“The Grand Central was grand!”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We had a lovely two night stay in this grand old hotel. It was close to everything we wished to see, a wonderful bar, and a recent well done upgrade. The flavor and atmosphere of the old hotel was still there, but filled with modern conveniences. My only minor negative comment is that no one at reception told us we needed to put our room key in a special slot to make the electricity come on or that you can use the hotel's internet for free for 30 minutes a time. We asked for a larger room and was given it readily. I loved being next to a bustling train station, yet one would never know noise wise it was right next door.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Thank you very much for your top 5 score.

The Grand Central Hotel as recently undergone a £20 million refurbishment and we are very proud to have restored the hotel back to its original grandeur. We utilise a key card operated system in all our bedrooms to assist with our energy saving programme. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 19 October 2011

My boyfriend and I just been to Glasgow for a football match as a treat for my birthday in early Spetember. We saw the hotel deal with Easyjet and have read the review from other people regading to this hotel. Initial impression was the hotel is in a very central location and the building itself is beautiful inside. Friendly greeting from the staff when we walked in, thought this might be a good stay however eventually it turned to hell. The front desk staff gave us an early check in which was a good thing, I really appreciate that I have to say. Since we have already knew how much we were going to pay but the staff told us a much lesser amount so we thought the hotel had dropped the rate again and we paid everything in advance without second thoughts, including a full English breakfast for 2.
Walking into the room and realised since it's at the lower lever of the hotel and we might get some announcements from the train station, which we had noticed from other people's review, we took no notice but settled in. However, the toilet in the room was really filthy, there were some urine in it and some other unknown black stuff. But the room was huge and so was the bathroom, the decor was modern so i guess you won't feel disappointed if you are after a comfy room.
Friday night was ok, we knew we were going to be waken up by the noise from the trains and the announcements from the train station. But Saturday night there was a function going on right underneath our room, the music was so loud and the whole floor was viberating. Not realising what's going on and how long the music would last I rang the front desk. The lady was centainly not in a happy mood and wasn't friendly at all. She did explained the music would last til midnight but since the hotel was fully booked they couldn't offer us any other room or I should say her exact words were there's nothing she could do. My first thought was, really?! As I worked in hotel business before, I mentioned to her it would be nice if they could tell us there was a function going on during our stay and if we would like to stay in a room at higher level of the building to avoid the noise before we checked in as it's going to be a better customer service instead of just being surprised and annoyed of the unnecessary noise when you really needed a quiet night.
To be honest, what is customer service? The answer is to offer a good service at the first place to avoid future complaints. What did the hotel do? Nothing! In fact, just for your information, sometimes if the hotel cant offer you another room when they are full and you have encountered something like this, a well trained hotel can actually book you out to another more expensive hotel as a compensation. Of course, free transportation to get to the new hotel as well! So it is definitely not as she said there's nothing she could do. Frustrated and tried of her nasty attitude so I hung up. I wasnt going to waste my time with someone who doesn't know how to delivery a service.
We did enjoyed the food at the restaurant and the champagne bar in the hotel, the staff was nice and friendly. However if you do decide to go to the restaurant, remember the staff will not warn you of the hot plates. I burnt my fingers but the food was nice. I guess that's the price I should pay for good food, right?
The best has not come yet, trust me. When we checked out, since we have paid everything in advance, we should be able to drop the keys and leave right? WRONG!! The staff checked the system, realising her colleague charged us the wrong amount, without an apology but asked my boyfriend to pay the difference there and then. I came along to the counter to ask what was the problem. OMG, you charged us the wrong amount at first place. That's ok, I was going to give her the second chance to apologise then we can pay the difference and leave. Again, no apology just strong attitude after money. After so much negative emotions built on, I decided to tell her we shouldn't be charged again since it was a staff error and asked to see the manager. I shouldn't have asked that, we should have paid the money and go. Why? Because we were sitting there for a good 20 minutes just for the manager to come out, and the first thing he asked was " what can I do for you guys?" That just triggered me, you knew you didnt train your staff well to charge us the correct amount when we checked in, the toilet was dirty and you didn't tell us we would have disco music as our lullaby on Saturday night and now you are asking me what can you do for me? Your staff dont do things right, full stop! As he read my facial expression he knew I didn't want to go through all these crap again with him so he said since it's a staff error he would wave the charges. Thank God! You got that right! But still no apology of what happened, or an apology for the long wait. His attitude was all about, I'm telling you now.......how about this..... We were not your business partner or staff, we were your customers for crying out loud! After hearing his decision I just wanted to walk off! I had enough of this.
Another monor thing I noticed is the breakfast menu, if you are having your breakfast in your room, you will have black pudding as a choice. But when you have your breakfast in the restaurant, black pudding is no where to be seen. Same price, why people have room service have more choices?
I feel very sorry about the owner of the hotel, does he or she know that he's paying money for incompetent people to sit in their jobs and drive the customers away? The attitude of the staff in this hotel is very wrong. As I mentioned, the building is beautiful and certainly has a history behind it, if I were the staff I would be proud of working in such a hotel. Sometimes at work you should not only do the right things but do things right! That's the spirit when you are in customer service industry.
However, there is a special thank you from me to a specific staff working for the concierge department. Unfortunately i didnt take his name. He was ever so nice to explain it will cost me nothing to leave my luggage at the hotel for the day and he certainly gave me some fantastic suggestions of where to go when he knew I would not leave Glasgow til late. He was the only true gentleman in the hotel. He made me think that maybe there's still hope for this hotel!

Room Tip: Go for a higher level room in the hotel, even it might cost you a little more. Definitely double che...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank G S
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Grand Central for a concert I had in Glasgow. When I arrived at the hotel I was greeted with a friendly helpful manor by the lady a recption. I was then given a complimentory upgrade to an executive room which was brilliant. The room size was huge but very comfortable. The room was very clean and the beds were comfy. Some have said because it is above the train station it must be noisy. I can safely say I had the best nights sleep.
The breakfast in the morning was lovely and fresh.

I would Highly recomend this hotel when going to Glasgow.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cwylie93

Another fantastic Top Score of 5- Thank you for all your positive feedback.

I am delighted that you had a very pleasant stay with us here at the Grand Central Hotel Glasgow. We aim to provide all our guests with excellent customer service at all times. I will ensure all your positive comments are passed onto the team.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

We chose this hotel for it's reasonable rates and close proximity to the train. However the windows in our room actually looked into the train station, and was a bit noisy with announcements. There didn't seem to really be any central air in the room - it was very warm and we could only turn down the radiator so much. It was clean and comfortable, and we slept OK. We stayed on a Saturday night, and some hotel guests in the hallway made noise in the hallway, there seemed to be a wedding going on. Sunday night was much quieter. The oddest thing was that the bathroom, although recently updated and very modern, lacked a shelf in the shower to put your toiletries. So I had to lay my shampoo and conditioner and soap on the floor of the shower, and bumped my head when picking them up. It was also hard on my Mom and Dad who are older. The hotel breakfast was pretty good, but getting to the breakfast was a bit hard - 2 elevators and then a set of steps up and then down into the dining area, which is tougher for older folks who aren't good with stairs. There is also no doorman at the hotel to help with cabs, bags, etc. The concierge was helpful with some shopping recommendations and helping us with driving maps. Lastly, one night I called for ice and no one came up so after 30 minutes, I called again, and after ten minutes I received the ice. Definitely not the service level of a top hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time out to review your stay with us here at the Grand Central Hotel.

It is encouraging to read that you were pleased with the bedroom and breakfast in our Tempus Restaurant.

Our Concierge team is always at hand to assist with luggage and organising transport, and bedroom fans are also readily available. We will ensure all staff are informed of our guest comments, our Quality Wins team meet monthly to discuss feedback and ensure that all suggestions are taken on board.
Hopefully we can welcome you back to the Grand Central Hotel.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Do not stay on the second floor if there is a wedding or some other function, as you will not get any sleep. As for breakfast and other comments made by other reviewers, most of all the reviewer from Barnsley was correct.
Made a complaint about the noise and was given one night bed free after a lot of conversations with the manager.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank blackcats085

Thank your for your review.

I am sorry to hear you had difficulties sleeping. I understand you have liaised with our management team, and please be assured that your feedback has been communicated with the appropriate managers to ensure internal event noise is at a reasonable standard at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Stayed in this hotel before refurbishment it had alot of potential and was cheap. Went back after refurbishment as a secret hotel and the place was spectacular. We got the room for 58 pounds as a secret hotel. The full price is around 98 pounds not sure if it includes breakfast. The best thing about this hotel is it is in the train station very convient if you are taking the train. We didn't get breakfast so not sure about it.

Room Tip: Check last minute.com sometimes you can get as a secret hotel for about half the price.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you had the opportunity to return to the Grand Central Hotel after last your last visit which was prior to the refurbishment.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon and remember to check out our Trip Advisor page for 10% off and free breakfast or our Principal Hayley website for some great deals.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

This hotel has obviously had a lot of money spent on it (£20 million and counting apparently) and it received positive marks from us in almost every department.
Location is great. Check in was quick and painless. Our room was very smart, the staff were all very friendly. The breakfast was great. The only downside for us was the food, or rather one of the 2 main courses we had. After speaking to the manager however, the problem was sorted out quickly and efficiently.
We loved walking round the hotel admiring some of the public rooms and fixtures and look forward to staying here again soon.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive feedback and appreciation for our major refurbishment.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to you staying with us again soon.