about 10 years ago. Outside our first floor window was a massive ashtray. where cigarette butts had been discarded on top of the front door lintel.! The shower went everywhere except out of the shower-head. The towels were dirty - one of them had suspicious-looking brown stains on it! The bed was not too bad, but no bedside tables. The kettle boiled in the corner, and couldn't be moved due to flex-restriction, so the steam knocked all the paper off the wall! The breakfast (left outside the door, in a brown paper bag!) was the final straw for us - a polystyrene bowl, rice krispies and skimmy milk.We realise that you get what you pay for, but we will never stay there again. We feel fortunate not to have picked up bed-bugs!

Room Tip: Don't stay there. If you want a centrally-situated, budget hotel with reasonable value, try the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jessie W

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Me and my 3 pals arrived expecting a double bed and a single bed and were faced with 2 sets of bunk beds which moved, rattled, shook, bent out of shape and threatened to collapse if any one over the age of 14 went up to the top bunk. This was after walking up the dark, spiral grotty staircase to the second floor, (imagine we were of an older generation and not warned about this), decided we would put one of the top bunk matresses on the floor for safety and limited comfort.
We are not complainers but this was a joke how health and safety for one has passed this as a "hotel", so we decided to go for A shower, haha, funny, not! the water trickled out freezing then hot, from the shower cubicle stained on the ceiling with circles of damp.
On my walk back to the "L" shaped cell of a room, i had to flick toenails off my feet and sit on the lower bunk to get organised as there was no where to sit, (i dare anyone to try this without banging their heads). There was cigarette burns on the carpet, creepy room with no lamp, mirror no where near plugs, toilet wouldnt flush well, hot tap was spinning round, there was a receipt from last month stuck in the ceiling by an ex resident, horrible.
The nights "sleep" was horrible, squeaking beds all night from just turning, and by the morning we decided we had to compain and couldnt stay the second night. The receptionist was slighty annoyed at us interrupting his personal call and we did get a full refund straight away but had to ask for some sort of sympathy or apology, which we got in the end.
The Henry hoover we saw was obviously an ornament and the reception the only part of the hotel which is decent.
On the plus side, the location is fabulous, the price ok (not really considering lack of somewhere to sleep), you get 15% of the food and drink next door, (still expensive), and chippys on either side of the hotel. This hotel needs a complete and utter renovation to be acceptable even as a cheap stay x

Room Tip: Pay a tenner more per person for a decent sleep and wash x
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank momo m
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I don't even know where to start with this review, but I may as well say for the record myself and my two friends were in the hotel no more than ten minutes and had to leave.
First off, the area in which this hotel is situated is terrible. To a tourist looking for cheap accommodation in Glasgow this might seem like a good place as it is fairly connected and close to shops but what they don't see are the hotels immediate surroundings. The area is dotted with lap dancing and strip clubs which is not ideal. Even speaking to some locals made it clear that this area is rough and not a safe place to stay, especially if you are planning to go out at night and return in the early hours of the morning.
Secondly, there were also rumors made aware to us that this hotel is used a brothel and the rooms are available for hourly rates. This does not create a great impression on guests and as my friends and I are 17-18, we felt very conscious and scared about what could happen and what we could see. Also, I am aware this has nothing directly to do with the hotel itself but upon our arrival and quick exit we walked past a group of 5 males who said to us "Amazing. Five of them, five of us!" This was sickening. We also received some vulgar comments from other guests as we were walking to our room from reception.
Thirdly, I don't believe this is actually a hotel, I'd say this is more like a hostel. Apart from the personal bathroom suite in every room instead of a communal bathroom, it is a hostel for tourists who are interested in certain after hour activities. NOT FOR REGULAR TOURISTS.
Finally, the hotels decor needs a complete update and is very dangerous. Locks on the bathroom doors did not work and uneven floorboards made it difficult to walk on.
The fact that I would rather pay double what I paid to stay here, just to stay some place else for the night shows how disappointing and horrible this hotel was. Would never come back, I would rather sleep on the streets.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amie S
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed in for 2 nights, first in a quintuple room, then double. Both were in the same condition, so no need to get into more details. This hostel definately needs total interiors' refurbishing.
Overall:
- uneven floor (even the bed was on a slope, but we managed by sleeping other way round on the divan bed)
- badly damaged ceiling tiles
- mould in the bathroom
- wallpaper falling off
- unsuitable for kids (too creepy I think)
- some bunk beds damaged and noisy
BUT
+ friendly and helpfull service
+ clean sheets and towels
+ fine heating
+ quite quiet despite facing main street
+ clean bathroom (cleaning service manages fine despite whole place falling apart)
+ very good price
+ brilliant location as hotel facing one of main streets, 10min to train station and 2 min to shops
If you are looking for budget accomodation and you are not bothered with the looks so much - this is your place. If you have more money to spend - find something else.

Room Tip: stayed in room 17 and 24 - neither perfect
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KateAnna
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Arriving on Friday to the Foyer it seemed as it had in the pictures, had booked a double room for two nights arrived up to the room to find 2 sets of bunk beds squeezed into the room. The beds were in awful condition and looked liked the had been retrieved from a scrap yard after rowdy kids had run riot on the. There was a storage heater in the room which had a do not cover sign on it, yet the single curtain which could not be opened either way to allow some natural light in draped over it. The bathroom was by far the worst, the floor was uneven with raised cracks showing through worn out lino, the shower tray looked like it had last received a clean when it was installed, the shower head had additional holes along its back and around the swivel area. The water alternated between freezing and boiling while it ran. The hot tap on the sink would not work. The toilet did not even have a cistern which was covered covered correctly nor did the bowl look like it had been cleaned in quiet some time.
The tv in the room was a standard flatscreen with no power or channel buttons so when the remote would not work we had to ask the security guard for assistance. He was the only saving grace about the hotel and spent 30+mins searching for a remote that would work.
It is called a hotel to justify charging people ridiculous amounts for sub par accommodation, reality is it's not even a good hostel. How this place is still operating as a hotel is beyond me. Do not stay here.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny B
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

First time I have booked this one, but as most of the other places i stayed at were looking for silly money I decided to give it a go as it was just for one night.t is very handy for city center and only a short walk from train stations, Reception is manned 24/7 my room was on the second floor, which was reached by a steep spiral stair thankfully I didnt have much luggage as it would of been a struggle on the stairs.My room a double had a double bed a small table at bottom of bed by the window, on this table was tea coffee bicuits and a kettel inder the table was the phone and on the wall as the side of window was small flat screen tv the was also a small wardobe in room and a mirror on the wall. There wasnt a lot of room in the roomn for anything else as the double bed was against the wall on the side as well,There was a heater on wall which was controlled in the room.The ensuite had a shower cubicle sink and toilet..It was generaly clean apart from shower tray which i rinsed before use.Over all the bedroom was clean but well dated it and in need of some tlc.Bed was basic but comfortable enough for one night,during day when i checked in i could hear coughing coming from one of rooms nearby but will be honest was not disturbed by noise during the night, except that is one the underground stoped as I think thats the rumbeling that I could hear.Was surprised to find a bag outside room in the morning with cerial carton of orrange and milk along with a disposable bowl and spoon.I did try to check in early but was told to come back later as rooms were being cleaned although was offered to leave luggage , which is more than one of the other budget chain of hotels i use has.On the whole for the money it was ok and woulld I stay again sure if it was only for one or two nights although if I could of got one of my usual places for an extra £5-10 I might not.Im sure I read somewhere that hotel had recently been refurbished I think if it has its some way of been finished.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo