“1st Class Hotel & 1st Class Service. Very enjoyable stay indeed. Sheer luxury! Now my 4th visit and won't be my last!”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Sumptuous overnight stay with a friend. Luxurious room overlooking Blythswood Square. Can't fault this hotel for Service, Food, Room, Spa, friendly Staff, Top Class Service all round.
Just a wonderful experience from the minute you walk through the door to the sad time that you have to check out. And to be in the centre of Glasgow with all the City facilities available too.......well, nothing can beat this Hotel & Spa in Glasgow. Have stayed now 4 times and it now feels like my second home x

Room Tip: Room 324 overlooking the Square. Gorgeous.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank chrmacmurdie

Reviewed 28 February 2012

The Blythswood Square Hotel is absolutely stunning to look at, with beautiful touches and thoughtful design at every turn. It also has the most luxurious spa, which I enjoyed completely to myself on Saturday evening. It seemed that everyone else was in the gorgeous bar enjoying cocktails at that time, and the atmosphere was fantastic. I was very lucky and got upgraded to the amazing Blythswood Suite, which was so decadently enormous I just kept walking around it for a while! Travelling by myself for a yoga retreat, I felt very indulgent having such a gigantic suite to myself, but I made the most of it with room service for dinner and breakfast, and both were delicious. The service was the single best thing about my stay though: every single member of staff I encountered was lovely, and nothing seemed too much trouble. I would highly recommend this hotel. It's truly a five star experience, and for me it's a huge plus for Glasgow's hotel scene. Beautiful yet comfortable, elegant yet funky, sophisticated yet welcoming, it's the essence of luxury, fun and top-class service, all at once. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The Blythswood Suite is huge, gorgeous and stunning if you can afford it. Only the Townhouse Suite a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I booked Blythswood Square as a surprise for my partner based purely on the fact it was a newish 5 star hotel in an ideal location. Whilst the hotel looks fabulous on the surface it has a number of service and cosmetic issues which just should not exist in a 5 star property.

We were allocated room 311 which had an interior courtyard view. Given the lack of natural light and the dark materials used in the room we actually found the room dark even with all the lights on. The bathroom is fully lined in brown marble which makes it a dark environment too. Strangely there were no towel rail, so once a towel was used the only place to put it was over the bath.

Unfortunately the attention to detail on the finishes used in the room, let the hotel down ever further. We had cracked plaster work, unpainted surfaces, burnt lamp shades and marked floors and walls. In a true 5 star hotel rooms shouldn't have this much wear and tear.

The other thing that astounded me about the service on offer from Blythswood Square is that they offer a late checkout of 12:00 on a sunday but they finish serving breakfast at 10:00. When we checked in we were actually advised that breakfast gets busy about 9:30 so to ensure we get fed it would be better to come down around 9ish. This is also reiterated in the welcome pack in the room. If customer service is at the heart of what they do, it would surely be a good idea to extend the breakfast serving so guests can have a lie in at the weekend.

I do appreciate that in isolation none of these issues are major but when you add them all up, it rather took the shine off what was supposed to be a surprise weekend at a 5 star hotel.

I have complained to the hotel since my stay and they have admitted that the room wasn't up to their usual standard. I can't tell if we were just unlucky or there is a more widespread problem with attention to detail at Blythswood Square, either way, I doubt very much I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Was given a 1 night stay here for our anniversary. What a treat. Everything was great. Service excellent - special thanks to Wendy who showed us our room and the spa gave us useful information and sent up some treats when she heard why we were staying. The spa was superb. Shame you could only use it for free at night or first thing in the morning(£20 at other times which is not bad) but it was worth the wait!! Breakfast was amazing - everything you could ask for (including a full vegetarian cooked).Location -very central and got parked easily outside. Would definitely recommend - don't think twice.

1  Thank hungryhorris
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I've just stayed at Blythswood for the second time in 2 years and while my second stay did not quite have the high standards of the first, I would likely go back again. I chose it because I was in town to attend the Glasgow Film Festival and it's location is close by the GFT.

