“Sunning but expensive”

Ranked #14 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Sunning but expensive”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Blythswood Square Hotel is definately a 5 star treat however it is very expensive so be warned! Is it worth it? I would say very much so. The fact that certain celebrities choose to stay here says it all. Rooms are very comfortable and spacious although the lack of double glazing can make it noisy during the night.

Amazing menu's with great choice. Breakfast is very pleasant and service is first class.

Thoroughly reccomend it.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Strathclyde
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed two nights at Blythswood Square and dined in-house on both evenings. Cocktails are a real MUST have here! Bedrooms are spacious and so truly, utterly comfortable and quiet. Both breakfast and evening meals were very good quality with impeccable service. On second night we were seated on a couch instead of dining chairs - take note this was not the best though I am sure if we had requested we could have been moved. Overall we can well recommend Blythswood Square as a great place to stay, dine and relax yet be in such easy reach of Glasgow city centre shops.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room adn would happily take same again.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Super food and ambiance - loved it. Ate on a deal which was 3 courses for £20 per head and a bottle of prosecco. Food was the best I have had in Glasgow - gorgeous.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Oxford
Reviewed 27 November 2011

This hotel oozes class from its seams.

The service was exceptional from the moment we stepped through the door. The room was fantastic, as was the food - and the spa facilities were best I have come across.

The only criticism, was the noise from the street outside, if only they had double glazing on the rooms at the front...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We had our wedding reception, breakfast and evening reception with Blythswood Square and I can not rate it highly enough. Neither could our guests. If you want simple, classic elegance with amazing service, attention to detail and a relaxed atmosphere, this is the place for you. Where to begin...

We were looked after by Michelle Thomson, who is not only lovely to deal with, but incredibly professional and organised (as are ALL the staff there). She is always on hand to answer questions and if she is not, she always gets back to you at the earliest opportunity. We can not thank her enough for the time and effort she put into our day, and the exceptional service she ensured we received from start to finish. If you want the perfect day, and for everything to run like clockwork, Michelle is the person to speak to! If I go into everything, this will be a VERY long review, so I'll break it down as simply as possible...

Pre-wedding:
Planning and organising was very easy and relaxed.
No question goes unanswered.
The staff / hotel are friendly, professional and very good at making you feel like a special guest.
Fantastic choice of menu, canapés, evening buffet, wines, drinks, cocktails etc.
Far more reasonably priced than you would imagine from a 5* venue – I have been to weddings where the food cost just a little less, if not the same, but the quality of what you are served by the chef is worth every penny, not just for the breakfast, but for the canapés also. Everything we had was cooked perfectly.
The pre-wedding tasting session was AMAZING. We were treated like royalty, and not only that, we got to taste our chosen menu (2 starters / 2 mains / 2 desserts), our chosen wines, prosecco & cocktails we put on for our guests prior to choosing the final breakfast. This in itself was a fantastic experience. All the staff knew our names and welcomed us. They all knew the date of our wedding and congratulated us. I know this sounds a bit sickly, but it was very pleasant and not done in a sycophantic way. The knowledge of the food by every staff member being served was incredible! All in all a brilliant experience!
We had lots of family / friends staying (in some cases for 4 nights) and we were offered a very good reduction on the rooms for our guests.
The rooms available for your reception are beautiful: we had the whole Monte Carlo suite, the Rally Bar and the Private Screening room (for the children). All are simply but tastefully decorated and extremely comfortable. The pics on the website do not do them justice at all. The Harris Tweed chairs add a real Scottish feel to your day without being tacky. There is also a wee room off the Rally Bar which leads to the terrace (if you have any smokers in your wedding party).
Bedrooms are also beautiful. The only complaint I had was the noise from the street outside. We had a room at the front of the hotel. I do appreciate the windows are part of the character of the building (ie: not PVC), but the noise from passers by was quite bad. I couldn’t sleep the night before my wedding because of it, which wasn’t the best start to the big day. If you book at room at the back of the hotel, you don’t have this problem. I would like to stress that this is my ONLY gripe!

The Day / Evening:
Ran like clockwork.
The staff are very efficient, friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them.
The day & evening went without a hitch (all down to Michelle’s eye for detail and professionalism).
Canapes were delicious – the staff handing them out made sure that our veggie guests were presented with the options they could eat first. This was important to me as my Dad is veggie, as are 2 of my close friends. Veggies are often overlooked… not at the Blythswood!
The food and drink were amazing / delicious / beautifully presented. Seriously the best wedding food I have ever eaten (and I am being objectional here - honestly). Practically all of our guests commented about how good the food was. The veggie option was exceptional too.
The cocktails we put on for our guests were beautifully presented and so tasty! They even managed to make the non-alcoholic cocktails for our few non-drinkers look amazing (same too with the daytime non-alcohol option of raspberry cordials).
The evening buffet food was fantastic. Really good quality and beautifully presented. I know this sounds biased, but genuinely the best looking buffet food I have ever seen at a wedding. All exceptional quality too.

There’s so much more I can say, but I would be here all night.

What I can say is you can not go wrong booking your wedding here. It truly was an amazing day. Both myself and my husband were so confident in the staff and Michelle, that we thoroughly enjoyed it (too many couples stress about their day so much that they can't sit back and relax). I know our guests enjoyed the day, food, drink & venue too.

This is the place if you are looking for a classy, relaxed day with the best food and drink you can offer your guests.

A 5* experience from start to finish!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nang1975
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Spent a Saturday night at this hotel with my boyfriend,. the hotel was beautiful the room were quiet and decorated to a very high standard. The Spa was simply beautiful with all the different spa rooms ie sauna steam & hydro pool.
cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: All rooms i imagine are fab
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Spent Sunday in the Spa with a excellent lunch,washed down with a bottle of chilled Prosseco.
The Spa is the best I have experienced, beautiful relaxing surroundings and fantastic therapist..
Cannot wait to go back..hoping Santa may bring me a gift voucher to go back soon.
The hotel itself has beautiful clean rooms, a fantastic comfy bed and very relaxing bathroom...one thing missing hot towel rail..only complaint..
Resturant, dinner and breakfast first class, with a very good choice of menu, served by excellent staff..

Highly recommend Blythswood..thankyou to all the staff

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends