“perfect choice of accommodation for a visit to Glasgow!”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
warrington
“perfect choice of accommodation for a visit to Glasgow!”
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Whether your in Glasgow on business or pleasure, the blythswood square hotel is the perfect choice of accommodation! The hotel location is ideal, situated in the heart of the city, only a short walk away from the shops, bars and restaurants. If you are new to Glasgow, the hotel's very friendly and helpful staff are always on hand to offer advice and recommendations to make the most out of your trip! The rooms are beautifully furbished and are fully equipped with everything you need and the hotel bar and restaurant cater for every taste! I thoroughly enjoyed my 5 star stay at Blythswood, would most certainly recommend it and look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We frequently visit Glasgow to see family and have stayed in pretty much all the 4&5* hotels in the city centre. I was very much looking forward to staying here as we'd visited the bar on a previous trip when it had just opened - and it was very good when we went. Location is close to shopping area - but if you have trouble walking - you are uphill to the hotel from most directions.

Room - stayed in Classic in new building.
Pros - Bed was very big and comfortable. Free wifi had very good signal strength in the room we were in. Loved the tunnocks teacakes as the tea/coffee biscuits. Speakers in ceiling over bed and in bathroom - much better than just having tv speakers.
Niggles - Bathroom was huge - but not enough surface space to place your own toiletries. No socket for hairdryer near a mirror. Aircon temp didn't seem to change despite trying to lower it. Room had very low ceilings and was very dark - i'd imagine in winter you wouldn't get any daylight in there. MP3 socket doesn't support ipod/iphone. Turndown service - not offered on checkin. inroom info suggests it happens as matter of course - it didn't. Mentioned the ceiling height and turndown service at checkout - apparently rooms in old building have higher ceilings - and if you request turndown service it shoudl happen.

Breakfast - didn't have the waiting time that other people seemed to have - however breakfast times are very short on a weekend - finishes at 10am - radisson etc finish at 11/11.30 on weekend. Selection average. They will do pretty much what you want - but you do have to ask. Given they serve afternoon tea here - the tea at breakfast was made with tepid water so tasted disgusting. Coffee wasn't much better.

Dinner - food good - a lot of "fussy dishes" - they also do 3 different types of beef for the steaks which seem to be a fiver difference in price between each for the same cut. Prices - steepish for Glasgow.

Bar - normally very good - the guys in the bar are good. On this trip however there was - I can only hope - a new girl working (seemed to be front of house, but served us drinks and dinner) - her knowledge was dire, and the phrase "i'll just have to go and ask" to any question seemd to be the standard answer.

Overall - it's nice - but for the money I expect more...

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Fab hotel, centrally located about 5-10 mins on foot to main shopping street.

The hotel opened a few months ago but still seems to have teething problems - the toilet in our room wouln't stop flushing (they switched our room no hassle), a doorhandle fell off the shower in the second room (was fixed quickly). Spa is not yet open but this was made very clear at time of booking.

The room was lovely - fabulous sliding wall between the bedroom and bathroom (we had a pretty standard room), spacious and nice decoration. Done to a high standard (except the couple of things above).

Staff very friendly and helpful, making you feel very welcome without being over the top. The problems with the room were resolved quickly and without any fuss. Provided helpful suggestions for local area and how to get the best/cheapest parking nearby.

The only real gripe would be the really long wait for breakfast - the breakfast room/restaurant is clearly too small for the hotel and they operate a sort of queueing system in the lobby (the first day we waited approx 5-10 mins for a table and the second day, a Sunday, more than 30 mins!).

Aberdeen
Reviewed 17 August 2010

I have to agree with ‘Disappointed’. I stayed over the weekend of 13-15th Aug 2010 and wasn’t overly impressed either.

I was met by the doorman who carried my bag up the stairs but in my comings and goings over the weekend I think that was just luck as there seemed no rhyme or reason for the doorman to be ‘on duty’: sometimes he was there, sometimes he wasn’t.

The reception is nice but it won’t blow you away. In fact given the write ups about it I was a little disappointed. No need to be, it is good, but I just had my expectations unnecessarily raised by a few of the reviews on here.

Now when you get away from reception and turn the corner to the eleveator…Nothing grand about the elevator and that sets the stage perfectly for the rest of the walk to your room. The décor is grey and bland and you may as well be walking through a Travelodge or similar. My thoughts were this is going to looked ragged in short order if they don’t maintain it. It just looked done on the cheap and decidedly un-5 star.