The hotel has a classic style with modern twists to it, very beautiful, with a friendly door man to greet you and service at the front desk is always professional. The rooms are spotless and again very stylish. Although, the lighting throughout is terrible - dim and sometimes not in the most functional location. There was almost constant noise coming from the bathroom. Couldn't quite tell if it was water sounds from other rooms or some kind of ventilation. At some moments it was bothersome.

There appear to be a lot of new additions since my last visit, as the part of the hotel I stayed in this time did not have the same (classic) took to it as what I remembered. There is also a spa introduced (free to guests in the early morning and late evening hours) but I did not get the opportunity to use it.

My only disappointments this time were with some of the service. I was pleased when they offered a newspaper for the morning but there was no mention whatsoever that I'd be charged for it. Considering that it was a local paper this just seems wrong to charge. And we received some wrong orders in our breakfast 2 days in a row. Apparently some items were out and instead of informing us they just brought something else without notice or question. Unfortunately they were items we couldn't eat. And we were delivered completely empty coffee and tea pots, regular milk when we ordered soy, and other small errors.

On the upside, when we went to the lounge, service was fantastic and there is a pretty impressive cocktail menu. Try the Blythswood Cocktail! Food was also very good and, in comparison to what I've seen in other hotels, still reasonably priced.

Room Tip: I remember my room on the old side of the hotel to be nicer and quieter.
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This really is a gem of a hotel - fantastic service, great staff, good location. As soon as you pull up in the car you feel special - the concierge comes out to meet you, the check in is friendly, they will keep your bags for you if the room isn't ready......

Rooms are very boutique, bathrooms are contemporary with a seperate shower and toilet area. Massive comfy bed, everything you need in the room - iron, board, hairdryer, mini bar!!! Couldn't get the ipod connection to work but apparently you can have this playing in the room.

Went upstairs to the bar - good range of cocktails available. Also used the spa facilities in the morning which are free during certain times for residents - fantastic - would have liked to spend all day there.

Great breakfast - choice of cold buffet items or hot menu to order.

Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Glasgow - it's wonderful.

1  Thank Tiggytogs
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We ate at the Blythswood the other day. Myself and two companions were going to a gig and decided to meet for cocktails in the Salon in the hotel.
I'm glad to report that the service in the Salon has improved tenfold since my last visit (shortly after the place opened) when service had been slow at best and glacial at worst. I arrived later than my friends and was served straight away by a knowledgeable and efficient waitress. The cocktail list is exciting, innovative and not expensive. I would urge anyone to try it. As it was raining and we had little time we decided to try the restaurant in the hotel rather than one of the many decent eateries in the area.
The restaurant kitchen opens at 6 o'clock. We were among the first in the room. Service was attentive but not disruptive. Two menus were produced, the Market Menu (table d'hote) and the main restaurant menu. We ordered a selection of dishes from across the options, with me sticking to the market menu deal (two courses for £16.95) and my friends ordering a combination of market menu specials and a la carte offerings.
Everything was good. The reworked prawn cocktail made with lobster and crayfish is expensive but large and delicious. My terrine was properly made and correctly sauced. Mains of Fois Gras Burger (a smallish but correctly cooked lobe of the notorious delicacy balanced on a rare handmade burger) and another of Coley (from the market specials) were well presented and substantial. Sadly my main of pork was niggardly, three small, thin rounds of pork loin do not a main make...nor had it been terribly kindly treated as it had become rather tough - no mean trick with a forgiving meat like pork loin.
Special mention goes to the chips. Worth the visit on their own.
Wine is reasonably priced and an interesting selection has been made
Overall more than a good effort - especially given that this is an hotel kitchen. Food like this shames most of the fine dining establishments in the City. One mark off for the pork, (allowing for which I will certainly and speedily return) otherwise this would be ten out of ten.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends