“Worth a visit.”

Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
tOronto
“Worth a visit.”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Excellent downtown Glasgow hotel close to everything you will want to see. Common areas (bars, restaurant, spa) are all stylish and in keeping with period of the hotel. Room was somewhat small and shower/toilet area was very small. The halls to the rooms are very plain and basic and it is very awkward moving around the hotel to other room areas.

Staff was very friendly and helpful, particularly the concierge staff. Food in restaurant was good and service was fine but the wait for our food was interminable (we were provided a free cocktail in recompense.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
england
Reviewed 23 August 2013

If i am spending over £600 a night at a Hotel , i do not expect the Spa to restricted to 2 hours in the early morning and 4 hours in the evening the rest of the time you pay £20 extra ...... family of 4 therefore extra £80 per day , i really hate this second class attitude towards guests.No-one shows you around the Spa .
We asked for a turn down in our suite, but it never happened ......very annoyed wife.Bathroom like a flood after use. TV controls hopeless in room . We had 2 tv's , one was a special sound devise but the lowest volume of the was too loud and for fear of disturbing fellow guests we did not use the TV after 10pm and read books instead!
Previous guest had eaten and drunk items from the minibar and then replaced them very carefully so they looked unused!!!What a cheek.
I liked the Spa , the personal service , the location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mabaeEngland
Newcastle
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

This boutique hotel is pretty with a stylish reception. The bar and restaurant areas are open plan and contemporary. The only negative is that the service for food and drinks is very slow. Staff were polite and friendly. The free wifi is good and available throughout the hotel. The rooms are large, nicely decorated with luxurious bathrooms and have all modern facilities.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

We booked into The Blythswood Square hotel for one night.

First impressions were ok but there was no kind of concierge service on arrival as you would expect at a 5* hotel. (We were on a two week trip to the UK and had 2 full suitcases along with 2 hand luggage bags) which we had to struggle up to the hotel with quickly as we couldn't find any parking spaces available close by.

We checked in and my partner went to sort the car while I went to check out the room. Again no concierge or trolley for the bags I had to drag them along with one of the receptionists through what felt like a very long corridor (room 165)Not the best start to feeling pampered in a top hotel.

The room was great, nice and bright, good amenaties and a spacious bathroom with seperate big bath tub and shower.

As we were only staying for one night we chose to spend the evening in the hotel.

We decided to take advantage of the spas thermal experience which is complementary to hotel guests between 6-9pm. When we arrived at the spa the staff member was quite brief and left us to work out where to go on our own. It would have been nice to have the experience explained to us and where to go etc. The thermal spa was amazing, we took our time to work our way around all the different rooms and pools and were both feeling very relaxed in no time!

We then showered and changed and went to the cocktail bar for a pre dinner drink. The menu was great with a nice explanation to the history and ingredients behind each of the drinks. The menu was huge, we could have sat in there all night working through the different tipples. The bar staff member who served was was great and took the time to have a chat, we were then shown down to the restaurant for our 9pm reservation.

It was a Sunday night so we expected it to be quiet however the whole restaurant was buzzing and had a great atmosphere.

The service was ok but having lived in the Middle East for the past 5 years we are spoilt with experiences in 5* hotel restaurants. Unfortunately we were left disapointed after our Blythswood Square dinner. The food took quite a while and we both found the food over priced for what we received. Our glasses were left empty despite having purchased a bottle of wine and I felt the other tables were a little too close - we could hear everybody else's conversations!

Next we went to watch some TV in bed, the package was great and there was also complementary films to choose from. We both woke up the next day after a great nights sleep, feeling refreshed!

We went to breakfast and were a little confused as to what to do, no body explained whether it was a buffet or whether we needed to order from a menu. We were sat for quite a while before anybody came over, we were then shown the menu and explained we could order hot food and that we could help ourselves to the continental buffet around the corner.

