“Not as Grand as you think”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We stayed at the Grand Central for two nights. At first appearance the name of the hotel seemed to say it all. The hotel decor was of a high standard and an ideal location for the center of town. However lack of attention to detail lets the hotel down. The large entrance, grand sweeping stair case, long corridors and large door leading to our room left us a little disappointed when we entered the room. It was so small we has to use a contra flow system to walk around the bed. It felt a bit claustrophobic to say the least and very warm at night. Although it was very clean and comfortable, it's debatable if our towels were replaced the next day and a dirty glass was left on the dressing table. It could have been ours from the night before or the cleaning staff were having a drink in the room and forgot about it. The waiting staff appeared friendly but making friendly conversation is a art they say. I don't think it was appropriate to be told 'that'll be a fiver extra, when I asked for more butter for toast at breakfast. (meant to be a joke). Also it's not a good idea to tell your guest where they could get a cheaper breakfast at a rival budget hotel. Especially while they are enjoying the breakfast. The Champagne Bar was a pleasant experience although a little on the cold side. However the bar staff were very bright a smiley. On departure it would also have been nice if the receptionist inquired if we enjoyed our stay and if everything was OK with our room. In this current climate and with many rivals, getting customer feedback is key. Don't think I would go back sadly. There are other hotels in the surrounding area that have done better. Sorry you're not as Grand as you think.

1  Thank kathtosh
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2011

Disappointing feedback in some areas after your stay with us and these areas will be looked into to ensure that our high standards are maintained at all times.

Please accept my apologies for any housekeeping issues as this is not acceptable, along with comments and inappropriate joking during breakfast. On a positve note I am delighted that your experience at Champagne Central was a good one and the customer service you received was noted.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the near future, as a warm welcome awaits you.

Laurie Nicol

Write a ReviewReviews (4,180)

Reviewed 9 May 2011

I guess we were just unlucky going by other reviews, but the room we stayed in, although nice enough, was VERY SMALL. Even the shower cubicle was a tad on the small side. I wouldn't have liked to have been on the large side!

Aside from that negative this is a nice hotel that has a lot to offer like a great location, friendly staff and a very good breakfast with quality ingredients. Even the noise that other people have discussed, wasn't a great problem as our window was not fully open. We were on the forth floor overlooking the station. But, as there in no air conditioning, I'm sure the heat in mid-summer with the window open as wide as possible, it might be a bit noisy.

There's nothing wrong with this hotel as such but would we stay there again? Probably not unless it was a very good deal as there are better hotels that offer better value in Glasgow. I think the size of the room has put us off.

1  Thank stevetosh

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor, we do have many different sized rooms and this is solely due to the very nature of this 200 year old building being Grade I listed, this we believe is part of its great character.

Although our rooms can vary in size, each room has been decorated to the same high standard and equipped with all that is required for a great stay.

I do hope you will visit again, as I would very much like to welcome you back with a complimentary room upgrade on a return visit.

Reviewed 5 May 2011

we stayed here for 3 nights in early May. Our room was on the fourth floor,(406) of a reasonable size with a comfortable bed and pillows. On the downside there was no mini bar and the t.v remote took ages to change channels. In the bathroom there was no towel rail or heating of any description which for a 4 star hotel I found odd.
The staff however were very courteous and polite and the hotel is still being refurbished with work now beginning on the 5th floor. The public areas are sumptuous and recall the bygone age of this once grand hotel.
I am sure that once completed this hotel will be worthy of being called Grand again

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

I am sorry that certain aspects of the hotel did not meet with your expectations in some areas, for that I am disappointed; however I am very pleased to see that the customer service you received from our staff was polite and courteous.

Our aim is to provide an excellent service to all our guests and I am delighted that this has been achieved.

I do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here, lovely big room overlooking station etc. Very little could find fault with, but then no-one reads reviews to find good stuff, they want to konw the problems:
-The huge room had black out blinds and curtains - great, but the curtains were just for show and wouldn't close, and the blinds let in light at side - would have been better to use both especially when you want the room really dark to keep a young baby asleep! we managed fine tho, using a chair to prop the curtains closer together.
-The lifts are somewhat confusing, we had to use them due to pram but most people would be ok - main lifts board says floor numbers and G for reception E for some other rooms etc but the buttons have 0, E, then numbers (i think it was that way round - easy enough to figure out) the lifts I had the problem with were the ones from floor E to the restaurant for breakfast the buttons bore no resemblance to the board explaining them - buttons were E, LG and UG and on the board were i think E, M and 0 or something like that - we just guessed and ended up seeing each floor!

