“fab food and relaxing atmosphere”
Review of Ashoka - Southside

Ashoka - Southside
Ranked #443 of 2,507 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$26 - US$53
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Curry devotees have been worshipping at the temple of Ashoka since the 80s. This, the chain���s Glasgow South Side branch, was created to appease folk from south of the river who loved the brand but hated the travel. Boasting an interior with a Last Days of the Raj meets style bar look, Ashoka has the kind of atmosphere which appeals more to bhuna babes than the middle aged ���lads��� on a rampage who frequent your average curry house. The interior may be pared down but the menu is packed with Indian favourites as well as house specialities, leaving even decisive diners with a difficult decision to make.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The food as always was great and I was encouraged to try a new dish which was lovely. The staff were all very attentive. We will be returning.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We booked for a family meal, with grandparents, my husband and I and our 6 yr old and 2 year old.
Our waiter Raj was excellent, he was super attentive and great with the kids. Raj made great recommendations esp with the fish pakora - would def recommend.
Nothing was to much bother, and he put us all at ease which is particularly important to us with a 2 year old. This was even on a Saturday tea time when many restaurants would rather not have kids in.
Raj topped it all off with a surprise piece of cake and happy birthday rendition for my dad who had a birthday that day, he had heard us mention it was a birthday meal and thought it would be a nice touch, the kids loved singing to their grandad in a restaurant.
Would definitely recommend for any family meal - we will be back.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Arrived at Ashoka Southside without booking but Assistant Manager Raj quickly found us a nice table for 3! Fantastic choice and our daughter found it hard to choose but Raj came to the rescue and suggested the fish pakora, which was delicious, and also helped her choose the main, also fab! My lamb was one of the best, and most tender, l have ever had anywhere and l have loved Indian food for 35 years! We really enjoyed our evening and to top it off we also saved 30% on the total food bill, special offer on Tues and Wed! We have now booked for Xmas Day, Raj has managed to fit us in at time we want....roll on then...though l suspect we will be returning before that! All the staff are lovely, helpful but not intrusive, Raj being particularly attentive and interested in our opinion of our visit...thank you...we WILL be back...soon! Oh, and coffee was very nice too!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Arrived early enough at the Ashoka Southside to take advantage of excellent pre-theatre deal. Starter, main and sundries for under a tenner a head. The restaurant has lovely booths which allow just the right level of privacy for a couple, or plenty of room for larger parties celebrating birthdays, anniversaries etc. The welcome is always warm with Raj, Shaz and the staff always on the ball. Our jackets were taken promptly and drinks offered very quickly along with the appetizingly sweet and spicy onions and poppadoms which we munched on contently as we perused the menu.

I ordered Chicken Chaat, a couple of very tasty chicken wings, skewered in the tandoor and then smothered in a rich and spicy chickpea sauce. Lovely. My Fiance ordered the Onion Bhaji which never disappoints.

For mains I ordered a Lamb Pardesi, a kind of saag (spinach) dish, with chilli and ginger and other spices. My Fiance had the sweet and sour deliciousness of Chicken Tikka Chasni, she really loved the extra tang of lemon and commented that she preferred it to other creamier Chasnis she might have had elsewhere. The pilau rice and peshawari naan bread were perfect accompaniments to the curries washed down with pints of Fresh OJ and lemonade. Not the lager. She's pregnant, and I was driving!

We were totally stuffed from our curry and although the dessert looked appealing we managed to evade it's clutches. There's always next time.

To conclude, a top notch curry, with top notch service and a very, very reasonable price.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I ordered a takeaway for myself and my partner and waited over an hour for it to arrive when it did arrive the driver said to myself and my partner sorry for the delay I got lost. On inspecting the food it was cold !! And the haggis pakora dried up inside mad solid !! I contacted the restaurant to be told hold on I will put you on to someone. A lady came on and said she was the complaints dept ! Which turned out not to be true ! I asked for refund as food was cold and was told not the policy !! To give refund. My meal cost £21 and I had to wait a further hour for new food to arrive. On phoning back I spoke to the same lady obviously not the complaints department ! And she said the driver told her he didn't get lost and over an hour was an acceptable time !! I told the lady I would not tell lies and both me and my partner witnessed this. Over all a very shocking service and quality of food. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone obviously they don't care about customer service !! I will be contacting harlequin head office to make a formal complaint and on telling the lady this she did not seem the least bit bothered. Thought I had to write this don't want other customers being treated this way.

2  Thank Highflyer13
shalabh g, Manager at Ashoka - Southside, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

The customer ordered food from the restaurant which was delivered within the time span of one hour, however we got a call complaining the food is cold, to which we apologised and sent out another bag of food. customer also mentioned send me a chicken pakora instead of haggis pakora and we agreed as we dont want unsatisfied customers.

after he got the delivery he called the restaurant again saying he wants refund and free food and that he knows everybody in the harlequin group and would make a complain if we charge him.

we did not agree to this and so he complained to head office and wrote this review.

I personally feel that when we apologised and when we also sent me another bag with chicken pakora instead of haggis pakora to which the customer was happy with.

moreover the previous bag when returned had half food in it and rest was already consumed by the customer.

we firmly believe in excellent customer service but we like other humans do make mistake. we will not accept any kind of blackmail. if the customer was not happy refund could be provided then why ask for another delivery and ask for refund too.