“Lovely looking hotel - but a bit Fawlty Towers”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We stayed at the hotel for two nights between Christmas and New Year - thankfully we got a good rate as if we'd paid full price I would have been seriously disappointed. The hotel itself looks splendid - but at the moment it is very much style over substance.

We arrived at the hotel at 4.30pm after an 8 hour drive. There was a bit of a queue at check-in and as we had booked parking we had to arrange for the concierge to come and get our car to take away for valet parking. After all that, we were then told our room was not ready! When I asked why, when check-in was 3pm, the receptionist said check-in was FROM 3pm, not guaranteed. Honestly - who would expect not to be able to check-in to their room that late?! We were given a complimentary drink in the bar whilst we waited for our room to be ready, but frankly after 8 hours sitting in a car I wasn't happy. After 15 minutes we were shown to our room which was small but looked nice. I asked how everything worked as I knew from the website it had lots of gadgets - if you want to use your ipod on the surround sound system you have to get a cable from the hotel - it was brought to the room very quickly and worked fine. The bathroom was lovely - the best part of the room, although a couple of lightbulbs had gone which made it a bit dark in places.

We decided to go and use the spa which we knew from the website was available free to residents from 6 to 9pm - however there was nothing in the guidebook in the room about the spa, except to say it was opening in June 2010!! We phoned down to the Spa and they said they were on level -1 and that towels were available but they had no robes. We went down to level -1 in the lift but found ourselves in a corridor and some passing cleaners said there were two lifts in the hotel. So we went back up to the lobby and a member of staff showed us the second lift which would take us to the Spa. I also asked him about breakfast, where, when etc as there was nothing in the room guide and reception hadn't given us any information at check-in. The Spa looked nice, but was disorganised. There was one harassed member of staff, and a few towels which I found in a cupboard. Most of the jets didn't work in the hydrotherapy pool but apart from that the Spa was fine. There were no instructions anywhere so we just wandered around a bit and tried things out. My husband pressed the emergency button a few times in the steam room as he thought it was a light!! - rather worryingly nobody appeared so I'm guessing the emergency buttons don't work.

We ordered room service that evening and it came promptly and the food was delicious.

We had a dreadful night's sleep the first night as the room was facing the street and the noise of people shouting and partying outside went on until about 4.30am and then the lorries started up about 6am - I think I got about 2 hours sleep in total. We went down to breakfast at 8.30am and asked at reception if we could change to a quieter room. They have obviously had this request before as there were no questions as to why - they very kindly said they would find us another room whilst we had breakfast which they did. Breakfast itself was delicious.

We then moved to a new room - we offered to move our own bags as we wanted to move quickly!! The room overlooked the courtyard so was totally quiet - lovely. There was no wifi or surround sound in the room, presumably because of the room's situation it wasn't possible to get a signal. The room guide states that all rooms have surround sound - but as stated before, the room guides are pretty useless! There was only one bathrobe in our new room, and the soap in the washbasin had been used before, and there was cellotape stuck on the floor by the door - but apart from that the room was lovely. We requested another bathrobe which was delivered later that day.

We went for a cocktail on our second evening - pricey but nice. Strangely there was only one cocktail menu which had to be shared amongst the guests. The waiter said they were producing a new cocktail menu after new year hence only one copy of the old menu - do they not have a photocopier in the hotel?

We had a great night's sleep the second night - definitely request a courtyard room if you stay here. Breakfast on the second day was again good, except there was no bread knife to cut the unsliced loaves. A guest asked a waitress for a bread knife and after a 5 minute wait she came back with a carving knife and said that was all they had in the kitchen! The baffled guest gave up and said he'd do without toast. I hacked away at the loaf with the carving knife as the only other alternative for toast is sliced packet bread.

So - would I stay at this hotel again? I wish I could say yes, but unless it was a very, very good rate, and I could guarantee a quiet room, I would probably have to say no.

