“Unbeatable location”

Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Unbeatable location”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

The Grand Central Hotel adjoins Central Station and has an entrance on the concourse so very convenient if arriving by train. Beautifully refurbished. On check-in the reception said that if I didn't like my room to let them know and they would move me. However my room was lovely. I was on the 2nd floor and facing the train shed so, despite previous complaints about noise, there was absolutely no external noise. The fact there were no views was of no concern (I was not in Tahiti!) I suggest people who find external noise a factor to ask for a quiet location since the hotel is in the centre of a city. Room comfortable and bathroom spacious and modern. The tv did tend to lose reception on the digital channels. I didn't eat in hotel as I do object to hotels charging very high prices for buffet beakfasts. There is however a deli in the hotel that offers simple choices. Also, plenty of breakfast choices in and near the station.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

I must agree with your review heading, the Grand Central Hotel is worth considering, in the heart of a vibrant city offering shops, bars and restaurants galore, not forgetting the shear convenience of the railway station leading straight to the hotel entrance is perfect for guests travelling by train.

I'm pleased you had a chance to visit our Deli Central, it's proving to be a very popular place to be, it offers fabulous food in it's modern and relaxed surrounding's.

However, I am sorry for any inconvenience caused with the television losing signal on digital channels in your allocated room. I have passed your feedback to our Maintenance Manager who will look into this further.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Only checked in a few hrs ago but needed to leave after being threatened by a member of staff in regards to complaints made about the smell of smoke. My partner had a smoke in the toilet (I was unaware of this) and the member of staff banged on my door. Upon opening I was confronted by 2 staff members,1 silent, 1 aggressive. They asked if I had been smoking to which I replied no. He asked to come in which I agreed too. He done a search of room and found a cigarette in the bathroom. He then stated I would be fined £250 and ejected from the hotel. I was dumbfounded and of course was angry with my partner for smoking in the 1st place. I checked out and was told I would receive no refund even though I had credit on my room bill due to payment upfront for other services. I was then told it was a £500 charge for the room. Absolutely shocking service that could have been handled so much better. I admit my partner should never have smoked in the 1st place in a non smoking room( she had a sly one out the toliet window) but to be so aggressive with a customer is shocking customer service. It could and should have been handled so much better.

Very very poor and regardless if you are a smoker or not I would now never recommend this hotel. Use the Radisson round the corner. Far superior customer service.

PS. Upon leaving I could actually smell smoke in the corridor too but this has definitely come from another room on the floor. Unfortunately It was me and my wallet that has taken the hit.

1 Thank backorlay
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
Thank you for your view you have posted on trip advisor.

I am very disappointed that you feel our staff behaved in an aggressive manner towards you. This is certainly not behaviour I would expect and I have investigated the situation thoroughly.

As you are aware smoking is not permitted in any area of the Grand Central Hotel and we do take contravention of this seriously. We did have complaints from other guests regarding the smell of smoke and this is why our night team visited your room to investigate. We do charge for deep cleaning of the bedroom should someone smoke to allow our future guests an odour free bedroom.

I would be happy to discuss the matter in person, please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Scotland
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Booked a Sunday Night special offer and had a great time. Check in couldn't find my online booking so gave us an upgrade despite the fact it only took us four minutes to check in. Rooms are a wee bit noisy but hey! your in the middle of a city. Champagne bar is expensive but if you want cheap why are you not at a Travel lodge . Great for a treat for someone you care about. Right in the centre of town. Do yourself a favour if you come to Glasgow by train,stay here ,treat your partner,you'll have a ball. Special mention to the blonde girl (Katie i think) at front of house at dinner and breakfast. A welcome and a smile to light up your day

2 Thank andy m
Thank you for your wonderful review and score of 5.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us at The Grand Central and that the hotel staff offered excellent customer service throughout your stay, Katie especially
, will be delighted to see that her customer service has been recognised.

Our aim is to create an outstanding experience and I do believe by your comments we have achieved this.

Do come and stay with us again soon, as we would love to welcome you back.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Champagne bar is pleasant, bar staff slow to serve and not very friendly. Room very nice, very spacious although no hotel information booklet. Dinner - disaster! starters arrived before drinks, waitress never even noticed! had to ask again for drinks... food was served, ordered medium steak, received rare (if at all cooked!) and missing sauce. waitress never came near again until time to take the plates away, she reluctantly asked if all was okay with the food! Supervisor came over to explain there had been a mix up with the orders! When informed that no-one actually checked if everything was ok, she advised that the waitress said she did check!! Supervisor very nice and helpful however overall service was appalling!! complimentary glass of champagne for the bother... off to bed, sleeping contently until rudely awoken at 3am by the taxi queue on Gordon Street which continued to get rowdier until eventually calming down at 5am!!!! The room should have come with a noise level warning it was so loud I could record the noise from ground level on my phone on the 3rd floor!!! Secondary Glazing is surely an option for a listed building or at very least heavy curtains that can actually close! After a horrible disturbed night went to breakfast to be informed it was not included in our room rate (which it was!!) how many things can the staff in this hotel get wrong??!! Breakfast -mediocre... On checking out the reception staff did not even enquire about our stay?! Probably knows best not to ask given the position of the room we were in! What should have been a relaxing break (received as a birthday present) turned into a total let down due to poor service and noise which also then impacted on the next day! I could not wait to get home to get some sleep! extremely disappointed

Room Tip: get a room overlooking Hope Street
1 Thank dannyboy3103
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on the Grand Central Hotel after your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the dissappointing service you received during your recent visit to the hotel.I would like to assure you that your comments have been passed on to the appropriate departmental managers to enusre our high standards are maintained at all times.

We were dissappointed to read that your sleep was disturbed by the noise from the street. As you can appreciate with the hotel being a Grade I listed building, we must adhere to strict building regulations, we are currently looking into the possibility of double glazing. This is certainly not an excuse as we always ensure our guest's receive a good nights sleep and we are sorry this was not the case on this occasion.

We do hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2011

Stayed at the Glasgow Central for a one night flying visit to Glasgow. Booked on a room only basis and the rate was exceptionally low and so there was a little bit of trepidation on what to expect! I was certainly not disappointed. We were warmly welcolmed by the staff on a 'dreich' night in Glasgow. After
seeing one of the most spectacular chandeliers ever and walking along one of the longest hotel corridors ever, we arrived at our room. The room was spacious, a little dark but that was due to it overlooking a wall! Bathroom was large but exceptionally clean. Slept very well on the large, comfortable bed and unlike many hotel rooms, the temperature was perfect. After returning from dinner we had a night cap at the hotel's champagne bar. Great location overlooking grand central station(great for people watching) and once again thr staff were so attentive and friendly. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel- it was very central, very comfortable and excellent value.

• Stayed May 2011
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Another top score of 5 – Thank you.

I am delighted that we exceeded on your expectations, your positive comments are very encouraging to read, and I must agree that our stunning 22.5m in length chandelier a real eye catcher to all.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.

Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 24 May 2011

We chose this hotel because of its location, right next to the station, as we were arriving in Glasgow by train and it was recommended by my son who has visited Glasgow several times, although he hadn't actually stayed here. We also got a good deal on the internet for bed and breakfast.
The hotel, I am told, has had a massive refurbishment and this has been done very tastefully. The hotel is huge with long corridors and lots of rooms. Our room was excellent, although, on the first night, we inadvertantly went to bed with the window open and were woken up by the announcements in the station. After this we made sure the window was tightly closed and the sound proofing was good as we heard nothing.
The room was a good size, very clean and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was excellent, it had a bath with a shower over and was also spotless.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, although I didn't have much to do with them as I had no complaints.
We tried the champagne bar, which was quite expensive, but what else can you expect from a big city hotel?
The breakfasts were excellent, there was a great choice of hot food, eggs could be cooked to order, as were kippers if you wanted them, there were cereals, porridge and best of all, fresh fruit - not tinned, as some hotels think it acceptable to offer. Fresh pastries and muffins, all sorts of bread, cheeses, cold meats.. I could enthuse about the breakfasts endlessly. I've stayed in a few hotels this year but the breakfasts here couldn't be bettered.
We didn't eat here in the evenings as we were visiting family but a couple we were talking to said the dinners were really good as well. maybe next time....
If and when I return to Glasgow, I will certainly stay here again.

2 Thank KMKS
It is so pleasing to read your comments after your recent stay at the Grand Central Hotel, and your score of 5 and your feedback on the hotel and staff are very rewarding, thank you.

I am glad you especially enjoyed your breakfast in Tempus, our Award Winning Chef and his team have exceptional standards and we all appreciate your comments.

I do hope to welcome you back to The Grand Central within the near future.

London
Reviewed 23 May 2011

The hotel has had a £20m refurbishment and it shows in the public areas. The room was fine, with a new bathroom, and it was all spotless, but there was a stain on the ceiling from the sprinkler and the TV stopped working briefly. The bed was extremely comfortable.
There is no air con in the hotel (well, this is Glasgow).
We were on the top floor on the street side, and noise was minimal. I imagine on lower floors in any direction, and on the station side, it would be a bit noisy. But you could say the same about any street in central Glasgow!
We had a very friendly greeting from reception and the concierge is great.

Room Tip: top floor, street side
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on the Grand Central Hotel, following your recent stay.

I am delighted to see your appreciation of the refurbishment and your acknowledgement to the high standard of service and comfort offered through out the hotel.

As our location is in the midst of the City Centre, minimal noise levels can be expected.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company again in the near future, as a warm welcome awaits you.