“The sign of good service is how issues are dealt with.....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #12 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“The sign of good service is how issues are dealt with.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We have stayed in the hotel 3 or 4 times before so knew exactly what to expect in staying at the Blythswood. I did debate on booking whether to book a classic or wee classic however give the amazing bath in the classic I opted for that room.

We arrived and were give a room on the floor below reception (room 110) which looked very nice. We went to park the car and return to the room however within a few minutes back in the room we could feel how humid the room was. I am not sure if it is because it is so close to the spa but it was very unpleasant. I think this is how it normally is as the floor in this room had no carpet, instead having laminate on the floor. I called reception to explain that we couldn't stay in the room. I explained that my partner has had a collapsed lung in the past and could feel it in his breathing and could we be moved. It wasn't a problem and the concierge (Ian) was sent over with a new room key to move us. We were moved to 361 however it was clear when we arrived that this wasn't a classic, but instead a wee classic. This was apparent in the size of room and the smaller bath.

I need to mention Ian again, he was excellent. Very friendly, professional and a credit to the hotel.

I again phoned reception to say that this wasn't a classic room. I was advised that it was and that all the classic rooms are different sizes due to the older nature of the building. We were however moved again by Ian to 307 which was exactly what I expected. The classic rooms are of a great size with a nice big bathroom and large bath. I noticed that the sinks in the bathrooms have been replaced which is a good move. More care should perhaps be taken to the cleaning of the lampshades in the toilet which hadn't been dusted for a while I think!

I think the sign of good service is how things are handled when things go wrong. The initial room issues did not detract from a great stay.

I would like to pick up on one point however.....my partner and I went out for dinner and returned to the hotel thinking we could get a glass of wine and dessert in our room! However on calling room service at 11.05 I was advised that the pastry chef finished at 11 and only the room service menu was available which did not include desserts. With all respect to the pastry chef, I am sure someone could have cut a slice of cake and added some ice cream.

Although the room was close to the lift, I can't say this disturbed our sleep as mentioned by other reviewers. The bed is very comfortable and the room location very quiet. Breakfast was also excellent as usual.

Again a great stay and look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed here last week, and I would definitely recommend it for anyone visiting Glasgow. The room was comfortable, lovely king size bed, and with excellent shower and bathroom facilities. Guests have free use of the Spa at certain periods of the day, and I thoroughly recommend its use. The hotel has some of the best and luxurious spa facilities I've come across.
The hotel is well placed for sightseeing, we easily caught buses a short walk from the hotel to go to Kelvingrove museum and art gallery, and the Riverside museum.
We ate one evening in the hotel. Service was good and the food too. Breakfast was always very good too.
The staff were courteous and friendly and always approachable when asking for advice or information on travel, etc.
I would recommend a mid week stay as it was far busier on our final Saturday morning, but I suppose that is to be expected. All in all a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

My wife and I treated my parents to a night out in Glasgow for dinner followed by drinks at the Blythswood Square bar. It was a wednesday night so the place was very quiet but the bar upstairs was the perfect place for a good cocktail in a beautiful setting.

The bartenders was very knowledgable about the cocktails and helped my dad pick out a beauty call Penicillin (whisky based like an old fashioned). The menu was huge and detailed with good descriptions; perfect for those who are never sure what to pick at a classy cocktail joint (like me).

Would recommend this place for anyone looking for amazing cocktails (8-10 pound) and relaxed quiet environment (midweek anyway).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Lovely hotel, well decorated for xmas and a great atmosphere in general. Nice room, worth the price, good standard of food, and topped off by some excellent cocktails and nice professional service. Will certainly be back.

Room Tip: make sure you go for the room one above the basic level, more space, more comfort, etc
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We've stayed a couple of times and really liked it. The rooms are comfortable, stylish and have luxurious bathrooms.

The spa is superb, really great.

We ate dinner in the hotel one time but were not overly impressed, there's better places on the doorstep. Breakfast is great.

• Stayed October 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Every year at this time my husband & I stay in the hotel & use the spa facilities. It's a break away for the everyday chores & time to spend together. From checking in the staff couldn't have been anymore helpful. The waiters & bar staff are very pleasant & can't do enough for you. One bar staff member Aidan will be missed after 4 years.

• Stayed January 2014
Marbella, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We had originally booked in another hotel but for our New Year break to Glasgow but changed because this had a Spa - We were there 6 nights and had to change rooms 3 times because of the noise and problems in our bathroom, 1st night we were locked out of our room because they were having problems with electronic keys, couldn't even get in with a hard key, we were told to wait in reception whilst they tried to get the maintenance people in, after travelling for 7hrs from Spain, not something we wanted to hear, just wanted to get some rest - after being ignored for 15 minutes the Night duty manager came along with a master key and after saying we had been just swept aside not even offered a drink she then said they would bring us up a large drink to our room which when it appeared was two SMALL Baileys - our 1st room was on a main road so no sleep. We complained in the morning and they were good about moving us but only to put us in a room overlooking the kitchens and two big fans (you think as we were staying 6 nights and we had complained about the noise and being locked out of our room - as we couldn't get in in the morning also they would have put us in a quite room), anyway, not wanting to complain about this as it was New Years Eve we thought we would put up with it until the next night when there was a constant flushing in the pipes of the bathroom so we asked for a maintenance person to fix this - they then up-graded us to a Deluxe room which was very nice and over looked the square, but too little too late as we had had enough by then. The breakfast was very good but the food in the evening was overpriced and under flavoured.
The Spa receptionists looked like they should be working in a night club not a Spa and were so un-helpful we had to ask where the towels were and about the lockers no one showed us around so we spent a good 15-20 mins looking round to see where everything was - our treatments started late and finished early. I had a facial and on returning to our room no.2 in the lift I noticed that I still had face pack around my hair line and at the side of my nose and eye socket - probably because it was so dark in the treatment room, nice and relaxing but she obviously couldn't see what she was doing, also had a back massage and she asked about pressure to apply so I asked her to make it very strong as I have a frozen shoulder - don't think she heard me!! for what they charge for this Spa it is ridiculously over priced and I have been in many Spas in my years. Aesthetically the hotel is beautiful but I'm afraid most of the staff need more training in customer service. Very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Well we had 3 rooms and all noisy but best of a bad bunch room 324
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends