“Not what I was expecting....”

Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery
Ranked #17 of 2,570 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European, Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Anderston
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I had avoided visiting The Buttery before as I had an impression of it as being expensive, solemn and only for confirmed meat or fish eaters.

It would seem I was very wrong - we had a most enjoyable pre theatre meal there - really delicious veggie food, even with a separate veggie menu. The lemon tart was possibly the best dessert I have eaten in Scotland!

The service was friendly and it was not over-formal. The surroundings were lovely - warm with wood panelling and really nice, old fashioned cutlery and crockery. A bit like visiting an auntie who is a fabulous cook.

The place was packed at 5:15 so worth booking ahead. Not the cheapest meal ever but the pre theatre option was really excellent value.

Definitely worth a return visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,808)

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Booked the 5pm dinning offer for eight people. Service was great and couldn't fault our waiter at all. Canapés and Presecco on arrival. The menu had five starters, five mains, desserts and had a chicken and vegetarian option as well as fish. The evening was very relaxed and we were under no pressure to hurry and was accompanied by four bottles of wine and finished with coffee and petit fours. We were accommodated at the Chefs table which although interesting would not be my choice again, perhaps the Snug next time.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The two fat ladies is a great place to get good seafood. I have eaten here many times and have loved it every time. The cullen skink is very good!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I visited the buttery with my partner for my 30th Birthday. From the outside this restaurant looks like nothing special but don't be fooled by first impressions. Upon entering you are taken back in time. The restaurants interior is a beautiful piece of Scottish history, everything from the crockery to the table cloths is something special.

The menu is tailored to suit every taste & everything from the starters to the desserts is fantastically prepared & tasted great! I chose the steak & Marcus had pigeon, it was one of the best meals we have ever had.

The dessert was also lovely. As it was my 30th I had a lovely cheesecake with a beautiful happy 30th message on the plate.

All in all a great place to eat in a beautiful city

Reviewed 22 January 2014

This is a truly fantastic restaurant, from the start we were offered to have a cocktail in the bar prior to sitting down for dinner this takes place at the front of the restaurant in lounge style seating with very nice period features lots of wood & stained glass windows. We finished our cocktail & were led through to the dinning room we ate three amazing courses which is unusual for us but as the food was so good we could not resist. Great attentive staff & service all i can say is we will be back soon.