“Fantastic hotel! I would definitely stay here again”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Clapham, London, UK
“Fantastic hotel! I would definitely stay here again”
Reviewed 25 June 2010

I stayed here just 1 night 2 weeks ago because my partner was in Glasgow on business. The building itself is impressive from the outside and I loved the marble floor and furniture in the entrance hall. The room itself wasn't huge but the bathroom was superb-brown marble throughout with a separate shower cubicle. The bed was king-size with very good quality linens. It did feel luxurious and it didn't cost the earth.
Breakfast the next morning was served by very friendly (and Scottish, thank goodness) staff -the full Scottish breakfast was delicious and included slices of haggis and blood pudding along with the usual fare. It couldn't be faulted. We drove up to Port Appin later on for our main break and had quite a different experience there, for a lot more money....;-). We will definitely stay at the Blythswood Square again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 24 June 2010

The arrangements for this hotel were made by my company and as such I did not read the reveiws prior to my stay, but boy do I wish I had. This hotel has been open for about a month and while they are experiencing some growing pains, they should have waited to open until most of the pains were taken care of.

Issues:
NO INTERNET ACCESS - this was a problem before I arrived, and I'm sure well after my departure. I would ask daily regarding the issue and they had no idea as to when it would be fixed. They brought up a cable to hard wire me into the system but didn't work. As a business person, I expect more - set my expectations, I just need to know so that I can make other plans (i.e. go to Starbucks or other cafe with internet). Traveling on business - the only time I can catch up with e-mails was at night when I return to the hotel. Poor service and poor relationship management. This was the biggest issue for me.

Construction - the hotel is still working on the build (inside and out). If you are an international traveler and are suffering from jet lag, the last thing you need is to be woken up by construction noise that does not go away.

Bell Hop - When I first arrived it took the taxi driver many loops around the block to find the place. Limited signage. Then no ramp for large luggage. The taxi driver helped me up the steps, but no one to even hold the door for me - not a good first impression.

Room - Room was nice, but only shower option is a "rain shower" - I find the "rain shower" totally over-rated and prefer a strong jet. In other hotels with a rain shower they also have another head so you can choose which option you prefer. I used the iron, and it must have been used prior to my arrival as it had some kind of black rubber or something that got all over my shirt. I called house keeping for a new iron and explained the situtation, no offer to wash/or help with my shirt. Also, house keeping was inconsistant - finally got a bar of soap on my last day. Also, the breakfast order form was there the first day, not the second or third - I had to ask for it.

Things that I liked: The food was good.

Does not deserve 5 star rating.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jendan22
Ayrshire
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Having regularly frequented the Hotel in its previous life as a private members' club, I had been keen to find a reason to stay at the Blythswood, but living only 16 miles away, it was a birthday party in Glasgow that eventually gave me the excuse to book a room.

That morning, we had flown back to Glasgow from Miami via London and, when making the reservation, had asked for a 2.30pm check in to enable us to have some rest before rendezvousing with friends for dinner at 5pm, prior to the birthday party.

Upon arrival, we were informed that our room was not ready and were advised to wait in the bar until someone came to find us. We ordered a couple of glasses of wine at a £8 each and used some matchsticks to keep our eyelids open. We were surprised to be told by the server to ‘smile’ and look as though we were enjoying ourselves - had my brain not been suffering from impending jet lag, I would have told her we had just returned from a funeral! In any event, I do not expect to be scolded in a 5 star establishment, but in common with previous reviews, the Blythswood is really not worthy of 5 stars.

3pm is the Hotel’s published check in time and, at 3.30pm, I returned to reception to enquire as to whether our room was ready. It was one of those experiences, where you go up to the counter and all the staff turn away as they see you coming or suddenly become engrossed in their computer. Even the lady who had originally dealt with us upon arrival deliberately avoided eye contact - obviously not wanting to be the one to inform us that the room was still not ready. I thought I might have to resort to cartwheels in order to attract someone’s attention!

Apparently we had a ‘maintenance issue’ in our room – what the issue was remains a mystery as Eastern Block governments are less secretive than Blythswood’s reception staff. My partner was irritated by the fact that the Hotel charges £20 per hour for late check out, but expected us to subsidise their bar whilst waiting for our room well beyond the published 3pm check in. ‘I think the least you could do is offer us a complimentary drink whilst we wait’ did the trick and we were, subsequently escorted back to the bar and offered a glass of wine.

Eventually, at 3.55pm a very pleasant young man was seen being urged through the entrance to the bar to come and speak with us. You could almost hear ‘you go…no you go…no you….’ At last we were shown to our room and thankfully a very nice room it was.

The problem with the Blythswood Hotel is, as another reviewer put it, ‘Fur coat….’ The rooms and public areas look fabulous, but after a while you notice the poor finishes, the chipped tiles, the uneven gaps between the marble in the bathrooms, the piles of screws and nails sitting outside on your windowsill, the ill fitting sunken spotlights, the fact that the gadgets don’t work, the sink that cannot fill due to the poorly fitted plug, the poorly constructed wardrobes, etc, etc! I cannot imagine what the place will look like after some wear and tear!

