“Lovely place for a Friday night cocktail!”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I loved this hotel, the decor is just lovely. The staff are so attentive and chatty. They also can't do enough to help you - they were very lovely and got me a charger for my phone.. which was much appreciated.

The cocktails were simply divine and mine wasn't on the menu but they put it together for me anyway. I love this place and will be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,768)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We visited this hotel for our first anniversary. The staff were all lovely and made us feel very welcome. We loved relaxing in the beautiful spa and enjoyed the food during dinner and breakfast but it was the little surprise of complimentary drinks and a slate with chocolates on it which was a lovely touch. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere special to stay and can't wait to go back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We visited this hotel for my husbands 50th birthday. The hotel is beautiful and the service is first class, very worthy of five stars!! Its the best nights sleep we have ever had in a city centre hotel, so quiet! All the staff were very friendly and made us feel so comfortable, especially Liam during lunch and breakfast. Our lunch was really tasty, as was the Prosecco they surprised us with for my husbands birthday. We also received a lovely birthday slate with chocolates in our room, all in all, our stay was fantastic and hopefully we will be back again soon!

Room Tip: Room 359 was so quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We are regulars at the Blythswood and have had some memorable evenings and I have marked highly in the past but I feel the standards are slipping. On our last stay for my wife's birthday, our first room had a real stench and we had to move room. This was done swiftly by reception but a hotel of this standard and prices shouldn't let anyone inhabit these rooms. We also noticed our 2nd room had some bulbs out and loose wires but we didn't want to make a fuss about this. The room inspections need to be more thorough.

The real letdown was breakfast. They either overbooked or weren't prepared for the numbers but we had to wait 45mins to get a table. Then after ordering, we waited another half hour only to discover our order had been forgotten. It ruined our experience and doubt we will be back. Some of our friends have had similar experiences. I think they need to raise their game before losing more customers

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LanarkshireTraveller
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed only one night as visiting Glasgow to attend a concert . Staying at Blythswood to add a bit of luxury and make for a special night away . The main reception is beautiful and the staff very efficient and friendly . On arriving at our room we found the main area quite average and had same problem as previous reviewer regarding no socket near mirror to dry hair . The bathroom however was stunning - deep marble bath , with separate rain drench shower this redeemed the otherwise bland bedroom . We had cocktails in the bar which were excellent as was the service . Helpful with choices and recommendations . Now for breakfast - completely disorganised , once seated we ordered our hot food and made our way to the buffet . The cold buffet was fine , again nothing to write home about but ok . The problem arose when after 40 mins we still didn't have our hot breakfast and we're still sitting with dirty starter plates . When I eventually got someone's attention to enquire what had happened I was told the kitchen was very busy - no apology and still didn't clear the plates ! Another 10 minutes passed and our cooked items arrived - I had ordered eggs Benedict which had very little hollandaise sauce again this would normally be a treat so was a bit disappointed and my partner had an omelette which he couldn't eat as it was still raw in the middle. No enquiry if everything was ok and again sat with dirty plates for 20 mins . During this time it seemed staff were blissfully unaware of any issue and managers were chatting and joking . At no point did it appear that they were really busy or stretched . My partner was becoming increasingly angry ( and hungry ) so in the end called over a manager to remove our dirty plates and also explained about the uncooked omelette .The manager offered to get a fresh one cooked but by that time we were pretty fed up and left . So this is a nice hotel with some luxurious areas but not the 5 star they promote .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruandsu
Reviewed 4 June 2014

It was my third stay at the Blythswood Square and it has been consistent every time. The hotel is a beautiful building overlooking a leafy square on the edge of the town centre. The reception and restaurant have a great vibe and have lovely high ceilings and are very stylish. The food quality is exceptional and the scottish breakfast superb - not sure about the whisky they leave by the porridge but good if that's your thing! The service is excellent and the whole place is well staffed. I gave it 5 stars on the basis that I had a room over-looking the square - if you get some of the other rooms they can be a little dark with uninspiring views.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room over-looking the square
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Lovely Hotel! Main areas are beautiful, decor fab. Bedrooms I would say are more 4 rather than 5 star.
Any staff we encountered were very helpful. Cocktail Bar very nice. Breakfast could be very busy but just avoid busier times if that bothers you.
Would certainly go back.