“The drawbacks....”
Review of citizenM Glasgow

citizenM Glasgow
Ranked #10 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Yes, CitizenM has got plenty of good points which are extensively featured in other reviews so I'm not going to repeat them here. My wife and I enjoyed our four-day stay but we found there were drawbacks...

The rooms are small so there's nowhere to put a suitcase, there are no drawers (other than one under the bed which already contains spare bedding) and precious little hanging space for clothes (only a small alcove) as there is no wardrobe. There's no tea and coffee making facilities despite every hotel, B&B, guesthouse etc in the land thinking it's a good idea to provide them. The shower (which is excellent) and toilet are both in a glass cubicle in the room and although it has frosted glass there's still a distinct lack of privacy. And finally there was no way to turn off the air conditioning fan so that was left blowing all night.

Would I recommend staying there? For a solo traveller or business person, yes, but for a couple it depends on whether you put CitizenM's unique approach over traditional hotel values.

Room Tip: The hotel's in a busy part of Glasgow so the top floors would be quieter.
1  Thank saabman00
citizenMhotels, social media citizen at citizenM Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Hi “saabman00”,

We started citizenM because, being in often between planes, hotels and travelling, we were disappointed by paying a premium for a huge outdated room, wi-fi, movies, room service with skyrocketing prices (no other options as hotel bars close during the night). There is no room service at citizenM, but we do believe in quality wi-fi & movies that are provided for free, skype phone rates, 24/7 food & beverage options, and fun.

Our approach was born from scratch, and intended for a short city stay where we don’t usually unpack but keep clothes in an open luggage – as you mentioned there is a large drawer under the bed fitting a large Samsonite, open, while a few hangers a provided for a jacket, shirt and jeans, 2 extra pillows are also in this drawer. The size of the room is advertised as being small, 14sq meters, with many pictures which helps the decision making prior making a reservation. On the other hand it is functional for a short stay, focusing on the most luxurious materials, XL king-size bed with luxurious Italian Frette linen, fluffy towels, power rain shower (that’s really powerful) and a twist, because we think a hotel stay can be fun too, other than just a night sleep.

Tea and coffee making facilities are not available in the citizenM room, just like we don’t have them on our own bedroom at home. For that, the kitchen downstairs (canteenM) is 24/7 open with a large variety of food & beverages – while all other B&B, guesthouse etc in the land do not provide it forcing you to 1, be hungry, 2, use the expensive room service or, 3, look for these outside of the hotel. On top, living rooms downstairs are filled with contemporary Vitra furniture to lounge and spend time in, not the uninviting hotel lobby.

In the end, it is completely understandable that our approach doesn’t satisfy everyone – citizenM is a new type of accommodation for the mobile traveler, who values luxury where it counts. It is honest, but in the works, taking feedback like yours to improve our product.

Visiting us again, I would love to explain you the thoughts behind citizenM and receive more feedback from you. If so, please, feel free writing me via citizendiego@citizenm.com

I wish you safe travels,

Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed here for one night for a concert in Glasgow.

The first problem was an extra £2.50 charge to pay for my room with a Visa debit card. What?! There was no option to pay in cash, as the check-in is automated. A bit of a joke really.

The decoration is supposed to be trendy, cool, etc, but I found it a bit garish. The forced friendliness (“Citizen M says: Nice Shoes!”) is slightly annoying, but I could live with it. It definitely tries too hard.

The room is tiny. There is a little bin in the wet room, but there should be two. The shower is really good, but there is no privacy and only a glass door and a curtain separates the toilet and shower from the rest of the room. The sink is in the main part of the room, and the water goes all over the floor.

The bed was very comfy and absolutely huge. But you can’t walk around it, and if you’re on the window side, you need to climb over the other person to get off it.

As someone who likes gadgets, I found the universal remote control the worst aspect of my stay. If you’re used to the latest phones, TVs, etc, you will find the remote and television interface very slow and outdated. It is also unresponsive, and just generally not user-friendly. It takes a few seconds just to change a channel, and they don’t even have the standard radio channels.

When we woke up the following morning, the remote simply said ‘Please Wait’ the entire time and there was no instructions on how to fix it (the battery panel is screwed closed). As the TV can only be controlled via the remote, we could not even turn it on!

In my opinion, there is really no need for lighting and TVs to be integrated. The novelty of the ‘mood lighting’ also wears off in about 2 minutes.

A disappointing stay, to be honest, and a definite case of style over substance.