The room was very nice though. No complaints about wardrobe space or space generally. Big bed and bathroom. Interesting design that you could open sliding panels and see into bathroom if you wanted. Gave the impression of more space and ability to see what you were getting for your money I suppose. Nice but quirky more than anything else. No complaints about fittings or anything, it all worked but what’ll it’ll look like after a few years I don’t know. The overhead shower was not a feature I liked though, you’re washing your hair whether you want to or not.

Breakfast was very poor. I wasn’t asked my room number when I appeared so don’t know how they knew whether to charge me or if I’d paid? But that could have been the waitress as she didn’t seem too on the ball. Her English was quite bad and although I gave her my breakfast order when I sat down I wasn’t convinced she heard/understood what I said. When a second waitress appeared with my coffee and asked if I’d ordered I honestly had to say I tried but I wasn’t sure if her colleague had taken my order or not? She went to check and the full Scottish duly arrived. As had been said the traditional cooked breakfast is two eggs, one sausage, a dry bit of haggis and black pudding with a hard scone (or whatever it was) and half a fried tomato. The buffet section was about as good as you’d get in a 3 star. I’m generally pretty easy about these sorts of things, maybe it was because I was hungry, but I left quite annoyed with that presented as a ‘breakfast’. On the Sunday I didn’t bother getting up to go down for it - and I’d paid for it.

Was offered a turn down service when I arrived and accepted but never got it any on my two nights.

The 24hr room service menu is extremely limited and I expected a better choice.

The car paking fee is ridiculous in my opinion so took the train. 1st Class ticket was still way under petrol + hotel car parking fee for 2 nights.

The staff try and it’s obvious. I was over Sir’d if you know what I mean? To the point I felt like saying I get it! Pretty obvious it’s a new hotel and staff training has drummed that bit into them. They could ease off that and not lose anything. Felt like I was in an episode of the Fast Show a la “Suits you Sir”!

I’m not going to say not to try it. I got both nights in a classic double on the 3rd floor with breakfast for £237.50 off the hotel’s website. I wouldn’t pay more than that. If you get a good deal, try it, if you have to pay more go somewhere else. Blythswood tries in places but it’s not 5 star so don’t expect it and you won’t be disappointed.

Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank T_ManAberdeen
Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 August 2010

When you first arrive at the hotel guests are treated very well, the staff are friendly and whisk your cases up to your room. That said at £187 for bed and breakfast thats the least you should expect. The hotel looks nice but not as plush as I thought it would be. We booked a double delux room for one night and had a change of clothes for a one night stay - the reason I mention this is because the wardrobe is tiny - it will cater for one suit one dress and a couple of shirts. Three bulbs in our room were not working. On the floor next to the bed there was a malteser chocolate, this must have came from the well stocked honesty bar which is in the room. The bed was extremely comfy. We only had one bathrobe. The night we stayed the hotel was fully booked and I think the staff found it hard to cope with the volume of guests. Once again I must state the staff are very attentive and try their best. The cocktails are nice but the choice of beer is limited. At breakfast we had a 20min wait to be seated and in fact guests were asked to sit in the reception area until a table was ready for them. Once seated we had to ask the waitress to take our order and we had to refill the milk jug. Not good for a 4 or 5 star hotel. The full scottish was one sausage (link) one streak of bacon, one haggis, one black pudding, one mushroom, one tattie scone, half a tomatoe and 2 eggs. Upon checkout we were told we had £57 on our tab. This was disputed as we had 5 drinks which we charged to our room. They produced unsigned receipts, which clearly couldnt be explained. Overall very disappointing.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 August 2010

The hotel has not been opened that long. The staff are great. Very helpful, nothing we asked for was any trouble. The rooms are beautiful. Understated luxury is the best way to describe then. It is very well situated and its easy enough to walk anywhere within the City. We had a lovely stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Having just returned from an amazing night here, I had to write a review to say how wonderful and decandant this hotel is.
Upon arrival we were made to feel like VIPs and then when I was shown to our room, I was blown away, so stunning and contemporary but with really lovely touches. The bed has to be the most comfortable bed I think I have ever slept in and the bath! Well, its amazing. I loved the huge crystal chandelier that graces the grand staircase, so beautiful, I cant recommend this place enough.
Will definetley be back for more!!!