Tea and coffee was served quickly with the breakfast soon afterwards, we both went for the full Scotish breakfast which was lovely. Toast was not offered and we only realised it was available when we saw other guests with toast racks. By the time we received our toast we had eaten our hot food. The continental buffet was lovely with a great selection of juices along with the vodka available for a Bloody Mary for those who fancied! The freshly baked pastries were delicious and we left feeling full and set up for the day!

Overall I would say we had a good experience during our Blythswood Square hotel a couple of tweaks with service could make it amazing!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband & I stayed in a classic room. Room was slightly smaller than I'd anticipated but it didn't detract from the ambience or the plushness of the room. It was everything I expect from a 5* hotel and more. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic to the point we stayed in to dinner instead of going out to dine. The breakfast menu was superb even to having a bottle of whisky next to the porridge!! and yes I did try it! We invited friends to afternoon tea and had a fantastic 5 hours and not once were we made to feel that we had outstayed our welcome. The spa, I personally found a bit dark due to the fact I wear glasses and everything was blurry so had to keep them on...not good in a steam room! The quality, service, friendliness of the staff made our stay a pleasure. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you want pampering.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a courtyard view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at Blythswood Square on numerous occasions and still have that love/hate relationship with it.

Pros:
Fantastic beds, very comfy, up there in my top 5 best beds I have slept in.
Nicely decorated room, lovely Harris tweed throws and relaxing colours.
Free movies, including a lot of new releases.
Cocktails are delicious (although what happened to the lovely book menu, limited choice now).
Spa is lovely.

Cons:
Staff with the exception of the doorman and the mixologist guy. Check-in staff are the worst, fake smiles, uninterested, not asking if we enjoyed our stay....no interaction at all, very disappointing, first impressions very much count.
Access to spa is at limited times for guests, never experienced this at any other 5 star hotel.
Room is very badly designed, the bathroom door scrapes along the floor and doesn't fit the frame, the marble in the bathroom is all eroded, the shower leaks all over the bathroom floor, no towel rails, bathroom mirror is a nightmare to apply makeup, too dark in bathroom.
Access to bar/restaurant, the floors are filthy, it looks terrible - perhaps a change of carpet. Sat at bar and quite a few little fruit flies were flying about, landing on my drink - this leads me to think that the bins are not being cleared away. It actually put me off eating in the restaurant.
Restaurant menu always uninspiring, nothing on the menu ever entices me. There are far too many exceptional restaurants in Glasgow.
TV is always a hit or a miss, the remote is very unresponsive - can be irritating when you are trying to chill.
I had several room issues at the time and was promised they would be fixed (bulbs out, tv surround sound not working), in the 2 day stay and after requesting them 3 times, they were never fixed and no apology.

Overall, it is most probably the bed that makes me come back to Blythswood, very cosy. Sadly this isn't enough and the hotel has the potential to be so much better. Personal service is very important to me and the feeling of being made welcome but Blythswood leaves me feeling cold, although I always get a great sleep! This hotel is a 5 star boutique hotel, emphasis on the boutique, it doesn't have the driving force or the skilled operational functions of say The Adlon in Berlin which I recently stayed at....now that place knows service!

Will I be back? Probably. Will I still feel like something is missing? Absolutely. For the money, styling and location, it probably is the best hotel in Glasgow city centre, just don't expect the wow factor or personal service.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ILikeToTwirl
Kilmarnock, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have stayed here several times and it has become our favourite place to stay.
The rooms are large, luxurious and comfortable.
The staff are friendly and very helpful.
My partner has booked a room for my birthday the past couple of years and had received a lovely note and a rose welcoming us back and thanking us.
Last time we stayed was a Sunday and we got a great room and mela package. The 3 course Market Menu was delicious and very cheap!
The spa is the icing on the cake. Free of charge and lots to do- there's no need to leave the hotel. If you do fancy a jaunt into the city then you won't have far to travel. A great hotel in a great location.
I can't wait for my next visit!

• Stayed April 2013