“Top Class but a few minor faults.”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #42 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Co.Down, N.Ireland
“Top Class but a few minor faults.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I had booked a midweek break for my partner and I for a special occasion. I booked it through Travel Republic which meant that everything was already prepaid and I that didn't have to pay anything on arrival or departure. I then decided to upgrade my room, I contacted the hotel who said for a charge of £60 for the two nights my room would be upgraded with a Kingsize bed, Slippers and Bathrobes, Strawberries with Dipping Chocolate and A Bottle of wine on arrival. I can honestly say I will never "Upgrade" again. Don't get me wrong the staff at the hotel were very efficient and polite but when we were given our room, none of the extras had been included. I had to go back to Reception to explain. The girl stated she would do her best to sort the situation out. The Wine soon arrived followed by the Strawberries, it consisted of a plate with 5 Unwashed Strawberries and a Small dish of half melted chocolate. After paying £60 I was a little annoyed about this. I didn't have my bathrobes for another 5 hours either. I decided to head out and see what Glasgow had to offer and to cool off as I felt I'd been ripped off.

I didn't eat in the hotel once, even though breakfast was included but this was mainly because it being midweek the breakfast finishes at 9:30am. I wasn't up in time for any of these days. Nor did we have a drink in the hotel as we'd heard of the prices people had been paying. Considering the hotel being above and beside the train station we didn't hear any nose. I love the the position of the hotel and how central it is to everything. This is defiantly a bonus. As regards my other upsets it still wouldn't put me off staying here although I would ensure that I didn't book breakfast and I didn't upgrade my room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank for your taking the time to review further to your recent stay with us.

I'm disappointed that upon arrival the elements in your upgrade package were not in your bedroom please accept my sincere apologies with an assurance that all of your feedback has been passed onto the appropriate managers to ensure high standards are being met at all times.

I am glad that the issues experienced would not put you off staying with us again and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (890)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

An impressive building, nicely refurbished and very handy as a conference venue - being inside the train station. However, with so many nice hotels in Glasgow, why sleep in a train station?
This was as close as I'd like to get to sleeping on the street, albeit in a comfy bed. The noise was way beyond intrusive and made sleeping very difficult. Fortunately the very nice staff have a supply of ear plugs, or just take your own.

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel are quieter
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review.

I'm pleased to read that overall you were impressed with the Grand Central Hotel and it’s staff, although you found your street facing room noisy. With our unbeatably central city centre location noise levels can be expected at times, however we do have plenty of rooms which do not face onto the popular streets of Glasgow should these not be to your personal preference, our Reservations team are always willing to assist with any special requests, subject to availability.

I do hope you we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Edinburgh, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed for one night at start of February. We took train to Central Station which meant we only had to walk along the platform to reach the hotel.

We had a very friendly greeting at reception and although it was only mid-day, our room was already available. We had only booked a standard room but it was more than adequate. As the hotel has recently been renovated all of the fixtures and fittings are perfect. Very nice bathroom with good toiletries and excellent shower.

We had lunch in the Champagne Central bar. Very busy as there was a wedding in hotel but it was a nice atmosphere and a great place to people watch. Service and our lunch was first class.

We had dinner in Tempus Restaurant on Saturday night. Very nice size of restaurant, good layout with plenty of space between tables. The food and service was very good and it was a nice, relaxed atmosphere with a mixture of party sizes. You never felt rushed.

Breakfast next morning was very good also. Warm greeting from staff. Self service buffet with a wide range of juices, cereals, pastries, meats/cheeses and hot range.

Grand Central Hotel will definitely be our hotel of choice when returning to Glasgow.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Top rating of 5 and fantastic review - Thank you!

Customer feedback is very important to us and it is always pleasing to receive positive comments. We are very proud of what Principal Hayley has achieved with the restoration of the Grand Central Hotel; it has once more become a jewel in the city of Glasgow.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Have stayed here on several occasions now. Obviously excellent location right in the heart of Glasgow, good for business and shopping travellers. Refurbished recently so rooms I have stayed in have all been excellent. Free wifi but you need to ask reception for a code. Faster broadband available at a cost - 256k free. Bathrooms are spacious and fitments are good quality. Breakfast is the standard fare with more expensive options available but it is all well cooked and very well presented. Bar is expensive - £5 for Peroni etc but the prices generally deter any undesirables. Beautiful old building well renovated with sweeping staircases - looked really nice at Xmastime.
A bit of noise from the station on one side or the streets on the other but you are in the centre of a busy city - nothing unusual there.

Room Tip: Room higher up the building gets you away from some of the street/station noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at the Grand Central Hotel several times now.

Your review covers many aspects of the hotel and I am so pleased to read your positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the near future.

hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

My partner and I stayed here from the 30th dec until the 2nd jan. Our room was on the 2nd floor and although the room was nice and spacious, it was facing gordon St, which is where the main entrance to central station is positioned. as well as all of the street noise, there was a LOT of noise early in the morning in the corridor outside our room, which we found to be housekeeping staff slamming doors whilst going about their work.
We ordered breakfast to our room on one of the mornings. This cost a staggering £50 !!!! As we had a quick checkout, it wasnt until i checked my bank statement that i discovered how much i had actually paid. The food was good, but not worth a fraction of £50.
Nice hotel, very good location, but would not stay again unless guaranteed a room higher up and away from the front of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review.

Due to our central location street noise at times can be expected however we do have many rooms which do not overlook Gordon Street and our reservations team are always willing to assist with any special requests.

We also have special rates & promotions on breakfast and £50 is certainly not standard for two breakfasts at the Grand Central; should we be able to welcome you back to the hotel check out our Trip Advisor homepage for promotion code including 10% off and free full Scottish breakfast.

ATHENS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

This hotel is located above the Central Railway station of Glasgow at the heart of the city within walking distance of eveything that is important in the city and easy access to all means of traspotation.

The building of the Central Station and the Hotel is a huge Victorian Building very well renovated - one of the best in city.

Rooms are also quite spacious.

All the rest are just ok. Apart from the above, this is a convenient hotel but you will shortly forget your stay there. (I suppose this stands for Glasgow in general as well).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review further to your recent trip to Glasgow and for choosing the Grand Central Hotel.

Our hotel is a listed building which brings such benefits as large and spacious rooms, it is also steeped in history and many original features within the hotel have been restored to there former glory.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed for one night while in Glasgow for a business meeting. The room was very nice, modern/contemporary decor but retaining period features such as original radiators. Service was very good from reception and concierge to restaurant and guy who brought room service. Bed big and comfy but the lack of soundproofing on the windows was a real issue. The rooms down the side of the building I was on faced onto Hope street and the traffic/street noise kept me up late and woke me again early. I called reception to ask when the traffic quietened down (This was a Sun night) and they did offer to move me but at after midnight I declined because of hassle factor. It was quiet abut 2am. The rooms on the other side of the hotel might be quieter as they face a different street, half the rooms also face the station which might also be a better option. Breakfast was good. I would stay here again as the hotel is nice and the location good. I would however contact the hotel,ask which rooms were quieter and request one specifically. This is an ideal hotel for a girls shopping weekend.

Room Tip: Contact reception to ask for the location of the rooms that will be least affected by traffic/street...