That was all that we had that was wrong, we slept wonderfully, beds were really comfy, breakfast was probably one of the best we've had in a hotel. Its in a good location and we enjoyed going out into Glasgow city centre to have a wander round.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your great review on tripadvisor and I am so please you wish to stay again.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room to be comfortable and well set out, along with a unique view over the station concourse.

Feedback is very important to us, and thank you for highlighting the confusion with the lift form floor E to the restaurant, this will be looked into.

I very much hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Grand Central Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 May 2011

We had never been to Glasgow before. The hotel has recently been refurbished to a high standard but considering it's location they ommitted to add double or even tripple glazing.
It was a bank holiday week end, we were on the 3rd floor, both Saturday and Sunday night, we were lucky to get any sleep from the noise of the clubers waiting at the taxi rank below our window.
The hotel itself was clean and staff very helpful and friendly.
The shower in our standard room leaked onto the bathroom floor even when the door was closed.
The breakfast was excellent.
Disapointed that the only lounge was in the champagne bar a few floors up from the main reception.
Glasgow is a vibrant city with a lot going for it, nice old buildings along with the new. Plenty of resturants and places to drink.
On whole a memorable week end.

Room Tip: Ask to be in a room to the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

We are very proud of what Principal Hayley has achieved at the Grand Central Hotel; as the building is Grade I listed, achieving any form of changes to the windows with regard to sound proofing is a slow process.

As our location is in the heart of the City Centre minimal noise levels can be expected, but we have an array of different rooms to suit all needs.

May I thank you for your feedback which is so important to us.

Reviewed 5 May 2011

My fiancé and I stayed at the Grand Central Hotel in April over a bank holiday weekend!
We had bought the stay through s deal on another web site that was excellent value! We had a king room, wine in our room on arrival, oysters and champagne all for £98.
Unfortunately both of us were ill but felt it was too late to cancel. We don't live far from Glasgow City Centre so it wasn't a problem!
On arrival the hotel was beautiful! The reception staff were lovely and very helpful!
Out king room was of a great standard! Lovely comfy bed, classy decor, immaculate bathroom! Aswell as large tv, room service all the things you would expect from a good hotel! Only downside was the lack of minibar, but not a problem ad lots of shops nearby and in central station if you want any goodies!!
We ordered room service which was lovely pity we didn't eat it because we were ill! We didn't venture to the champagne bar as we went straight to out bed! But I have heard lots of good comments from friends about it!
All in all a great stay, hotel and staff very good! Great location for the city centre and travel links! Bit noisy though for older people, it didn't bother us though! It was to be expected in Glasgow on a public holiday old firm weekend!!
I will return and would recommend the hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: April 2011

I am delighted with your feedback and your great score of 5.

I am also delighted that you felt as a guest the Grand Central Hotel and its staff offered you great value and first class customer service in all areas of your stay.

A warm welcome awaits you on any return visit.

Reviewed 4 May 2011

We stayed here on two separate nights on the way to and returning from our holiday abroad as it is a really convenient location if you are flying out from Prestwick Airport as the train leaves from Central Station (directly underneath!).

On arrival we were warmly greeted by staff and as we were early they stored our luggage for us until our room was ready. I must say that the staff were all so friendly and polite for both of our stays.

I had called a couple of days prior to ask about upgrading our room and we were given a complimentary upgrade to a business executive room. on our first stay. It turned out to be a lovely big room with a massive king sized bed which we loved! We also received a voucher entitling us to a free glass of the house champagne in the hotel's champagne bar - a really nice touch! We really enjoyed sitting in the champagne bar watching over central station and the bar has a stylish contemporary feel but still retains the character with the gorgeous Italian marble and mirrored bar - it was one of my favourite parts of the hotel!

On both occasions both rooms were well spaced (the business executive being larger with a bigger bed) and well equipped with hairdryer, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee facilities and also nice complimentary toiletries. They were also finished to a high spec in both the soft furnishing and the fittings. You really get the feeling that a lot of money has been invested to see this place being ideally located for both leisure and business travellers.

We never went for breakfast on either days due to early travel connections but we were offered it at only £10.00 per person - not sure why or if this was a special offer but to be honest that is a pretty standard rate for breakfast.

Definitely go there again - ideal for couples, groups of friends or business travellers... We loved it!

Room Tip: Call the before for free upgrades!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor after your recent stay, your comments are very encouraging and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I must agree our location and transport links are a great advantage to any guest staying in Glasgow and I am sure your feedback will certainly encourage others to try the Grand Central experience.