2  Thank VP1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,794)

Reviewed 7 January 2011

We stayed here as a new year treat to help us get over the post christmas blues. Overall the hotel is excellent but our stay was marred by poor service. We were told that we could check in after 3pm. We arrived at 3:40pm. There was no concierge at the door to help us with our bags and we had to wait in a queue at reception. We were told that our room would not be ready for about 20 minutes. We weren't particularly bothered by this and went to the bar for a coffee. (I should say that the service in the bar was very good.) We sat for about an hour and no-one had come to tell us that our room was ready. We went back to reception to enquire. The girl that we initially spoke to didn't seem to know what was going on and she walked away from us leaving us unsure about whether she was actually still dealing with us! We waited for about 15 minutes at reception before eventually being shown to our room. The woman that took us to our room didn't seem entirely sure about how to get there. We had left our bags at reception and after an hour they still hadn't been brought to the room. I called reception but there was no answer. We were going out for dinner and everything we needed was in our bags. My fiance managed to catch a member of staff in the corridor and eventually our bags appeared.

The room itself (double deluxe) was beautiful and very stylish. It had everything you would need. My criticisms would be that the bed was too soft and the masses of pillows that were provided did not seem to include any that were comfortable for sleeping on. Our bathroom door would not shut unless slammed. The light switches are very complicated and there seemed to be about 40 of them for one room. There were no instructions on how to use them. Our room overlooked the courtyard at the back so there was no view but it was very quiet.

We had breakfast in our room and it arrived exactly at the time we had requested. It was fine but nothing special.

Overall I don't think it was quite worth what we paid but with a bit more attention to the level of service this would be an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GemmaM21
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Christmas 'spa vouchers' are always welcome and we were keen to see how the new spa at the Blythswood had turned out. The building has been very nicely refurbished and the reception was friendly and helpful. However the spa does seem to have some teething problems and as yet doesn't rate 5 stars of its own. Firstly in the 'thermal' area neither of the saunas were working, one did have a notice saying out of use but we were told on being shown round that the other was fine. However when we came to use it, it wasn't 'on' at all. It was reported to staff but we never saw anyone go near it to check it or switch on the heat and later on we heard other guests reporting it again. Secondly more than half the jets (which promise a variety of different actions) in both the hydrotherapy and main pool just didn't work. We pressed many buttons in vain as did the other guests but to no avail. Not sure if they had some electrical problems on the day or if they are a longer term issue but it means you don't get the full hydro experience either. The hot stone massage was nice but the therapist who took me was nearly 15 minutes late and I didn't get my full 60 minutes. She was very apologetic but I did feel she rushed it a big so gave me no extra time! Staff were generally nice but a little 'aimless' - the service is just slightly off the pace and it feels like there is no-one really in charge keeping their eye on what is going on. Service in the Cafe Bar was a tad slow for example but on the plus side we got a cracking bacon roll even though the breakfast slot was well over thanks to a kind chef . And the afternoon tea (included in our deal or at £15 per person) had lovely treats on it but having a full 3 tiered selection each was far too much - one would easily satisfy two people. They must have so much food waste. All in all it's not up there with some of the other 'spa' hotels like Turnberry nor up to the overall spa experience of The Carrick at Loch Lomond. Some of the staff need a bit more training and/or experience and there really needs to be some central controller to ensure everything is working or swiftly dealt with if it's not. Hopefully things will improve though. For now about only about 7 out of 10.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank macelven
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We spent one night at Blythswood Square just before Christmas. We had gone to Glasgow to go to a concert, but when we finally arrived in Glasgow it was late, we were cold and the hotel was close by so we decided just to stay there and have dinner instead.
On checkin the reception staff were friendly and efficient and booked us a table in the restaurant.
We were taken up to our room. The room was lovely, not huge but as we were only going to be there for one night it was fine. There's nothing I can fault about the room, it had everything we needed, even an ironing board which can be a rare thing in hotels.
Dinner was very nice and not as expensive as we had expected it to be.
We also had breakfast in the restaurant in the morning, it was quiet and the service was good however I have to agree with previous reviewers about the toast. At a 5 star hotel guests shouldn't be making toast themselves, but that's really the only negative comment I have.

1  Thank ssinc
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Definitely worth a stay if you go to Glasgow. Centrally located and simply the best for style/service (and value) in the area. The Blythswood Square Hotel is worlds apart from others in the same class/price range.

