“Unexplainable”
Review of St. Enoch Hotel

St. Enoch Hotel
Ranked #93 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I booked the hotel because it was the cheapest shared dorm that I found im Glasgow. The price was included with breakfast (cereal, milk and juice) in paper bag. We got clean towel everyday. And the location is very close to a mall and subway.

However, the room was a little bit too cramp. There was no door for the locker. The wifi wasn't working from the day I checked in, till the day I checked out. There was a "mini-funfair" right across the street, it was a little bit too loud, but not all through the night. The most horrible part was the clogged shower, eventhough I reported to the receptionist about it (apparently, no action). The shower was dirty from clogging.

So, I'd say, I'll give 4/5 for the price, but everything else a negative 1 star.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We arrived early so asked if we could leave bags in room - which was no problem! All of the hotel is protected by cameras < visible at reception so no worries in relation to this. Check in was quick, all details explained and girl very helpful with suggestions of pubs to visit in area. Room is what you pay for, not 5star however the bed is comfy, free wifi and clean towels daily - couldn't ask for anything else. Breakfast in a bag was also a bonus, left at your door early each morning. Also in a brilliant location, close to all shops and George's square where we were for a concert. Overall a brilliant stay at st Enoch & will stay here again if I return to Glasgow in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debbie J
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Seriously the worst hotel i've ever stayed in. The whole hotel including our room smelt disgusting, was like a fatty cooked food smell. We used our tshirts to cover the pillow cases at night as it was that bad. sticky carpet in room, dirty bathroom with toothpaste and floss left from previous guest in sink. I had a look at the duvet and it had hairs and dirt. We didn't arrive until the early hours and didn't really have much choice but to stay as we were so tired. No review could prepare me for how bad and disgusting it actually was.Never again :(

Room Tip: Don't Stay
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xLorax
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We arrived early and asked if we could leave our bags, this was fine but the room they are kept in wasn't the securest, would recommend taking any valuables just in case. Check-in was quick and easy, the receptionist was very friendly and no problems with him. Three flights of stairs were a killer but could of been worse. Room was small but as adequate for us. Room and bathroom were clean and tidy so no complaints. Packed breakfast was lovely! Wish more hotels offered this! We arrived home late and no problems getting etc. Wasn't able to take advantage of the discount in the pub next door but was nice to know its there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Reception women was not helpfull when cheking in. The place smelt vile. The stairs was filthy an smelt even worse. Words cannot described the actual room. The beds were bend an lose. Sheets an bedsing damp muky an smelly. Bathroom looked like it had never been cleaned. Stair ways was full of alcholics and heroin addicts. An to top it off are bags had been searched an some items stolen. Deffo wont be staying here again. Prison cells seem more apealing

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank unhappycustomman
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I met my friend in Glasgow.
She arrived by the afternoon, but she didn't think about checking the room, our bathroom and so on...so that I did when arrived around 23h.
It was late, I was so tired and I just wanted to relax.
When I entered in the room it was depressing.
A double bedroom with bathroom ensuite. Everything was wet, and pieces of wall were all around the room and also the bathroom (so the toilet, shower and toilet paper were not clean at all because of the pieces of wall).
I was about to go to bed...and I just realized how the sheets were...so dirty. I went down to the reception and told all that to the man in the recepcion. I asked for another room because it was so disgusting, but he said that our room was the only one... so he gave me new sheets and my intention was to change.
Then I saw the matrress...dirty again!!! and there was even an insect...I couldn't even take a look, it was too disgusting so that I went down once more and explained that I was not able to sleep there, that it was a shame and that I wanted another room.
Finally I could change to another room, it was not perfectly clean but it was enough just for one night.
I will never go back. If you want my advice, do not go there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Beatriz P
Reviewed 10 May 2014

No kidding! Im actually very surprized that this hostel has this many BAD reviews . I booked this hostel on phone with Josh (the reception guy) and the hostel barely costel me 10 pound for a Night with 6 or 4 bed sharing. I HAD read the tons of bad reviews but still gave this a shot keeping another hostel in mind for a back up if this turned out as pathetic.
So the first day ,when Josh showed me my 6 bed sharing room, the room only had an upper bunk bed which i could not use because i had just recovered from a fracture and did not want to risk my foot so i requested him if he could do something about it. He shifted to me in a double sharing room with en-suite ( no extra charge) for the first night ,following day i was shifted to the 6 bed sharing room which was pretty decent But there were some problems with this room.
The Shower drain wasnt Working (eww) and the Mirror was VERY badly placed bettween beds that you had to go up to the first bed and only then get ready and lighting of the room was also kinda poor. The reception adviced me to use the shared shower for the next day and they will see if they can shift me to another room. Next day i Was shifted to another room with 4 beds sharing. and I have NO Complaints at all. (Room no.1 ) The bed was very comfortable , the toilet (ensuite) was neat and regularly cleaned, room was well light. All the Towels ,soaps shampoo were changed and provided to us Everyday and i stuck to this room till the last day at glasgow (stayed for 6 nights) .
Please do not think, this place is a "HOTEL" ofcourse its not for 10 pounds you dont get luxury Hotels and know what youre looking for. But if youre travelling alone, or with a few friends and just need a comfortable place to stay. Really ,ignore the bad reviews Go for this place. And i have stayed at other hostels in Scotland after i left glasgow and im up to write a negative review on them so i know how better this hostel was not just better but defnitely Value for money,it has some minor flaws some of which like i told you but the best thing is they fix it for you and not act cocky like some other hotel/hostel staff. They even give you light breakfast everyday (Milk, juice ,cornflakes cookies). Besides the staff was Super sweet and friendly specially the middle aged man who sat there at Night and another young guy. There is a burger shop next to the hostel open till 2 am and a pub next to that Moreover its really at the center of everything.
I love St. Enoch Hostel and no Doubt that when im in Glasgow next im booking this place again. All though i really request that the price remains low as it is now :)
<3 Archy

Room Tip: I liked Room no. 1 and 7.
Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo