“Best Place To Stay In Glasgow?”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #14 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Los Angeles, California
“Best Place To Stay In Glasgow?”
Reviewed 12 July 2011

A smile and a cheerful welcome from the doorman, Tom, who immediately took our bags and ushered us into the hotel where an attentive and youthful staff quickly checked us in. The Blythswood is one of those high-design hotels, with a contemporary edge yet somehow the modernity is comfortable and restful. My room continued the cutting-edge design theme -- but everything contributed to a feeling of ease and functionality. Once I'd figured out the many lighting and audio options (hidden speakers in the bedroom and bathroom) I found the room very relaxing, with everything a traveler might need, including robe and slippers. Lots of towels, hot water and TV channels (including Italy's RAI which got my vote). The shower itself was unusual for a British hotel. First it worked, and second it had one of those huge monsoon shower heads. Amazing. Comfortable bed, crisp sheets and working AC. My room was above West George Street -- there was little to no traffic noise. The building used to be the headquarters of the RAC -- a motoring organization, so they have wonderful old photographs of veteran rally cars and race cars throughout the hotel, and some of those old photos have been incorporated into the massive lampshades in the bar/restaurant. It's a very cool concept. The bar and restaurant continues the contemporary design, with the chairs covered in Scottish Harris Tweed -- very hard-wearing but comfortable and different. Service in the bar was excellent both nights I was there -- the manager was extremely pleasant and made sure we got a good table. Here I have my only quibble. Not that keen on the food -- but maybe I made a poor choice and went too adventurous. One of my colleagues went for the classics -- the shrimp cocktail and the steak looked fantastic. I tried the risotto -- and the wild mushrooms let it down a bit. My appetizer seemed to be salmon sashimi with a side dish of greenish foam. It looked fantastic -- should have taken a photo -- but it didn't win any prizes in the taste stakes for me. But I'm not a 'contemporary foodie' guy so what do I know. The breakfast? Wonderful. Great buffet, and the hot breakfast -- wow. (I had boiled eggs with 'soldiers' -- pieces of toast for dipping into the soft yolks). The servers were attentive, yet not fussy -- and we were lucky enough to be looked after by a young Irish lady who had a great sense of humor -- something that's very welcome in a 5-star hotel where often you get service that is either 'distant' or over-attentive and annoying. Nothing more to add. Great experience in a hotel that is clearly working hard to exceed expectations. I didn't mention the 'spa' -- not my thing, but it's supposed to be state-of-the-art.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank filmworksusa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow
Reviewed 10 July 2011

My friend booked afternoon tea for us both on Saturday 9th July as part of a birthday gift to me. The hotel is beautiful. We arrived 10 mins early and were shown to our table, a waitress brought us over 2 glasses of water and then we were completely ignored for 40mins, my friend not wanting to spoil the afternoon by complaining managed to get the attention of one of the waiting staff and explained we had booked for 3pm this is now 3.40pm and no one had been near us, we were told this was because of a party in the spa!! (Who cares!! employ more staff. - when you make a reservation in a 5 star hotel you expect decent service. This is not a one off as I had been there for cocktails a few months previous again very slow service. I give this a thumbs down, would rather spend my money elsewhere and get better service.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank littlemadamj
nallera, Manager at Blythswood Square, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. We will take your comments on board, however, should you wish to discuss this further we would be delighted to hear from you. Please email natalie@thetownhousecollection.com.
Scotland
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Having booked and pre-paid this hotel because it's in the same boutique group as the Bonham in Edinburgh, I read one or two slightly disappointing reviews and was slightly aprehensive prior to my arrival. but since my arrival (I'm here for the Davis Cup matches at Braehead) the staff have been extremely helpful, polite and efficient. Room service is very speedy. The classic room is very elegant with an enormous bathroom. The food is wonderful

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Jill-Jack
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2011

this is a very good hotel , w e were there for 2 nights to go to the highland show (also bril ) the gentleman manager was very helpful and made you feel welcome will def stay here again

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My wife and I stayed in a deluxe room and it was excellent value for money. We arrived early afternoon and our room wasn't quite ready, I had prebooked afternoon tea so we went upstairs for it to be served. We were asked for our room number but hadn't been informed of this yet, I explained this to the manager of the bar and showed the lady the receipt, this puzzled her though and said she would get this later. When afternoon tea was over she sought of followed us back to reception and got our room number and then charged us again forth afternoon tea we had already paid for and explained to her (this was easily sorted on checkout). Bar was busy in evening and it took at least 15 mins to get served but it had a good vibe and was very chilled out. Room was fantastic with a free movie thrown in. My wife is pregnant and they even supplied her with a support pillow. Very clean rooms and a good size. Will be going back for sure.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Wardyward5
Luton
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Booked the hotel as a surprise for my husbands 40 th birthday and a dinner party for 13 in the hotel. I cannot thank the hotel enough for making our two night stay and family meal so memorable and treating us like royalty throughout our stay. The staff were so helpful and went out of their way to help our elderly relatives negotiate the stairs and nothing was too much trouble. Despite a very busy restaurant the meal was fantastic and had a great atmosphere which helped to make the night. The hotel coped well with the children and gluten free diet with gluten free bread available at all meals. We felt like nothing was too much trouble and had five star treatment from the moment we arrived with the
welcoming friendly doorman and everyone else we encountered during our stay. The room was lovely good size loved the decor all meals tasty well cooked and presented with imagination. Drinks were well priced and can recommend the treacle cocktail !!! Spa area huge and we had it pretty
much to ourselves at 6 - 7 pm. The hotel is lovely a real treat and great price - I got a discount via Facebook so even better. I will definitely be back .

• Stayed June 2011
Scotland
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I must agree with previous reviews the Hotel is Stunning but the design in the bedroom had many practical issues. The staff on reception did not seem to be enjoying there work, they were very polite but surly and seemed a little arrogant, I was really looking forward to staying here as I had read many good reviews, but feel that there is something missing not sure what exactly, maybe needs a little more heart and soul.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ogram
nallera, Manager at Blythswood Square, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. We will take your comments on board, however, should you wish to discuss this further we would be delighted to hear from you. Please email kieran@thetownhousecollection.com.