“Rubbish food,terrible customer service. Great to visit for Spa/Drinks, but nothing else.”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #14 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed 2 nights Thu-Sat with my husband to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Heard a lot of hype on what a fantastic place it was, only to find it disappointing.

The hotel was not clearly visible from the road (tip for future guests-look for the tacky red lights in all windows) and having booked valet service for our vehicle, found that the hotel do not have their own parking lot but use a multi-storey car park in central glasgow.

Spa was nice, we both had deep tissue massage, 55mins. The massuese gave us a mini pedicure and asked what areas to concentrate on, back and neck for us both, however rather than have a full body massage with extra time focused on these areas we only got a long back massage....perhaps mis-communication but this was a little disappointing for us.

Dinner afterwards, well, my husband commented was comparable to a Wetherspoons pub, but with worse service. They got his starter wrong, gave him rubbery rump steak rather than sirloin and the next day when we ordered 2 sandwiches on room service it took over an hour to get them. Someone else had taken them! They did not charge us for the steak course or the sandwiches but this is terrible service for a reputedly 5 start hotel.
**Fri night we went to French restaurant Brian Maule round the corner from the Hotel, similar food prices but 100X better than the Hotel restaurant, don't eat at the Hotel, go here instead!**

The hotel billing information on the in-room tv did not work, on checking out the bill was very confusing and did not itemise everything. We felt rushed and as a result were overcharged 40 to 75GBP. I mentioned this to the receptionist who was rather snooty and confused me even farther so on checking at home I called the hotel to explain I was overcharged. In the end they called and apologised and did refund this back to us (somone had used wrong room number and was added to our bill) but this could have been avoided by a clearer billing process showing every item.

Overall...

+lovely spa
+staff in the salon were excellent, made us a special cocktail and martinis
+nice rooms
+free movies
+nice breakfast

-rubbish restaurant
-unclear billing (get the in room billing to work, would help!)
-room service also rubbish
-reception staff could be more customer focused

We would not stay here again.

2 Thank L T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Midlothian
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Everything was great, the spa, the room, the cocktail bar, the staff...really great place for a special night or weekend away! Looking forward to going back, will be planning a girlie night as well as another night/weekend with my husband!

Room Tip: We had a standard room which was lovely.
EDINBURGH
Reviewed 24 October 2013

OK.... here goes.

On arriving at the hotel which is a bit hidden away and hard to find, I was told my room was not ready and told to have a seat and wait, There are no seats in the loby to wait nothing to do whilst I had to wait for 3 hours! No paino bar to wait in and relax not even a TV! NO LUXURYS AT ALL. the lobby is very basic and a empty noisy, cold cheap feel to it.FOOD TERRIBLE! So i went to have my lunch. I was shown to my lunch table and there was no menu, nobody even offerd me a menu or a drink I got up and took one from another table this made me feel a bit awkward. I sat and waited for sombody to take my order but after a long wait nobody came. I managed to place an order with a member of staff who I dont know if they were supposed to be working in the resteraunt. I had a pint of guiness whilst i waited for my lunch, worst pint of guiness i have ever had, no head off taste. The roast beef and horseraddish sandwich and soup..... it was a a slice of packet discount beef between two pieces of soggy bread and that was it, no horseraddish no butter nothing! I asked the waiter what type of soup it was and he laughed at me and said i dont know i just bring it out! that is not a fault of the waiter but a fault in the managment and running of the kitchen! during my luch a member of staff droped the hoover and dirt went everywhere which then began a noisy and busy cleanup mission I had enough and left. The food is hugly over priced and not up to scratch at all. My room was finaly ready and on entering it I found the hotel had put the wrong luggage in my room, I panicked, where was my luggage and who had it. The hotel located my luggage and I then had to get out of this place and relax so I went into Glasgow. I returned to the hotel for dinner with family and friend that i had previously arranged, again I had to wait for my table, the reteraunt was like a canteen, noisy floors that bounced up and down every time sombody walked past people squeezing past me and staff rushing about. The food was very bad we had to send two of the meals back to the kitchen and I should have sent mine back as the mash potatoe was microwaven, the mussels were off and I didnt eat them but all I did eat I was up all night ill and so was a few members of my party. One of the meals (seabass) had a worm in it and was raw. Breakfast came arond and AGAIN I was told I was nukmber 17 in the waiting list and I would have to wait ...... This was the straw that broke the camels back. I let the hotel know how my stay was going with them and i was immediatly taken through to my breakfast table, but the hotels efforts to cover up such a bad service and experiance was to little to late. I was moved to a better room which had a broken TV. On checking out the hotel manager stated he would like to have a word with me, but he then took a phone call and was to engrossed in it to take the time for the word which he wanted to have my driver arrived and I left never to return. (there was also a working girl frequnting the lobby one of my party members was approached by her).

I dont understand how this hotel is so highly rated and priced, this was the reason I booked it. How does it have a 5 star when there is no luxury or service?

Room Tip: book the radisson blu.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank JACK B
Perthshire, Scotland
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was our second stay at Blythswood. We stayed in room 329 a lovely double room overlooking the square. Unfortunately the receptionist left us to find our own room and we ended up wandering the maze of corridors totally lost. Thankfully a very helpful housekeeper took us to our room and couldn't of been more helpful. The hotel is so beautiful and all the staff are so very professional and courteous. The breakfast was serviced with precision and such a wide choice but the cooked option was only luke warm. A bit of a disappointment. Even with the minor hiccups we are already looking forward to our return.

Scotland, UK
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed for one night to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary as we had our wedding reception at the hotel in its former shape as the RAC. The hotel gave us a lovely chocolate treat for our anniversary. Booking and check in were stress free. The bedroom was great with a very large bathroom. We visited the Spa as we had booked a Spa break and enjoyed using all the facilities (pool, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi) as well as the massage treatments. We did not have dinner at the hotel - instead we went to Browns in George Square - but we did have breakfast which was great. I would certaintly stay here again if the opportunity comes round again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scotswaehae
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed recently to celebrate our wedding anniversary and it was a real treat! Hotel was of a very high standard and the staff were excellent - so helpful and friendly. I loved the contemporary use of Harris Tweed throughout giving the hotel a luxurious feel. This hotel is a level up from others in Glasgow with it's attention to detail which is reflected in the price but it is worth the extra for a treat/special occasion. Would definitely stay again and would recommend it to others who appreciate the finer things in life!

1 Thank memac-mountain
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was our second visit to this wonderful hotel which is situated in an elegant old heritage but completely renovated building in the centre of Glasgow.
We enjoyed it just as much as the first time we stayed there a couple of years previously.
The service is phenomenal, the rooms very modern and comfortable and the meals first-class. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who is visiting Glasgow.

1 Thank Doochie41