“**Great city centre hotel**”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
“**Great city centre hotel**”
Reviewed 5 May 2011

My fiancé and I stayed at the Grand Central Hotel in April over a bank holiday weekend!
We had bought the stay through s deal on another web site that was excellent value! We had a king room, wine in our room on arrival, oysters and champagne all for £98.
Unfortunately both of us were ill but felt it was too late to cancel. We don't live far from Glasgow City Centre so it wasn't a problem!
On arrival the hotel was beautiful! The reception staff were lovely and very helpful!
Out king room was of a great standard! Lovely comfy bed, classy decor, immaculate bathroom! Aswell as large tv, room service all the things you would expect from a good hotel! Only downside was the lack of minibar, but not a problem ad lots of shops nearby and in central station if you want any goodies!!
We ordered room service which was lovely pity we didn't eat it because we were ill! We didn't venture to the champagne bar as we went straight to out bed! But I have heard lots of good comments from friends about it!
All in all a great stay, hotel and staff very good! Great location for the city centre and travel links! Bit noisy though for older people, it didn't bother us though! It was to be expected in Glasgow on a public holiday old firm weekend!!
I will return and would recommend the hotel to everyone!

• Stayed April 2011
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2011
I am delighted with your feedback and your great score of 5.

I am also delighted that you felt as a guest the Grand Central Hotel and its staff offered you great value and first class customer service in all areas of your stay.

A warm welcome awaits you on any return visit.

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We stayed here on two separate nights on the way to and returning from our holiday abroad as it is a really convenient location if you are flying out from Prestwick Airport as the train leaves from Central Station (directly underneath!).

On arrival we were warmly greeted by staff and as we were early they stored our luggage for us until our room was ready. I must say that the staff were all so friendly and polite for both of our stays.

I had called a couple of days prior to ask about upgrading our room and we were given a complimentary upgrade to a business executive room. on our first stay. It turned out to be a lovely big room with a massive king sized bed which we loved! We also received a voucher entitling us to a free glass of the house champagne in the hotel's champagne bar - a really nice touch! We really enjoyed sitting in the champagne bar watching over central station and the bar has a stylish contemporary feel but still retains the character with the gorgeous Italian marble and mirrored bar - it was one of my favourite parts of the hotel!

On both occasions both rooms were well spaced (the business executive being larger with a bigger bed) and well equipped with hairdryer, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee facilities and also nice complimentary toiletries. They were also finished to a high spec in both the soft furnishing and the fittings. You really get the feeling that a lot of money has been invested to see this place being ideally located for both leisure and business travellers.

We never went for breakfast on either days due to early travel connections but we were offered it at only £10.00 per person - not sure why or if this was a special offer but to be honest that is a pretty standard rate for breakfast.

Definitely go there again - ideal for couples, groups of friends or business travellers... We loved it!

Room Tip: Call the before for free upgrades!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor after your recent stay, your comments are very encouraging and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I must agree our location and transport links are a great advantage to any guest staying in Glasgow and I am sure your feedback will certainly encourage others to try the Grand Central experience.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Hotel has a nice setting but hasn't created the atmosphere.Champagne bar looked the part but a combination of music from the bar and the adjoining function room just didn't work. Plus the bar was extremely stuffy with the aircon not doing anything. £20 million on a refurb you would expect a bit more.
Bedrooms are very well laid out and comfortable but are let down by the noise from the nearby taxi rank and the music from both the hotel function room to about 1.00am and clubs oposite to 3.00am.
The main corridors are massive but lack any feel to them.

Overall a nice hotel , handy because you are at the heart of the city.Wouldn't rush back but might use again only if the bedroom is on hope street side.

Room Tip: Book hope street rooms towards the riverside
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read that you felt we did not have the atmosphere to match our setting, I appreciate your opinion, however this not the usual feedback we receive from our guests.

Our aim is to provide an outstanding experience and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Yours sincerely
Reviewed 2 May 2011

What a shame that such a nice place did not do more to combat the noise outside this hotel. Ok so is city centre but have stayed in other such places without these problems ! The room was nice but the tv was not good and slow and like something out of the 70's and don't try to get mood lighting as you can only configure the lights the way the hotel have decided . Wish other reviews had been more honest about the noise as would not have stayed ... And we were on a tuesday ... Imagine what it's like at the weekend ! Shame as was a beautiful hotel

• Stayed April 2011
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.

I am sorry that your time with us was not what you had hoped for. Due to the very nature of the building and the very location in the heart of Glasgow City Centre, noise levels at times can be expected; unfortunately as the building is listed we are limited as to what alternation can made.

I am sorry this has dampened your stay with us, but I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Grand Central in the near future.

Aberdeen
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Stayed in a family room with 2 children. Small rooms with uncomfortable beds and pillows and it was a squeeze getting us all in. Had to leave the windows open to try and keep the room cool as no aircon but then there is a lot of noise from the street through the night. Nobody got any sleep and after two nights we were glad to be leaving. Food at dinner and at breakfast was quite good. It is a very good central location and probably a good place to stay if you are in Glasgow for a night out but this is not a great location if you have younger children or want a peaceful nights sleep. Interesting place to stay at least once because of the architectiure and location. We wont be going back any time soon.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
I am disappointed to read your comments, as you and your family chose to stay with us during your time in Glasgow.

Our location brings many advantages, however at times the location does mean some noise can be expected, and unfortunately this seems to have been the case during your stay.

Our aim is to give our guests an outstanding experience and I do hope if you are visiting Glasgow again, you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back .

Co Durham
Reviewed 29 April 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel as night 1 of a 4 night stay in Scotland. We secured an excellent rate of £59.50 bed and breakfast and for a 4* hotel thought this was very reasonable. The offer was part of an Easter 10 day sale 50% off including breakfast.
We arrived late afternoon, parked in the nearby NCP car park (get your chip validated on the way out and it will only cost £8 for 24 hrs) and check in was quick and easy. We went to our room and were pleased to see it was spacious and very clean with a large bed and bathroom. Decor was tasteful in browns and deep reds and very much to our taste.
The hotel is very very close to the station and I notice that other guests have said they had problems with noise. I have to say that we were overlooking the street and had no problems with noise whatsoever. We had a quick look in the champagne bar that looks over the inside of the station and it was lovely however we did not stay for a drink so cannot comment on prices etc.
Although we had a very pleasant stay and could not fault our lovely room there were a few small details that prevented this hotel from being almost perfect.
Firstly, the room has no air con so in the warm weather it will become very hot and uncomfortable. During our stay the radiators were not on and it became very cold. My husband had to ring down to reception whe he was told how to turn them on to warm up the room. It took around 20 mins to fathom out how to turn them on after reception gave incorrect instructions.
Secondly, the shower is large and powerful however it has nowhere your put your soap, shampoo etc when you are in there. my husband felt that this was slightly inconvenient and it meant that the soap and shampoos had to roll around on the floor while showering.
Finally, we usually like to have breakfast in our room but the tray charge was £5 per person to do this! Extortionate in our eyes. We went down to breakfast in the restaurant which was pleasant if not spectacular, and had the buffet breakfast. The breakfast was a huge disappointment. The sausage was awful. It's tasted so odd that my husband thought that it had gone off. The bacon was barely cooked and 'insipid' looking and I had to wait almost 10 mins by the buffet while they booked more eggs as they we all gone when we got there. There were no tea or coffee pots left on the table, instead we were poured 1 cup of tea each and never asked if we wanted anymore.
I know that some of these points may seem small and pernickety but they are, in our opinion, small details that mean the hotel is 7/10 and not 8 or 9/10.
Overall I would say that if you are going to Glasgow it is definitely a good place to stay as it is central and convenient with lovely rooms and with a little more attention to detail it could be fabulous.

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor.

Our rooms have been designed to offer warmth, welcoming comfort and a touch of class; I am delighted that we met with your expectations during your stay.

It is encouraging to read your comments that mention you had no problems with noise levels during your time with us, this will be very helpful to other guests looking to stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

Please accept my apologies for your poor breakfast experience, and be assured that I will be speaking with the relevent Manager to ensure our high standards are maintained at all times.

Once again thank you for your feedback as we value your opinion greatly as we do all trip advisor reviews.

Yours sincerely
Laurie nicol
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Hi, I am staying in this hotel for work for 2 nights, the hotel itself is beautiful, and in working order, the rooms are slightly better than basic but nothing to special, my room is directly above the train station and quite noisy which is frustrating as I can here every train pull in and there are lots of noisy pigeons outside my window ( to be fair if it bothered me that much I could ask to move rooms) but I'm only here 2 nights and for work! There is a champagne room which I haven't visited but told it is lovely, the write up on the Internet states it has a gym but you have to go to the local LA Fitness and pay a fee of £5, the breakfast menu I think is very expensive £13.50 for continental or £16.50 for Scottish breakfast which is all self service nice but pricey, dinner was very nice so you do get what you pay for! Beds very comfortable and location is perfect, walking distance on a fine day to everything you need - this is my first review so I have tired to only give facts .....I hope this helps

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank TaylorPerry
Your comments are much appreciated, and I hope that you will be visiting Glasgow again soon, as we would very much like to welcome you back.

Perhaps on your next visit you will have the opportunity to visit our Champagne Bar with its beautiful chandelier, overlooking the main concourse of the station, an added attraction and a great place to people watch.