“spa day”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Had the pleasure of using this fantastic spa at the blythswood hotel on blythswood square , the staff and facilities are absolutely first class, the treatments were amazing and I felt totally rejuvenated , however and this is my only gripe after our spa day myself and my wife retired to the bar for a well deserved refreshment , but for a hotel such as this , to wait 20 minutes for a vodka martini is absolutely ridiculous .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,798)

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Myself and my partner were enjoying our stay at the Blythswood until we dared to eat in the restaurant! Let me start with the good points...

Check-in was quick, smooth and friendly. Our room was gorgeous, bed very comfortable. The spa is amazing also, staff in there were lovely, and the thermal circuit was probably the nicest we have ever experienced.

Now, to the bad part, and sadly for us it was a massive one. We had the misfortune to be served by a very cold and rude woman, a manager, who didn't exactly make us feel welcome... we were prepared to overlook this however as sometimes people are stressed! But the final straw was overhearing her mocking us and other diners with her supervisor, thinking no one could hear. Disparaging comments about diners weight and personal appearances, some of which I would be breaching the T&C's of tripadvisor if I were to repeat! I might expect this kind of behaviour in McDonald's, but not in a 5* hotel.

I should add that the food was of good quality, it just didn't taste so nice when accompanied by the staff's vile diatribe. The waiting staff themselves were lovely, suprising seeing they are being set such a poor example!

Needless to see we will never be back. Thoroughly disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013
13  Thank Donald M
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have a few issues with this 'luxury' hotel, alarm bells rang when I was told that despite being in residence I would have to pay extra to use the spa facilities! Rather than write a diatribe about my stay I will simply list my grievances:

Bags kindly taken from cab but dumped at reception until I carried them to my room, no offer to take them up
TV did not work and had to be fixed every time we wanted it use it
Heating inadequate, we used an electric fire left in the room
Cheap blind in the bathroom.
Terrible lighting - a matter of personal taste of course b
Room service food was cold and tasteless and on every occasion tray was minus condiments and seasoning/prawn and avocado dish came without avocado and poached eggs without toast
Spa would benefit from leaving details of booked treatments in the room

I really wanted to love this hotel but I'm sorry to say it fell short on so many issues, my friend and I had planned our trip for months and were really disappointed, most definitely style over substance and no evidence of efficient management

On a positive note the front line staff were very friendly and tried to resolve any issues.

Room Tip: Request front facing as the view of the square is beautiful
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Maureen P
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My husband booked this hotel for our wedding anniversary because he was especially impressed with the spa on the web. We were not disappointed. The spa was very calming and relaxing. Our massage was bliss!! Loved our spa day.
The room was really clean, comfortable and a pleasure to stay in. We had free up to date films which was an additional bonus
Breakfast was included and could not be faulted
The hotel was in a good location for walking to the shops
Have no hesitations in recommending this luxury hotel

1  Thank Allison2907
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Located on one of the nicest squares of town, this hotel petfectly combines very modern interior in a classic building. Superior service, great room but rather small bathroom, however very well equipped and tasteful marble decor.
Very good food at the Grillroom. Very pleasant seating, very spacious area, very good service.
Great breakfast.
Oneof the finest city hotels we have ever stayed. Accordingly priced.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We spent three nights in the hotel, the room was a wee classic, and very nice too, a very comforable bed. This is our second stay at the Blythswood, and again no complaints, the staff are so friendly and helpful, in the bar the restaurant and reception and in the lobby.
The staff in the spa are helpful and also very friendly.
I would recommend this hotel again.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, in a wee classic room, great big bed.
1  Thank kazzetta
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

I visit Glasgow regularly for business and pleasure and have used many of its hotels. This is the second time I have stayed here and it is the best of the city centre lodgings. It has the most pleasant location and is very handy for some of Glasgow's better eateries. It is a lovely building. The staff are top class. The breakfast I had was very good indeed. The only downside that other reviewers noted is the fact that some of the rooms have a disappointing view but that is a small price to pay for staying at the hotel that currently sets the standard for downtown Glasgow. Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business