“Price vs quality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Price vs quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

Small room but £69 for a double is a steal. Charming bartenders, helpful people and a room that has what you need although small.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (927)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

From the moment I walked into the building I was smiling - the design and concept is very user-friendly. I spent the first 15mins in my room playing with the remote-control to alter lighting, tv, music and mood-lighting - felt like a child again! The extra-wide kingsize bed was very comfy and I loved the shower too.
The next morning I really appreciated the free computer/ internet in the lounge-lobby as I didn't have a laptop with me to check tourist info and 'what's on' in glasgow. I would definitely stay here again - though I'm not sure if i'd stay for longer than 2 or maybe 3 nights at the most - the rooms are on the small side. (A warning to those sharing a room - the translucent shower-pod may be a bit too revealing for comfort if you're sharing with a friend rather than a partner!)

Room Tip: At check-in ask to face the 'courtyard' for a quieter night.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Isle of Skye
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

I wasn't going to write a review for CitizenM Glasgow. I loved it but didn't think they really needed another great review but most reviews were from people staying just one or two nights and I think it may be helpful to hear from someone who stayed a little longer.
To begin with check in was a breeze. I presented a slight problem over paying but it was sorted quickly and effectively with nothing but smiles. Every member of staff that I encountered during my stay was totally charming and nothing was too much trouble.
The lobby is beautiful. I can't really put it any other way. There are separate seating areas with flat screen tvs , beautiful coffee table books and seating so comfortable that you really do kick off you shoes. There is a work area with quality computers and fast broadband. There is free wifi at 1 Mb or you can pay for 20 Mb.
Much has been made of the small size of the rooms and lack of storage space. It has to be said that there is only one large drawer under the bed but I found it perfectly large enough for my case and my clothes unpacked. There is limited room for hanging clothes but it wasn't a problem to me.. The room is small but perfectly formed. The bed is divine. Some people steal hotel towels ( and the towels are excellent ) but I wanted to take the bed! It was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in . I loved the pillows. For the 4 days I was there I virtually lived in the bed.
The shower is another delight with a rainfall and a power function. The shower gel / shampoo is good quality and smells lovely. They actually provide 2, a morning and an evening scent!
I have to admit that it took some time to work out the remote! I had great fun playing with it. It might seem that changing the lights is just frivolous , changing the colour did give the room a quite different feel.
Breakfast is pretty average.If you are a breakfast purist then you might prefer to eat elsewhere but I found it perfectly acceptable.The croissants were excellent.
I enjoyed everything about this place but the final word has to go towards the staff. As I have already said every single one was cheerful, efficient and helpful. I will be back.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have a view over the city and there is a little traffic noise.I think it'...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Choocom
Portland Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

Stayed 2 nights and felt like an upmarket youth hostel The rooms are 2/3 an averge cruise ship cabin. The bed fills 1/3 the room and can only be entered by crawling on - no sides. No room for bedside amenities, glasses, clock, watch or much else. The hotel is designed as a do-it-yourself which keeps the price down but is tough on sightseers. Without any real staff or concierge you better know your way around Glasgow. This would be fine for the under 30 group but not for families or older guests.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mactravels78
Inverness
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here on Wednesday 28th September, we were away for a romantic trip to relieve ourselves from the stress of work etc and we could not have chosen a better hotel!! From the minute we walked in to the minute we left we were commenting on just how cool and quirky the hotel is. The decor is AMAZING, so many different things to look at in wonderment, i felt like a kid in a sweet shop!! The reception staff were so kind and friendly, the girl checking us in made sure we were comfortable using their high-tech check in system and chatted away to us, upon departure we stored our luggage and were served by 2 different reception staff when storing then collecting, both of them couldn't help us enough and were helpful and polite.
The hallways are decorated in the hotel's custome red/white/black with quirky quotes from around the world painted above each room door. The room itself was fantastic, the bed was MASSIVE, the bed linen and towels were of amazing quality, the duvet and pillows were like marshmallows...it was the best sleep ever!! The shower and toilet pod is so cool and we loved playing around with the colour changing lights! The rooms have huge floor to ceiling windows so the view is excellent, but a set of blinds and a black out blind are provided, so no light at all was let into our room while we were sleeping, it was great! The shower was unbelievable, my boyfriend had to check i was okay because i had been in there for so long!! haha. The selection of films was great and my boyfriend had a great time being a typical man and pressing all of the buttons on the remote which basically controls everything in your room!!

I read some reviews that the rooms are too small...yes the rooms are compact, but due to the layout and the the size of the bed, i cannot see why you would need anymore space. My boyfriend is well over 6 foot tall and you could have fit about 6 of us in the bed!! haha.

The bar staff were excellent, one in particular who made us cocktails and came over to check they were okay. We were asking some questions about the hotel and it's origin, he knew so much about it all and really impressed us by answering all of our questions and more! They also provided us with an ice bucket and 2 champagne flutes at 2am to take back up to our room :) The drinks were of a standard bar price, nothing overly expensive at all and the bar stays open until 2am. The hotel has no restaurant ( why would you need one anyway, it is smack bang in the centre of Glasgow) but has a canteen which is open with fresh food 24hours a day.

Everything about this hotel is unusual, from the wierd wall decorations to the seating and general decor! If you are into anything quirky and unusual, go and stay here, i guarantee you will love it! If you are an old codger who likes your tartan quilts and traditional comforts, this hotel probably isn't to your taste, but go and stay there anyway!! It is an experience you have to try!!

If this raving review hasn't convinced you to book this hotel, then the only other thing i can say is, we departed on Wednesday afternoon and were home in Inverness by 8.30pm, by 9.30pm we had booked our trip to Amsterdam in January to go and stay at CitizenM's other hotel!! We loved it so much and can't wait to go back!!! BOOK IT NOW, YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!

Room Tip: City view rooms were recommended to us by the reception staff, also common sense, the higher you are...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

The overall impression of the hotel is very good, a lot of attention to the style and very clean. Something is odd, and the style should not be an excuse for oddities. The location is very central, at five minutes walk from Buchannan St, Sauchiehall St and Glasgow Central station and the hotel has free wifi.
One note on the comments: this hotel is very well rated, but I have the impression that most of the reviewers were simply astonished by the design (and haven't been before in a designer hotel). Excellence is still a step ahead. Anyway I still strongly recommend to use it for a short visit to Glasgow.

Plus (more that what you expect in a four star hotel room)
- large full-wall window
- super computerised remote control for the room, with selection of the colours of the light (i've chosen tropical beach for all my stay), the temperature, the curtains, the alarm (the speakers didn't worked)
- curtains that REALLY block the light
- free movies! (when you'll manage to use the remote control)

Minus (less that what you expect in a 4 start hotel room)
- no kettle for tea and biscuits!!!
- the remote control is far too complicated
- the room is narrow and the bed goes from wall to wall and is attached to the window, so it can be accessed only from the forth side, and someone will have to pass on someone else (when in the comments you read that the bed is huge... the reviewer felt in the trap of the designer... + for the designer, - for the reviewer)
- very little wardrobe, the room is not for long stays with big bags
- the sink is in the corridor and not in the toilet. This can be good (one can use the sink while another is having a shower) but easily there is water on the floor...
- the view from the window is not great: the road is not a nice road, and the courtyard is the backyard of many other buildings, not well kept.
- plastic cutlery!!! for breakfast

Room Tip: you'll be asked to choose between view on the street and view on the courtyard... won't chan...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

I visited CitizenM Hotel in Glasgow last night for the first time. I was there for a business networking event and I have to say that this is quite simply the best for this type of occasion. The private members bit, called SocietyM, is just amazing. Furnished a bit like a cosy, comfortable library with brilliant serving staff - friendly and efficient - this was a truly pleasurable experience and one that I hope to repeat very soon. The hotel part looks amazing from the pictures (not had the grand tour yet) but will definitely be recommending.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business