1  Thank dundeehuddler

Hi “dundeehuddler”,

It is different & forward, citizenM is not the traditional, but I feel disappointed you found our hotel style over substance.

At citizenM you are expected to find luxury where it counts, for an affordable rate. We believe in free wifi, free movies on demand, Skype phone rates, a hotel lobby that doesn’t look like hotel lobby but a contemporary living room filled with Vitra chic furniture. Just like your house, the room is a place to sleep, shower and watch tv, reason we included the most luxurious XL king-size bed covered with Frette linen, power rain shower and most recent blockbusters, for free. But I understand different guests have different needs, reason there are review sites like this to help with the decision making process before making a hotel reservation.

I’d like commenting on your observations:

Just like buying an airline ticket, there is a £2.50 additional fee, at check-in, for amex, visa and mastercard as these companies charge the fee per transaction. This fee is not charged for any other debit cards.

Decoration decisions are up to opinions, while you found it forced friendliness and that we tried hard, we think it is fun. Same goes for mood lighting.

The room is small, but functional. As mentioned, it is comfortable with the most luxurious materials in 14sq meters, what makes sense for a short stay. I agree that you need to be comfortable with the person you share the room with, although the curtain prevent it, it is possible to see the shadow of the person who is inside the bathroom.

My apologies about the Moodpad not being responsive as expected, this should not happen. Reaching out an Ambassadors downstairs, or calling, they can easily assist and sort it out.

All in all, I thank you for the time in writing the review, we are taking your feedback onboard.

I wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Great hotel, 99% helpful staff - don't bother with the microwaved food! I would definitely come again if I was in a city with a citizen hotel. The beds are very comfy and it is great being able to adjust the room temperature (I like a cold room, usualy hotels are far too hot). The shower was really hot despite the hotel being busy and the rooms are very quiet. All the little bits like free movies, room lighting etc are added bonuses! Only negative was no tea and coffee in the rooms and no on site parking.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Great hotel. Very friendly staff. Rooms are small, but adequate. Fantastic rain shower with mood lightening and a huge bed!!. Was certainly different from any hotel i've ever seen!! We were on 6th floor with great views over the city. I have 2 negative comments, but not about the hotel - but carparking.

Citizen M state on their website "citizenM hotel Glasgow does NOT offer car parking at the hotel grounds. Discount rates are available at two car parks, both a 2 minute walk from the hotel.
special citizenM rates
Up to 24 hours: Flat rate - £10.00
Overnight (6pm - 9am): £3.50 then £1.20 per hour thereafter "
We parked in Buchanan Galleries Car park which was 1 of the 2 reccomended, and the walk is around 10-15 mins.

We arrived friday at 7pm and left Sunday before 9am but were charged £20 - not £13.50 as it clearly states.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
citizenMhotels, social media citizen at citizenM Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Hi "KellybellyScotland",

Thank you for sharing your experience at citizenM here on Trip Advisor. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay but very sorry that you were charged 20GBP instead of 13.50GBP for the car parking.

The car parking information about the price, which is stated on our website, is correct. I assume you haven't used the staffed kiosk at the exit to claim the discount but the manual pay terminal, which does not recognize the stamp. Learning from this, we don't want the same experience to be repeated. We have just updated our website, explaining that in order to redeem the discount, the staffed kiosk needs to be used.

I hope you accept our apologies for the miscommunication. If you would like sharing anything else with us, please, write me directly via citizendiego@citizenm.com.

Wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

First stay at this hotel. Excellent location being very handy for shops, theatre etc.
The bedroom is well designed and it is good to get free movies included. I would say they are a bit on the small side with nowhere to store luggage. I like all the hi-tech stuff like free access to imacs and free wifi. One word of caution- the cost of car parking can fairly increase the cost of your stay.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at this excellent city centre hotel for a weekend with friends. It's brilliant! The staff are fantastic, the rooms are spotless and the facilities offered, exceptional. Yes, the rooms are small but unless you're on a romantic break, this isn't an issue. Moreover, if you're a techy traveller, you'll love all the gadgets and gizmos. A perfect base from which to explore Glasgow.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank MG&SAG
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Certainly different with great prices. Location superb. Decor certainly different but what made it for me was the staff. Always friendly, nothing too much trouble. Hanging around in the lounge of an evening, watching one of the 3 televisions, I felt very at home. I went with a group of people but would certainly have no hesitation booking here if I was on my own. Will definately be visiting Glasgow again (great shopping, great eateries) and will definiately be booking here.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same