“Central, but not so sure about the "grand"”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #41 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
uk
“Central, but not so sure about the "grand"”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed in this hotel a couple of weeks ago, having been curious to see it after reading all the hype about its refurbishment.

I find a lot of hotels in the UK irritating, because often they're "pseudo-posh", in my view, rather than genuinely classy, so anyone reading this might want to bear that prejudice of mine in mind when reading this..

I was visiting family and stayed in a single room, for which I paid around £175 for one night. Yes, the room was comfortable enough, but I wouldn't say that it was £175-worth of comfort. Breakfast, at £10.00 I thought on the pricey side for the usual buffet with mediocre food and coffee which was of poor quality.

Staff were pleasant, and no complaints on that score. I wouldn't stay there again, though - I'm sure that there's better value for money to be found in and around central Glasgow.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Thank you for your review and pleasant comments about our team here at the Grand Central Hotel; customer service is of high importance to us.

With regards to your room rate, our rates do fluctuate depending on our availability and most importantly the overall demand in Glasgow. September is a very busy month for Glasgow’s conference markets, with many international congress and conventions taking place we have been very busy.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
CHORLEY
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The hotel is grand in appearance but it is very impersonal and not particularly friendly. Our room was small not grander than a travel lodge to be honest. The staff do their duties but the atmosphere is a bit gloomy and I wouldn't say there was a place you would really want to sit and read the papers or relax. The location is good but that is about all!

• Stayed September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review.

We pride ourselves on high standards of customer service and the Grand Central team won the Friendly Service Award at the Scottish Hotel Awards recently, therefore I am disappointed with your overall feedback, this is not the general feedback we receive from our guests.

I would like to assure you that this is not typical and I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

I contacted the hotel before arriving to find out where to park, the concierge gave me detailed instructions how to get there, down to floor to park on. The room we had was huge, and beautifully decorated with a massive tv much to my daughters delight. Great shower.
Also recommended a perfect family restaurant with perfect directions.
Would love to go back.

• Stayed September 2011
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I am sitting on the train traveling back o London after a fantastic weekend in Glasgow. First the city is a fun, uncrowded and less touristy than others. The hotel is full of charm, and is part of the central train station, so the walk from the train to the front desk is maybe five minutes, all inside the station. Very nice facilities, friendly staff, very close to shopping, and great food. Try out the Cornor Grill. Room was easily "four star"; comfortable and roomy. The bar is a friendly place full of locals; the breakfast a bit crowded at times --- but full of all the items that you would expect. I cannot speak enough of how friendly and helpful the staff was! As for the comments about noise from the outside world, I could hear train announcements, very faintly; but they ended long before I was off to bed. I think you cannot go wrong!

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
I am delighted we have left you with such a wonderful impression of Glasgow and of course the Grand Central, your comments are very encouraging to the team here.

Thank you for your top score of 5 and review, I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I have now stayed at the Grand Central three times, booked by a client , and each time have come away feeling disappointed and tired!. Yes the hotel is has been impressively refurbished, and yes the rooms are well appointed and comfortable.
BUT there are some serious draw-backs. Firstly the noise. The first time I stayed here I was in a room on the first floor directly above the bus stop and traffic lights. I was awake all night. with the noise of the night buses stopping and pulling away, and also drunken revellers shouting in the street below. The subsequent two times, I phoned beforehand to request a room away from the road and the station noise and was assured this was possible. On each occasion I arrived at the hotel to be told that my booking was for the following day (this turned out to be a serious hotel admin glitch) and therefore the room I had requested was not available,and I would be on the street side. I now bring earplugs and sleeping tablets with me.
The rooms are cold - on this most recent visit I have had to request an additional heater and was told that although the boiler has been turned on for the winter, it takes three days to warm up.
The rooms have a poor selection of teas - in a hotel of this class I would normally expect herb teas to be provided and also earl grey. I requested that herb teas be brought to my room. The porter brought four teabags. Having used one , the following day the other three teabags were removed from my room , despite the fact that I was staying for two nights. Unbelievable!!
As a business customer I am running workshops in the conference rooms. These are dark and gloomy. There is a nice business lounge but on my last trip I had to point out a shard of broken glass on the carpet and sour milk in the jug. The conference room was not refreshed at lunchtime and I found myself clearing dirty cups from the room before we restarted after lunch. To be fair, when issues are raised they are dealt with promptly, but so much of the poor service could be improved by greater attention to detail and customer care.
One of my delegates arrived early for the workshop and when asked reception whether she might get a cup of coffee, instead of being directed to the business lounge, was told there was a 'Costa coffee nearby'.
I could go on...All in all not a good customer experience and if I ever have to stay here again I shall not be looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Away from the road and away from the station, on 4th floor
1 Thank Sarah J
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I understand that you have recently spoken with our Operations Manager further to your feedback we have received. I hope the conversation was of benefit to you and please be assured that we take on board and act upon all feedback, positive or negative, to improve the service we offer to our guests.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the not to distant future, to show you the Grand Central at it’s best.

Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Was given a really warm welcome at reception and a lovely big room with lots of space. Sometimes staying in a hotel alone can feel soulless but it wasn't a hardship to spend an evening in! Bed was the comfiest one I have slept in away from home and the spacious bathroom was fantastic. Although breakfast was busy in the morning staff were efficient and the food was fresh and hot. Hope to return!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
Thank you for your top score of 5 and ace review.

I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and I hope we can indeed welcome you back very soon, remember that all Trip Advisor visitors can take advantage of 10% off and free full Scottish breakfast promotion, see our homepage for more information.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed in the Grand Central for three nights while on business in Glasgow.

The hotel is absolutely huge! My room (think it was an Executive) had a big high ceiling and was very spacious indeed. Everything was in the room that I needed, except a shower cap! I especially liked the high-power hair dryer, proper iron and ironing board and the robe and slippers. The flat-screen TV was also huge, so in-scale with the room, but the system for changing channels took forever and kept on sticking.

I didn't have breakfast in the hotel but did have room service which was delivered promptly and was of good quality with generous portion sizes.

The only complaint I have is... the noise! My room overlooked the front of the hotel (main entrance to Central Station). The traffic noise was bad but that I can bear, however all night long (on week nights!) there was shouting and screaming from people in the streets, at the taxi rank, at the nearby bus stops - it was crazy! I had come prepared with my earplugs but even these couldn't drown out the racket from the street below. This hotel has to put in secondary glazing in as the noise level is ridiculous.

Also, given the size of the premises, I really think the hotel should put in a gym suite, this hotel is primarily used by business travellers and a gym would be a great addition. You can attend the nearby Living Well gym at the Radisson for £6/session but there's plenty enough room at the Central for them to offer their own gym service.

Overall, an impressive looking hotel with lovely rooms but not so great for being able to sleep!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review further to your recent stay with us while on a business trip.

I’m glad that you were impressed with the hotel; as it was built in 1883 we do have profoundly high ceilings and beautifully decorated wide Victorian corridors, along with many more original features which have be restored to their former glory. Due to our building being listed we are restricted on what measures we can take with secondary glazing, however we do have many rooms which lend themselves to quieter parts of the hotel, our reservations team are always willing to assist with any special requests.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.