Stayed here over Xmas as a little surprise. Staff were pleasant and appeared to ensure that my stay in the hotel exceeded any expectations I may have had. However, they did let themselves down when my pre-ordered drinks were not in the room at check-in. We stayed in one of the Classic rooms which had everything you would expect (from the large LCD TV with free movies, to the well stocked minibar) and was spotlessly clean. The room service menu had plenty to choose from and the food was quickly delivered to my room.

During our stay, we made use of the complimentary access to the hotels Spa in the basement level. Gorgeous.

1  Thank hybridses
Reviewed 4 January 2011

As part of my Christmas my fiancé treated me to an overnight stay in a deluxe double room at blytheswood square!
From check in, through to the concierge and bar staff the service was excellent!
Our room was gorgeous, fresh, clean and modern with plasma tv and well stocked mini bar that was very reasonably priced!
The bathroom was luxurious with views into the bedroom from the bath and a separate shower cubicle!
Bar staff very friendly and looked after their customers well!
The selection available for breakfast was unbelievable and the best iv seen from the many hotels iv stayed in
All round great stay at this beautiful hotel! I would definitely return and would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 4 January 2011

This is an amended review as my first review graded it 3* (by mistake - you cant amend reviews but need to amend and resubmit). In addition, I copied my review to the Operations Director at the hotel and, in fairness, he emailed me to acknowledge the comments I had made. That's always a good sign. They only usually acknowledge the "happy customer emails"

I stayed here just after Xmas for 1 night ( Xmas present from my wife). Check in could have been better. Arrived at 15.45 and advised that our room wasn't ready. I duly advised the check in staff that they had 15 mins to "get it ready" or we were off back home. (only stay 10 miles away) She had then the audacity to say there was "no guarantee" that the room would be ready after 3pm. How long do they need to make up a room if departure is mid morning. (I will put it down to Inexperienced staff) However, 1 minute later the porter came over and escorted us to our room. Some would say its "nit picking" but we were only there for 1 night and wanted to get the full experience of the hotel. Put it this way, it could have been handled better by the front of house staff, thats why I have mentioned it.

Our room was on 5th floor (room 411) if offered this room and you are a light sleeper, don't accept it as it is on the top floor and an air conditioning unit (or something that makes the same noise) is on all night directly above the bed. If the noise had been consistent it would have been fine but it seemed to power down but kicked back into life after 5/10 seconds. The bedroom itself was lovely with a large TV, comfortable bed, pillows, reasonably priced mini bar with free "tunnocks" tea cakes - yummy . Wi fi does not work in this room despite what they say. I had to go down stairs to access the wifi, perhaps a "black spot" Bathroom was one of the best I have seen, albeit the bath was on the small side. Shower unit was also lovely with shiny granite everywhere.

Parking is an area of concern.The hotel charges £25 for valet parking and is valid for 24 hours. I chose to park outside, plenty of meters available and if you dont mind getting up before 8am this could be a cheaper alternative ( I worked in Glasgow for years) and at £4.80 for 2 hours it can mount up but bare in mind you get free parking after 6pm til 8am the following day but don't be late to put money in the parking meter as the parking attendants are on the prowl early to catch you out. £25, in my view, is unreasonable. Breakfast - nice but I agree with the other review about frozen bread. Moreover, I do not agree with the "help yourself" toaster, queue with others and it takes ages. Put the bread through once and it's underdone, twice and it burns, you can't win. A 5 star hotel shouldn't expect its guests to queue for toast as it affects the overall ambience of the breakfast. And another thing, no tongs to grip the (frozen) bread to place it in the feeder slide of the toaster, a knife was on hand for this a definite "no no" electrocution springs to mind. Overall though, the cooked breakfast was lovely. The spa was fantastic ( we only spent 30 mins in it due to time retrictions) but I think paying guests should be afforded unlimited access as we were restricted to visting after 6pm, (and between 9 and 11am if staying more than 1 night) The bar on the ground floor was very nice with competent staff (didn't try the food which looked good from what I could see). Drinks prices were (as to be expected) "high" Overall, I dont think the hotel deserves 5* from me as it has some work to do. That said, I am not going to underscore it as it has a great location, lots of features and charm and with some fine tuning, could be the best hotel in the City. As alluded to earlier, a big thank you to the Operations Director who clearly cares about the reputation of the hotel.