“Excellent”

Ranked #307 of 2,427 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$26 - US$52
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Curry devotees have been worshipping at the temple of Ashoka since the 80s. This, the chain���s Glasgow South Side branch, was created to appease folk from south of the river who loved the brand but hated the travel. Boasting an interior with a Last Days of the Raj meets style bar look, Ashoka has the kind of atmosphere which appeals more to bhuna babes than the middle aged ���lads��� on a rampage who frequent your average curry house. The interior may be pared down but the menu is packed with Indian favourites as well as house specialities, leaving even decisive diners with a difficult decision to make.
“Excellent”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The Ashoka Southside is a local haunt and I come here time and time again. The food is amazing - hot, fresh, huge portions - just delicious. The Ashoka Malwa is a personal favourite: spicy, punchy and tasty. The atmosphere is friendly, relaxing and cosy with lots of table space and candlelight. Our host Raj is always very professional and attentive with recommendations of new dishes to try and because he takes the time to find out what you like, he always gets it right. I generally visit as a couple but the Ashoka Southside is perfect for small or larger groups.

• Visited April 2014

“Fallen in Love Again”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

It must have been around 20 years ago that I had my first Ashoka experience and I was hooked. The dining experience was wonderful and I was also a member of their curry club which meant I could dine at home and receive great 2 for 1 offers. Then around 15 years ago I had my last Ashoka as it had all become very 'samey' with all the dishes over loaded with ginger, which meant you couldn't determine one dish, never mind spice from another.

So it was the need for a Indian restaurant close to home with a cosy setting that saw three of the family tumble into the Ashoka Southside and all I can say is I'm in love again.

The decor and atmosphere was MD style Indian restaurant which meant we were off to a good start and as we were taken to our seats I had a good feeling about the place given the welcome we received.

With the menus in our hand I poured over all the dishes and immediately noticed it included several dishes I hadn't tried before in addition to the old favourites.

Then Raj, the Assistant Manager appeared and something magical happened. He started to recommend some of the dishes based on what his customers loved and I knew it was going to be a great dining experience.

You see I love to try new things and Raj was all over the menu like a rash. The only tip I would suggest is that Raj asks about 'pallet' first in order to find out if I like mild, flavoursome or something that will have beads of sweat popping all over my forehead.

We opted for two pakora starters, one being good old vegetable which I always find acts as a benchmark for the main course along with the fish pakora, recommended by Raj and it didn't disappoint.

For my main course I had the Lamb Bombay Bakra with a few extra chillies thrown in and all I can say is you must give it a try. It was once again recommended, as was Holly's Chicken Ashoka Malwa and both dishes were full of flavour and texture, with every mouthful bringing a different surprise to the taste buds. Even Jan's chicken tikka bhoona was top notch and kicked rather than having that generic blandness that can sometimes be passed off as bhoona.

The tandoori rotis were just as I like them and my dining experience would have been 11 out if 10 if it weren't for the slightly cold gulab jaman, which, for me, ruins a jaman.

It was 15 years since I last visited the Ashoka Southside and but for a twist if fate, I'd not have visited at all. However I'm so glad I did as it was wonderful. The staff were friendly, Raj works his table well and makes you feel valued and the food is simply top notch.

Suffice to say I'll be back very soon as it's rocketed into my top three Indian restaurants to dine in and could very well be vying for top slot, it really was that good.

1 Thank Ian R
buckie
“Truly scrumptious!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is the second time we have eaten here and just had to review it again. The food is delicious with gorgeous flavours. I highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely visit the next time I am in Glasgow.

“Fabulous”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Had a fabulous meal at the Ashoka to celebrate mothers' day and a 50th Birthday. Atmosphere was great and Raj our host was extremely attentive- recommended some good food, efficient and the food was fantastic.
Can't wait to our next visit.

Danielle

“Ashoka Delights”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

From the moment we arrived the service was fantastic! Raj our waiter was very attentive and was a great help. He reccommended dishes he thought he would like and even managed to find something for my little brother to eat, which he loved, surprising us all as he is a fussy eater. The food was exceptional and each and everyone one of us enjoyed it immensely! We would all definitely reccomend taking a trip to the Ashoka Southside as the experience was nothing less than perfect. Qudos to all the staff for making it such a great place to enjoy a meal out with the family. Amy and The Martin Family