“Best curry in Glasgow”

Koolba
Ranked #23 of 2,473 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$24 - US$47
Cuisines: Indian, Persian
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Description: KoolBa is a warm, modern, and inviting authentic Indian restaurant in Glasgow, located in the heart of the Merchant City. We have worked hard and KoolBa has now become synonymous with quality Indian and Persian cuisine. We have achieved this with our commitment to using the best local produce, fresh herbs, carefully selected whole spices, but above all offering genuine appreciation and care to all of our customers. We are committed to providing freshly made to order dishes to Glasgow's diners. Some customers enjoy switching between our Indian and Persian dishes with each course, and in particular, many of our regular diners recommend our homemade chicken pakora as a firm favourite, along with freshly made peshwari naan. Open for Merchant City Festival from 20/07 Monday Noon till the end of July!
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My wife and I just celebrated her birthday in one of our favourite restaurants. We are regular visitors to Koolba, both for a meal and for a takeaway and cannot fault either the service or the food, both are simply outstanding. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and the service throughout was friendly , very attentive but never intrusive, exactly as it should be. We shared a portion of chicken pakora to start. The pakora is one of the best around, very fresh, crispy and flavourful with a deliciously spicy sauce to accompany it. My wife had a south indian chilli chicken and I had the South Indian chilli prawn, both with pilau rice and a garlic naan bread. Both curries were outstanding. Fresh, packed full of flavour , right amount of spice and packed with chicken/prawns. The Garlic naan is simply to die for , crispy, light and perfect for mopping up the sauce. Seriously , its worth the visit for this alone!! I cannot recommend Koolba highly enough, my wife and I both think its the best curry you can find in Glasgow and a real gem of a restaurant. If you are in the vicinity, give a try, you wont be disappointed.

1  Thank Benmohagan
Haddad_Manager, General Manager at Koolba, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Hello Benmohagan

Many thanks for the great review and thank you for being a regular customer of ours! I'm glad that you both decided to come by for your wife's birthday. I hope she had a great birthday and that we see you both again soon. Saving some garlic naan for you!

There are newer reviews for Koolba

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Thank you.
We will be back.

1  Thank Martin R

Hi Martin,

Great to have you. Looking forward to your next visit. Thank you for the review.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Liked the pre-theater menu (starter with chicken and vegetable pakura, lamb korai, chicken tikka massala, huge sized nan and lovely yummy dessert..:).

Great dishes for money value. Nice, tidy and clean place to have group chatting or even for couples!!!

Would love to visit again soon.

2  Thank Ashek
Haddad_Manager, General Manager at Koolba, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Hello Ashek,

Thank you for your review of Koolba. It is very positive and very kind of you.

I do hope we see you again very soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

My partner and I visited here for dinner and were very impressed. They have an excellent selection of beers and an extensive food menu. We had poppadoms with spiced onions and chicken pakora to start, followed by the chicken malaedar and royal chicken kabab...all delicious!! It is not a cheap restaurant (as several preious reviewers have noted) but to be fair the pricing is the same as the other high quality Indian restaurants in Glasgow, e.g. Mother India. The service is impeccable, with very friendly and attentive staff. We will definitely be back to this excellent restaurant!

2  Thank rachy29babe

Hello Rachy,

I'm glad we could impress you both. It is good that you also noted our prices. We are a restaurant that emphasises quality in the food and service too. We only use the best of ingredients and seek to deliver the best in service which is reflected in our prices. I hope we see you again soon and if I can recommend any dishes for your next visit please let me know.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 22 June 2013

My Wife and I made an overdue return visit to "Koolba" for lunch today, the first this year [we live quite far away ]. The first thing we noticed was the new extended a la carte menu,and two course menu for £9 .95 . The question was - would this extended choice be at the expense of quality? Quality that had drawn us back for several visits previously, and had made "Koolba" our curry house of choice. " No worries" - as they say in Glasgow ! Although there is now more choice - it still has less than the opposition. This is strong point in my book. We prefer our curries cooked with the finest ingredients and spices - cooked to order with flair and attention to detail. Our lunch today was faultless , my wife had chicken tikka karahi ,and chose a nan bread instead of rice from the two course menu. This looked superb on the plate - and in the mouth. Special mention must be made of the breads this restaurant bakes - thin and light and mouthwaterly good. I chose the rogan josh from the a la carte , it's a favourite of mine, as the lamb is so tender and lean here. We both like wine, and this is another reason we like this restaurant , as the wines here are good quality ,served at the correct temperature and do not break the bank. I noticed that they now have an extensive selection of bottled beers,as well as draught lager if you prefer this. Round all this off with fiendly service and pleasant decor, and you have a restaurant that takes some beating in Glasgow - why? Because they care. Something you don't come across too often nowadays.

1  Thank Billfish32

Hello Bill,

Many thanks for coming back and having lunch with us. I am pleased to read that you feel there is no expense spared even for our lunch and pre-theatre menus. We believe in quality throughout. Thank you for saying we care. We really do, without great customers we can't do what we do. So thank you for that.

I hope we see you return again soon.