“Look for the specials” 4 of 5 bubbles

Tinto Tapas Bar
Ranked #273 of 2,386 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Cheap Eats, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Look for the specials”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

Have been here a few times and my only disappointment came on the first night when I wasn't told about the specials; I only noticed the board after we had paid and were leaving. Since then, I've always made a point of ordering from the board and have always been very happy with the results. On one occassion, my friend and I had to order another two plates each after our first three were finished - not small portions, just great food!

The service has been criticised by others here but my experiences have matched the atmosphere and character of the place pretty well. It looks and feels like a cafe in Barcelona's old town...the service matches and the place is all the better for it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A Spanish Comedy of Errors”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

I'd wanted to visit this place near Shawlands for over a year when the chance came for a meal on a Tuesday night (all tapas for £2.50 a dish on Tuesdays) I thought I'd book myself a table and take my girlfriend out for a treat.

The first minor problem of the night came from the online booking tool, which took over 4 hours to be confirmed then when we turned up at the restaurant, exactly at the time we booked, only to be met with bedazzlement from the staff who appeared not to have amalgamated the online bookings with telephone bookings. Never mind - they seated us as the only remaining table... the table immediately next to the front door. Not perfect but not disasterous so far. We eventually got served and we ordered drinks and then our tapas from the extensive and authentic menu, but had to wait over 40 minutes for the food to be delivered. It was very busy but that wait wasn't perfect. When the food came out, if was fresh, hot and tasty. However the portions were pretty small, much smaller than Cafe Andaluz or La Tasca for instance. The patatas bravas didn't come in a tomato sauce as advertised, but with a pink dip, similar to the pakora dip found at so many Indian restaurants, which was strange but ok.

After finishing the meal it then took quite a while for the plates to be collected when disaster struck. The waitress accidentally let the bowl of olive oil and balsamic vinegar that we ordered with bread (not free) pour onto my clothes, not very good! Usually when something like this happens one would expect a free dessert, money off the bill or offer to pay for dry cleaning. But not at Tinto. I got sprayed with some sort of Spanish chemcial solution, which actually did get a lot of the stain out, but I didn't appreciate being treated in this way.

Overall, the service was slow, but it was extreemly busy. Food OK but nothing special at all. I wouldn't recommend this place over even La Tasca.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank joeymcjoe
“Me and my partner go here all the time...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

Me and my partner go here all the time. Top food. Great chef. Beers are good and my girlfriend loves the White Rioja here. Great deals if you go pre theatre. Try it... From big ron.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Glasgow
“Good Tapas in Glasgow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2010

Had various tapas here several times. It's well worth a visit if you seek something a bit more authentic than the bigger chains in glasgow. Had some seafood salad, meatballs, morcilla, rabbit plus some others. Have been on a Friday night where the atmosphere was good, busy, well paced. You need to book at the weekends, cos it's always full. The staff are friendly, but a bit over-run. The venue is tight and a wee bit cramped, but it adds to the authenticity.
There is a good range of spanish beers and cider, as well as spanish wines, cavas & sherrys. Sweets are good and coffees too