citizenM Glasgow
ABode Glasgow(Glasgow)
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
5,621 results
All reviewscitizen mmood lightingfree moviesremote controlmood padfunky hotelhigh techwall to wallrooms are smalltouch screenself servicerain showerhuge bedfrosted glasscity viewhanging spaceamazing hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Went to spend a night here for shopping in Glasgow. Looked fab on the internet and when you arrive you're not disappointed.

Now, I know the whole image of this hotel is to be trendy and minimal, however this sort of hotel wasn't for me at all.

The novelty wears off very quickly. The rooms are tiny (which they're designed to be like) and very clinical looking. Woke up during the night and thought I was in hospital! Everything is very white, clear and plastic looking (again, which is the whole point). The free movies however was a great idea however beware! If you have kiddies with you, might be any idea to take the control off them first as theres ALOT of "other" movies on it too!
The cleanleness of the room wasn't up to scratch at all - ESPECIALLY for a new 5 star hotel. The white "leather" bed surround was marked all over it, had some dodgy looking stains and covered in black hairs etc. There were old clothes tags and sweet wrappers on the headboard sticking out - how the cleaners didn't see this I'll never know. Also there were a few stray "hairs" in the bedding as well which I didn't like seeing at all.

The bed was very comfy however and the pillows were lovely and soft. The shower and the multi changing lights (you had control over this) personally did my head in so that got switched off pretty sharply. The shower was also very dirty - NONE of the glass panels looked like it had been cleaned before we moved in and the floor was marked and dirty. Again, not what you would expect for the quality of hotel.

The screen of the remote control for the plasma was cracked and unreadable so you were kind of guessing what you were doing with the lights etc.

If you were travelling from abroad or for more than one night god knows where you would put your suitcase or clothes. There was absolutely no room whatsoever and we were laughing to ourselved thinking we would have been trouble if we had any more than a holdall. We only had 1 holdall and carrier bags from shopping and there was nowhere to put them.

Very weird layout of the room and like I said, a bit too clinical looking and no character. Looked amazing on the website but in reality the room had a cold, claustraphobic feeling to it.

Wouldn't really rush to go back and a bit surprised it's at number 1 although the reception area and staff were fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MhairiSFR
citizenMhotels, social media citizen at citizenM Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Hi “EdinPinkPrincess”,

Thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. I understand, of course, that you might have not liked the way we designed the room but I do apologize if your room lacked cleanliness and Moodpad didn’t work as it should.

We are open in Glasgow for a year and extremely happy for the feedback received so far, mainly achieved because of our Ambassadors, high level of satisfaction, the cleanliness and innovative Design & Technology. We are also learning from reviewers so that we can continuously improve our services. But in the end each citizen has a different taste – while some find it clinical and impersonal, others find it a refreshing new experience and very personal – we have different takings from the traditional.

Since you mentioned “new 5 star hotel” – we see star classification outdated and although we don’t believe in it, a form of comparison is necessary. We offer rates of 2-3 star hotels but quality of 4-5 where it counts only – the luxury found at citizenM is not marble fountains and uninviting hotel lobby but a contemporary environment, hassle free check-in/out, comfortable room for a short stay, comfy XL king-size bed covered with luxurious Frette linen, power-rain shower, 24/7 food & beverage, free wifi & movies on demand, skype phone rates and staff that are less about “Good Morning sir” and more about having a genuine smile, being themselves – reason they are called Ambassadors. Scotland is the first and only country in the world to use a new form of classification to accommodate this new breed of accommodations, "New Concept" scheme, in which we were honored a four star category. There is no excuse for lack of cleanliness as the entire hotel must be sparkling clean at all times; we are putting extra attention together with Housekeeping to prevent from happening in the future – apologies again. I hope you can email me directly via citizenDiego@citizenM.com with more information of your stay & room number so that I can follow up. For all readers booking with us, upon any issue, I ask to contact an Ambassador at the same moment so that we can track and solve it straight away.

Wish you safe travels,
All the best,
citizenDiego

Reviewed 2 September 2011

Citizen M hotel in Glasgow was an amazing experience. Ultra modern, pod dwelling, exciting decor, fantastic showers and towels, super-comfy beds and pillows etc etc. Excellent staff and lots of different areas for relaxing in and chilling out or chatting to friends. I will stay here as often as I am in Glasgow. Great ambiance and left for home feeling uplifted and happy! Result!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Right from arrival at the check in the staff were friendly and helpful.

The décor (especially the corridor) is very distinctive - you certainly know you've arrived.

The room was fantastic. Although quite modern and minimalist at first glance the huge windows provided views over Glasgow (with not just interstitial but black-out blinds in the bedroom); the enormous bed dominated the room - and everything you read is true... it provided an amazing night's sleep.

The colour changing lights on the wardrobe provided a good deal of amusement; with pre-set programmes, or adjusted through the spectrum to suit your mood/time of day.

The bathroom was a little disappointing. Once I got over my alarm and found the blinds could be shut it looked great. However, the 'wet room' needs another look as the two showers that I took both resulted in heavy flooding across the bathroom which was beyond the ability of the shower mat to soak up. Hopefully by my next trip the shower seat will be fixed to the wall too!

The 'canteen' provided an excellent variety of food; the evening I was there they had some delicious hot curries with rice; which with a drink included at £10 was an absolute bargain.

I don't know Glasgow well, but the hotel seems conveniently situated (a short distance from bus and rail stations).

Room Tip: Aim for a higher floor - the views are worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The hotel is clean, and the rooms are modern with nice furnishings and futuristic lighting with some colored lights. I particularly liked the placement of the bed in front of a large window with remote-control blinds that take a minute or two to learn. The hotel has a nice breakfast spread, with eggs, bread, yoghurt, cold cereal, fruit juice, coffee and tea. If you want an extra croissant, yoghurt, or some other items it will cost.

The staff seems more bent on efficiency than friendliness. I was told the hotel had sockets that accommodated flat pronged US plugs, but that was accurate only if the plug was not grounded. Grounded US plugs needed an adapter. A service-oriented hotel would have had grounded sockets for US plugs, or if not would have supplied an adapter. At citizenM I was sent out to buy an adapter. Not really good service.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
citizenMhotels, social media citizen at citizenM Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Hi “Upsilon6”,

Thank you for your review and I’m happy that you liked the living rooms & furnishing, rooms and breakfast.

As a hotel focused on efficiency, there are international sockets on all citizenM rooms (Standard Europe, US and UK), which are the most used by guests but unfortunately not grounded US. We are not able to provide the right socket for each type of connector from around the World at the moment however, they are being purchased for the convenience of all guests – I apologize we let you down.

All the best,
citizenDiego

Reviewed 28 August 2011

We had a car, but with no parking we had to find a 24 hour car park. One does offer discount when you stay at the hotel but we couldn't find it. Then we spotted it walking to the hotel!! Never mind, we checked in and got a choice of rooms. Do not go for the courtyard view, the city view must be better than this. Our view was a building site. We didn't go to Glasgow to admire the view, so we didn't mind. When we had unpacked, we discovered that both the TV and safe did not work properly. However, someone was there within 20 mins to sort out both problems. Hotel was central and great for pubs. Overall great visit and nice breakfast the next day. Ideal for us - as it was open until late morning!

Room Tip: ask for city view not near lifts
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple