“Ask for rooms overlooking the station roof on the fourth floor for quiet!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Central Hotel

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #41 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Ask for rooms overlooking the station roof on the fourth floor for quiet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

This is exactly what we did as I had read all the reviews complaining of noise and one thing I hate is being woken up when you are paying for a nights sleep! Anyhow ask for rooms as I suggest and you will have a super quiet stay and a great sleep as we did. You can also just turn off the radiator in these rooms if you are too hot. Food is lovely in the Tempus restaurant and breakfast was great too.
An absolutely fantastic stay with one caveat -
The only thing that concerned me slightly is that anyone seemed to be able to wander into the hotel from the street and the station concourse and access the floors with the bedrooms on with no security at all on the stairs or in the lift, and it's not exactly a salubrious area.
Also from the public bar and restaurant - anyone could wander upstairs from these and all this made me quite uneasy particularly as the reception area would have no idea who was resident and who was just a random from the street in a hotel that size particulalrly when there are huge functions going on and the bars are open to the public. There is no security at all anywhere, except for the staff on the reception desk and the concierge who never once asked us if we were resident. You can easily access the lifts and the main staircase totally unchallenged/unchecked and there are literally hundreds of people coming and going in an evening.
Anyone could follow you up to your room if they wanted from the street as far as I could tell. Maybe I am wrong and maybe this is what all city centre hotels are like - I just haven't experienced this before. It did make me feel a little vulnerable to be honest.

Room Tip: Floor 4 overlooking the station roof - incredibly quiet and lovely views out over the roof to the ci...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sunnysoul
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time out to write a Tripadvisor review.

I am very pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed your meal in our Tempus Restaurant. I would like to reassure you that every single part of the hotel is under 24 hour CCTV surveillance. This is carried-out without any disruption to guests whatsoever, as you have gladly experienced. Our reception team monitor this on an ongoing basis as does the Duty Manager. Our Duty Manager is available to speak with 24 hours a day, 7 days a week should any guest ever require any assistance.

I hope to welcome you back to the Grand Central Hotel in the very near future.

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

We went 2 weeks ago for a family wedding which was held in the hotel and stayed 2 nights. Incredibly impressed and I just loved our huge room, beautifully appointed in every way, but I spent a lot of my time looking out of our bathroom window into the station concourse, I found this fascinating. (sad that I am)!!!!
Breakfast was only o.k. The staff were all very helpful. The reception areas where the wedding was held were really beautiful and full of atmosphere.
Situated right in the heart of the city, and we went by car, we found parking remarkably easy and not too expensive over the weekend as we could park on the street for free until Monday morning and the hotel have an arrangement with the car park for half price parking.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Many thanks for your exceptional top 5 score.

I am delighted to read such excellent comments about the hotel and our staff. After our recent £20 million refurbishment we are delighted that our guests appreciate our efforts in resorting the hotel back to its original grandeur.

Our parking arrangement with NCP Oswald Street is ideal for all guests attending functions and staying at the hotel.

I will ensure all your comments are shared with the team. Hopefully we can welcome you back to the Grand Central in the near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

The Grand Central Hotel is centrally located in Glasgow and it has an incredibly charming decor, and HIGH ceilings! It usually comes with a reasonable price tag as well. I think I paid £60-70 ($100-110) a night.

I would definitely stay here again. I've stayed at a few different hotels in Glasgow but none better than the Grand Central. The rooms are very contemporary, the hotel has been recently renovated along with all the rooms. The bed is about as comfortable as you will find in a hotel.

The hotel is located inside Glasgow's central train station, which makes it great for connections to Edinburgh, London or just to go grab a hot cup of tea.

The Grand Central Hotel is situated roughly a 5 minute walk from Buchanan Street where you will find the best shopping in the UK (outside of London). And it's roughly a 10 minute walk from George Square & Glasgow City Chambers. Argyle Street (more shopping) is located just outside of the train station & the St. Enoch Center (a nice shopping mall in Glasgow's city center).

If you're staying in Glasgow, and looking for a really nice hotel, stay at the Grand Central! I promise you won't be disappointed!

One more thing, the Hotel staff in very friendly and will let you check-in prior to scheduled check-in if they've got a room ready or they will hold your bags as a courtesy if it is not!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ExiledWanderer
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Came in from Australia and stayed in the hotel as our base for 13 nights...good price and given upgrade to executive room.

Arrived late Sunday night after VERY long flights.. Went to Champagne bar and ordered 2x rose.. Yup you guessed it 2 glasses of rose wine served... Not Champagne... Charged for them after pointing out to bar manager .. Apparently my fault.. No effort made to remediate.. So 15 quid down the toilet..I couldn't be bothered to argue.. It was late.. Not a good start.

Room was very good but noisy with drunks in the street outside... No idea why police don't move them on.. Suppose it's accepted culture.

Few issues such as no chilled drink's in the room via a bar fridge... What luxury hotel doesn't have bar fridges???

Concierge was great and arranged ice bucket as requested most nights

Buffet breakfast was great.. And I have no idea why people think it is expensive!!

Staff generally were pretty useless.. Especially reception who basically referred to the concierge for everything.

Room was very hot.. Yes even in September and we are Australian!!!

• Stayed September 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review.

I am sorry that your time with us was not as pleasant as hoped. Your comments about our Champagne Bar, Reception Team and service have been taken on board and will be shared with the team.

The Grand Central Hotel is in the very heart of the vibrant city center and from time to time the surrounding streets can become busy with party goers, unfortunately this is out with our control. However I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed breakfast in our Tempus restaurant.

Our Quality Wins team meet monthly to discuss guest feedback, to ensure all comments and suggestions are taken on board so we can improve the service we offer to our guests here at the hotel.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Room very hot even in November, room we had was on the 2nd floor over looking main concourse of train station, very good for people watching, but very bad noise wise, first night was woken up at 2.30am to what I can only explain as trains being shunted, door all along corridor being slammed (think they all needed a good dose of WD40) would of helped if hotel had ear plugs in the room.
Prices of breakfast a wee bit steep £16.00 and if you wanted it delivered to your room an extra £5.00 per breakfast tray service

On the plus side lovely building central to everything, staff very very friendly and helpful, hotel very clean

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd floor and facing the main road
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank atreides1
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review further to your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you found the hotel very nice and our staff and service helpful. Noise can be expected at times due to our prime City Centre location however this does bring it own advantages with shops, bars, restaurants all on our doorstep.

Our reservations team are aware of quieter rooms and are always willing to assist with special room requests, should we be able to welcome you back in the future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I booked a room for 2 nights at short notice and got a good value deal. The hotel was immaculate and the reception very good. I was offered an executive room upgrade and given a £10 drinks voucher on arrival. The room was large and very clean. I ate in the restaraunt on one evening the food was good and especially good value with the drinks voucher. I have stayed at many of the larger hotels in Glasgow and I would rate this as one of the best.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Thank you for your excellent top 5 score.

I am very pleased with your feedback on the success of our refurbishment and on our Tempus restaurant. We are delighted that you consider the Grand Central as on of the best city centre hotels.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Dollar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

We were guests at a charity event being held in this hotel and decided to stay here bacause of its exceptionally convenient location in Glasgow city centre.

We were most impressed by the staff and the hotel which we believe has recently been refurbished. The night went well helped enormously by the staff who were ever present but never in the way. The food was super. The champagne bar was most impressive with its views over the station plaza.

The room was spotless and huge with a big comfy bed, the bathroom was massive as big as our bedroom at home with hand shower as well as overhead shower and a bath.

We will return.

We really wished we had stayed two nights and taken in a bit more of Glasgow city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as you can get some noise from the station in the morning we were advised.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank neil_mckagencies
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Another fantastic top 5 score!

Thank you so much for your positive comments & for taking the time to share your thoughts about the hotel after your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that we have left you with such a great impression of the Grand Central Hotel and your comments about our staff and service will be shared with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Central in the very near future.