“Nice hotel but a bit unfinished round the edges”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #14 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
London
“Nice hotel but a bit unfinished round the edges”
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night with my husband. We had a great size room with a large, comfy bed. We just found the hotel seemed like it had been finished in a rush. None of the internal doors in the room shut properly and there was a lack of basic but useful things such as towel hooks. There was a big lampshade over the bed - this didn't bother me bu I didnt particularly like looking up at all the cobwebs in it. There is no doubt tat this is a beautiful hotel and with a little attention to detail it coud be fantastic.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Great hotel! Love the spa. Had an excellent meal in the restaurant - I had the lobster and my bf had the steak. Both loved our dishes! Comfy bed, heated flooring in the bathroom was a nice touch and also the film selection on the TV is just great. Will definitely be returning :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Saint Ferme
Reviewed 26 February 2013

only stayed here a few times so I'm no expert but with the experience I have, I can only be positive. Fabulous location, slap bang in the middle of the city (it's nice to see Blythswood Square less densely populated with prostitutes nowadays) , easy parking and so long as you don't eat here, it's not too expensive. The bar on the first floor has a cool, city vibe considering this is Glasgow, not Manhattan and the drinks are well made by efficient staff. Would happily return if I ever felt the need to go back to Glasgow.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Don't be put off by some negative comments, this is a great hotel, great location overlooking Blythswood Square, excellent spa, and a very nice bar. I am a Glaswegian and its great to see such a beautiful building being restored to this lovely hotel. Best hotel in Glasgow in my opinion. Must be one of the best spas in Glasgow. Great decor inside, food is also very good. The only downside, like other city centre hotels is the parking, it's free after 6 but during the day the meters are pricey .

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
amsterdam
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Our 3rd stay at this hotel - once per year for the last 3 years. First stay, I loved it. Second stay, still very good though some shortcomings (see also my earlier review). Third stay unfortunately, making me think I won't stay there again.

As I started to notice during the last visit, the service seems to be declining. No assistance was given when trying to bring our luggage up or down the outside steps. Personality during check in was quite dry, even dare I say a little unfriendly/unhelpful (when we tried to ask a couple simple questions).

The upstairs salon is still very attractive looking. But we had a lot of trouble to get attention when trying to order drinks, get the menus, pay the bill. Unfortunately, the cocktail menu I was so happy about in my last review is also no longer available (new version has only a few listings - nothing like the old one). They state that they still have all the possibilities to make the same drinks as before. But really, if I would know all the possible cocktails that could be made, I'd be a bartender.

The room still was very clean and neat. The poor lighting just seemed to annoy me even more this time though.

And the noise... We were on the same level as the salon, though not right next to it. But we could hear sound from it regardless. Plus, loud music. Possibly from the kitchen because it seemed to start just in the hour before breakfast started until the late evening. We could also hear some shouting - potentially also from the kitchen (maybe orders being shouted, I don't know). It was pretty constant.

We go to Glasgow every as part of the Film Festival. I think next year we'll probably try to find another place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed for a couple of days on business and got a cracking late deal which made the whole thing even better. The room was lovely - a really luxurious bathroom and a very comfortable bed. The walls were clearly thick enough to render my near neighbours an irrelevance (I'm a light sleeper) which was another plus point.
I didn't try the spa but my colleague did and only had good things to say, so maybe next time. We ate twice in the hotel restaurant, from their fixed price menu (very reasonable) and this was very good on both nights.
One thing that did set this place apart was the service, which was truly top notch. The small things make a difference when you're travelling and this place came up trumps i.e,. a lost phone cover was found and posted to my home within a day and the general conduct of the front of house and waiting staff was a lesson in attentive, unobtrusive service. It wasn't just me - I spent an informative couple of hours meeting with colleagues in the reception area and saw the same standard applied to each customer. A great advert for Glasgow!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
scotland
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Just home from overnight dinner bed and breakfast including the SPA . What a treat. The hotel and bedrooms are fab and the comfiest bed ever. The food was fab the service was fab and the SPA WAS JUST DELISCIOUS . Well worth a wee visit my friend and I both agree we will be back. Well done blythswood for your customer service.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends