“Great food, excellent value”
Review of Shandon Belles

Shandon Belles
Ranked #177 of 2,411 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$15 - US$19
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Anderston
Description: The Shandon Belles is a quirky and cosy bistro on Argyle street, conveniently located downstairs from Two Fat Ladies at The Buttery and only a stone's throw from the Marriot, Hilton and Hallmark hotels. Comfortable corners, stained glass and exposed brickwork add real character to the welcoming decor, creating a warm delightful ambience. Specialising in quality, hearty fare using great Scottish ingredients, our set menu offers superb value for money with seasonal choices to suit every palate. Daily specials, a competitively priced wine list, and a sumptuous cocktail menu, makes the Shandon Belles one dining experience you won't want to miss!
manchester, UK
“Great food, excellent value”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Strange location in middle of council estate but don't be put off, it's worth it when you get there. Starter and main for £12 and a decent and affordable wine list. The decor is lovely and very cosy and really good service.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank sammy978

Kippford, United Kingdom
“Tasty food in a basement”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I've heard many people rave about Shandon Belles so it was finally time to check it out. Booking is advised! It is a basement cafe-style restaurant, with no windows. There is the advantage of a private car park.

The menu is brief, but varied enough to catch most tastes. The food was well presented and very tasty. Our party of four all had different dishes and everyone agreed the food was excellent. My only criticism would be that the hand-cut chips with the home-made burger were soaked in grease and soggy -- basically the chips had been cooked in oil that was not up to temperature, which is a school boy error! Other than that, food was great.

I was disappointed that we had paper napkins, and cheap ones at that.

The venue is very compact. Service was excellent as was the value. Their house wine (Concha y Toro) is excellent and only £10 per bottle.

3 Thank justDAJ
Glasgow
“Lunch or Dinner”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have been several times to The Shandon Belles for lunch and early / late dinner. The food is always well presented and very tasty, the staff courteous and friendly and value for money it is Excellent.
A great place at the edge of Glasgow City Centre with the added attraction of a private diners car park.
Suitable for a busines lunch, friends meeting up or a celebration or special occasion.

2 Thank GlenLoan
North east England
“Excellent, charming and great food”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We went to the Shandon Belles after reading reviews on here as we were in Glasgow for the May bank holiday weekend. Rang up on the Friday and could only get a table at 6pm for the Saturday night, this was earlier than we wanted but we pleased we went. It is a little bit out of the way and a taxi ride from the city center but only a £5er each way.

You get home made bread and a bottle of water when you arrive and no, there is not a cover charge just a nice welcome. The menu is only small, 5/6 starters, mains and deserts but I find this is fine as it means that each dish is spot on. I opted for the chicken terrine and the missus had the goats cheese tart for our starters, both were excellent. Then I had the roast belly pork (this was marvellous) and better half had the chicken stuffed with haggis which she said was fab. We decided to go the whole way and the wife had cheesecake and I had the cheeseboard (not a sweet eater but love cheese). Again both were great. We had a bottle of rose wine, I had a glass of port with my cheese and the othe half had a coffee with brandy. The total bill was less than £50, if you can get a better meal with drinks for less than this please let me know.

All the staff were great, service was efficient, attentative and they came when asked. Would I retun........definately.

2 Thank Etherlycc
Glasgow
“Amazing value!”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My wife and I popped in after reading the reviews in Trip Advisor. We had no booking, it was rather busy however the staff found us a table (at 8pm on a friday night!) we were (very politely) warned there might be a wait before they could take our orders. We were happy to wait. We were very quickly brought our drinks (bottle of very nice/reasonable house red, tap water (offered right away without us needing to ask!) & free bread) while we waited to be served. We didn’t even have to wait too long before they took our orders.
The food followed in good time also:

I had the mackerel fillets with Beetroot & orange sauce to start. Delicious! The fish was cooked perfectly, nice crispy skin and the sauce was the perfect accompaniment fruity, slightly sweet and tangy.
My Wife had the roasted red pepper risotto, she enjoyed it greatly. Very silky and nicely rich.

For the Main I had the Shandon Fillet Burger, very high quality flavoursome beef and nice crispy hand cut chips (not too thick, which I prefer) and (I am a philistine so I would have liked some tomato sauce & I’m always too afraid to ask for it in restaurants but the nice side helping of chunky tangy tomato salsa served as a nice replacement.
& My wife had the Pork belly stuffed with sun blushed tomato and garlic. This appeared to be perfectly cooked, nice and tender with a crispy skin.

Unfortunately we did not have enough room to try the deserts but I will definitely return (with a greater appetite) so I can sample their tantalising & tempting treats.

The staff were very attentive and friendly.
Food was very wholesome & tasty.
The décor is quirky and classic. Very eclectic, old fashioned mismatched crockery/saucers. We loved it.

2 courses & a bottle of wine for £34 not to mention it is walking distance from the City centre!

We ate there on Friday night, we’ve already made a booking to return this Tuesday.

Value for money I would have given 6 out of 5!

2 Thank JoePyeWalker