I do not wish to be overly critical of the staff, but I did find them lacklustre, insincere and inexperienced. None of them would last a day in a ‘real’ 5 star Hotel. I am sure there was some problem with our room, but Blythswood reception staff, consider this approach; 'I'm sorry, but we have a maintenance issue in your room, which is probably going to take an hour or so to repair. I know you probably want to put your feet up after such a long journey, but how about I take you through to our bar, settle you at a table overlooking the square and serve you a complimentary tea, coffee or glass of wine with a couple of nibbles.' Would that approach be too much to expect of a 5 star hotel?

In comparison to other Glasgow Hotels, the Blythswood could have been the best, but it really does not measure up. Such a shame!

3 Thank Ayrshire999
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2010

This is a relatively new hotel in Glasgow and not quite finished. Sadly the spa and pool is one of the areas not yet finished. However the lovely building and beautiful rooms hide some flaws. Some are teething troubles to do with the building - for instance the rooms are supposed to have some sort of high end audio system. There are limited instructions as to how this works and the hotel employee who was sent to explain it could not get it to work.

However the major letdown is the kitchen and food. A toasted tuna melt delivered to my room was cold and the cheese was not melted. This cost £13 including the £5 tray charge. If breakfast was not included you would have been charged £16.50 for it and could justifiably have expected more than precooked scrambled eggs floating in water and a request for 'crispy' bacon being completely ignored, and being presented with some pallid slices of cheap Danish covered in white goo. I gave up on this and chise a bagel, which was very stale.
But the rooms were lovely, large baths, comfy beds, choice of pillows, large TV (with limited channels, not even the full freeview options) and also a great barman who made wonderful cocktails.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Wales_Solo_traveller
Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 June 2010

The Blythswood Square does NOT deserve it's five star rating. The management clearly bought the fifth star. We have just returned from a 3 day trip to Glasgow and every day had to deal with a new problem. Yes the place is beautiful, yes the rooms are stunning, and the bathrooms are to die for, but on closer inspection, the fixtures and fittings are really cheap - door knobs breaking, walls scuffed, carpets wearing away, this place is not even a year old! We had breakfast trays left outside our room door from 10am to 7pm. We waited 30 minutes for a cocktail in an empty bar. I was met with discontent when I ordered a single scone and cup of tea from the first floor bar, I was told I had to buy the £9.50 afternoon tea, as they couldn't serve me a single scone!

The pre authorisation payment is ludicrous. You basically pay the full amount of your stay as soon as you walk through the front door. For someone who does not use credit cards this makes accessing your own money VERY difficult. Especially since we were over charged by £200. After you leave, the hotel need to fax your bank to tell them to release the funds. It's a very difficult and long process, it could take up to five working days for your money to be released!

We've come back very very frustrated. Yes we had a nice time, but I think that has more to do with the people we were visiting than the place we stayed. Yes it has the WOW factor as you walk in, but after 3 days you really notice all the major flaws.

2 Thank Julz_mc
Ayr, Scotland
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Previous reports not always a good guide but in this case they were; best hotel in town and leaves Hilton and the others way behind. If you are staying in Glasgow this is the place to be. Very central in the best square in town. The renovations to the old RAC club have done the place proud and the bar, dining room and salon are relaxing to sit around whether for business or leisure.

Stayed one night in de luxe room; great bed, terrific shower room and free standing bath in separate room with original fireplace and candles. All mod cons of a high standard including large flat screen TV. Disappointed over lack of spare space in the bedroom. I could have done without the 'bathroom' as this would have created a reasonable size sitting area. The one real downside was the aircon; in this room incredible noisy even turned down.

We had dinner out but came back for late cocktails which were terrific along with the service.

Breakfast was excellent and the buffet spread was about the biggest I have seen with positively everything you could want. I had the full Scottish but next time I will stick to the buffet.

I booked online direct with hotel as this was best deal available; £180 for two in de luxe room including full breakfast. Cannot wait for excuse to go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Chester
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Great location, fantastic building and extremely well renovated. The public areas are beautifully furnished - all have real wow factors. Our room was similarly beautifully furnished - very comfortable bed, exceptional bathroom and very welcome drinks making facilities (not usual in 5 star hotel). The only downside to the room was that it was very dark and the lighting was inadequate, black lampshades and dark furnishings compounded this problem. It was a very masculine room (without any soft floor coverings at all). There were however a few teething problems. Drinks service in the Salon is painfully slow although drinks when they arrive are very good and well price. Breakfast service was also slow and very disappointed to see Tesco's sliced bread being used for toast - not appropriate for a hotel of this standard. Cleanliness was OK, but not as good as it should have been. Staff were very polite and friendly but overall service was not up to 5 star standards. There are still quite a few areas not yet finished - the inner courtyard is still a building site. The spa and fitness centres are not yet open. When these teething problems have been fixed, I'm sure this will be a great hotel and we would stay here again.

1 Thank drew01829