“Not 5 star service”

Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow
“Not 5 star service”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My wife and I booked a suite at the blythswood for our wedding night expecting a five star hotel with five star service but were left disappointed. It started before we checked in. The hotel wouldn't allow us to book tables for our family to join us for breakfast the day after the wedding. Some had come from Australia and we were keen to catch up and reflect on the day before. They then cancelled the suite we had booked due to a mix up. Whilst this was also partly my fault, this was the last thing I needed a week before my wedding.

We also requested early check in to allow for either myself or the bride to get ready there and avoid checking in late at night but were told it was not possible. I can understand them wanting to keep the suite available if someone wanted it the night before as it was a £450 room. But there was no offer of another room to use or any real alternatives. I might be being overly pedantic but for 5 stars on our wedding day I expect them to go out of their way to make us happy.

Finally I was hoping for a nice touch in the room to reflect the occasion. I've heard of other hotels leaving bottles of bubbly in the room for wedding couples. We received complimentary (I assume) small bottles of water. Not even a congratulations when we checked in, my new wife complete with wedding dress. Again maybe I expect too much, but it was five star. I stayed at citizen m the night before and the staff came up to me and shook my hand and wished me luck, there was a free drink in the room, and the staff put two rounds of drinks behind the bar for me and my grooms party. That was five star service.

So all in all although the room and facilities were great, the service was cold and unfamiliar. I expected much more. For a short stay it's great but for a special occasion I would opt for somewhere with a more personal touch. They seem not to see the need to try due to their reputation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I have only recently joined tripadvisor but I have stayed at the Blythswood Square, Glasgow several times and can say it is without doubt one of the best hotels in Scotland. The cocktail list is 1st class as are the restaurant and the spa is fantastic. My only down side and the only reason that it does not get top rating is that the breakfast each time I've stayed has been unfortunately average.

The rooms are great even the standard ones, if you can get one with the sliding partition from the bathroom, a nice touch indeed.

2 Thank GRP01
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Visited the spa for a day with my Mum.
Spa is out of this world & definitely the best I have experienced in Scotland.
Had a Hebridean seaweed bath which was very relaxing!!
Cocktails at the hotel are lovely!
I had booked a room a few months previously for my Mums birthday as a treat for her & my Dad & they loved it!! Room was gorgeous. Fabulous bathroom.
Worth a visit for sure!!

• Stayed June 2011
London
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Love this hotel, comfy room lovely bathroom, staff highly accommodating warm and friendly. Spa is really special the hot stone massage is to die for. There are areas that need improvement though, tv in my room was to small for the size of the room, had intermittent signal and a tad cheap for a five star hotel, toilets in the salon bar really are awful they smell and are horrible, spa does not supply cold towels and cold water and some of the amazing water features are broken.

It's still the best spa hotel in Glasgow by far

Room Tip: Best rooms face the square
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Having enjoyed business dinners and other facilities in the Blythswood Hotel we selected it for a business meeting and decided that with 6 people who wished to stay overnight, rather than use the larger facilities we should use the Penthouse Suite where we could dine the evening before our discussions and hold our meeting the following day. This transpired to be a brilliant choice. The food, attentive service and accommodation was all absolutely superb. The banquetting manager ensured personally that we never had to ask for anything and that we had someone in attendance throughout the evening and whenever we had arranged the following day. The ambiance was particularly well suited to a business meeting although the hotel is undoubtedly a very nice place to stay for a leisure break or any other purpose. The Penthouse Suite has it own private lift entrance and the spacious accommodation, vast bathroom, open west-facing prospects and private roof terrace all made this a quiet, private location that facilitated discussions.

Room Tip: It is a city centre location. We have used the different standard of rooms of offer and found them...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
England
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Best hotel in Glasgow. Service was faultless from the doormen to the Master Mixologist in the Cocktail bar to the room staff to reception to the restaurant.
This is a hotel where the staff want it to be the best hotel and you can feel that.
I would put this on a par with the service from St Martins Lane in London (which is also exceptional).
Room was great but just a tiny bit too small your room service on a table - stayed in both a Wee Classic and Classic - not much difference, Classic had a sofa at the end of the bed.
I would fully recommend this hotel. It is a perfect mix of original features and contemporary.
I am great believer in going back to places where the service is exceptional and I will most certainly be going back there.
The cocktail book (yes a proper hard back book) was inspiring. If you like your dark spirits you must try a Black Pearl - or Pirate's P*ss as we renamed it - buy it and you'll find out why!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

My partner and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at The Blythswood Square Hotel. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated extremely special. The Deluxe Suite was beautiful with the most gorgeous marble bathroom and a great view overlooking Blythswood Square.

We made use of the Thermal Spa which was utterly Amazing! I could have spent hours in the Spa but had a reservation booked in the restaurant which all I can say to is WOW!

We sampled the Market Menu which was delightful! Fresh, seasonal ingredients that make me have a party in my mouth every time I am reminded!!!

The restaurant has a warm friendly atmosphere with very attentive staff and all I can say is that this was Culinary Excellence!

If you have the opportunity to have the pleasure of a stay at The Blythswood Square Hotel, do not make any plans to leave the hotel as it has all you need and more to make your stay luxurious, special and memorable.

We will definitely be using The Blythswood Square Hotel again, either as an overnight stay, Spa Day, Dining, Cocktails or even Afternoon Tea, it has it ALL!!!

I want to thank all the staff for their attentiveness, professionalism and thoughtfulness combined with the beautiful surroundings making them in my opinion, the Leaders in Hospitality!!!