“Great hotel, fantastic location”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #41 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow
“Great hotel, fantastic location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

The location of this hotel literally couldn't be more central and is perfect for exploring Glasgow. The hotel has recently undergone an expensive refit and you can really see where the money has been spent. The rooms are beautiful, with very comfortable beds and fantastic bathrooms. There is also a fantastic champagne bar.
Our room was looking out into the station, but there was no noise between midnight and 6am, so it wasn't really a problem.
Breakfast was included in the deal we had booked; although it was nice I don't think it would have been worth the price if it wasn't included.

All in all a fantastic hotel and a fantastic experience; I hope to be back before too long.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Thank you for your review and top rating of 5.

It's great to read your comments and appreciation of our £20 million refurbishment and that even with our central location, noise was not an issue during your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon for another fabulous stay.

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (892)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I was home for the weekend in Glasgow to see friends and family. This was my first time back in the Central Hotel since it's been refurbished, I was bowled over my the ambience, decor, service and more importantly Champagne Bar! Well priced, nice but not intrusive service and a central Glasgow setting that can't be beaten. You guys have put some of the over-priced and not up too scratch bars in London to shame.

Keep up the good work, see you in the summer! :-)
Will

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
We are delighted that you were impressed during your recent visit to the Grand Central and Champagne Central, your comments are very much appreciated and may I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback.

Hopefully we can welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed in the Grand Central Hotel a couple of nights before Christmas.
It was a Friday night and the hotel should perhaps have been called Party Central instead of Grand Central.
I was a little bit worried that I was about to have a sleepless night - but thankfully once I was up on the bedroom floor I couldn't hear anything from the function rooms below.

Having booked a Double Room I was a tad annoyed that the hotel allocated me a single room.
So back down to reception I went, and after showing the receptionist my booking confirmation he switched me to a double room.

The Single Room looked ok, but the Double room was really nice.
It was a good size, and a had a large bathroom to go with it.
The room was clean, quiet, comfortable, and had a lovely big bed.

There are lots of places to go nearby for food and drink so I didn't check out the restaurant for dinner.
I did however have breakfast in the morning. It was a help yourself buffet style breakfast and it was very good indeed.
I'd have liked to be given a pot of tea instead of the staff coming round every now and then with Tea or Coffee, but to be fair this is a minor complaint as it really was a good & hearty Scottish Breakfast.

If you're looking for a place to stay in central Glasgow - especially if you are arriving by train in to Central Station - this is a good choice.

Ah! and in the title I said there was bit of TV History in this hotel....
Back in 1927 John Logie Baird used the Grand Central for a test and transmitted TV pictures to the hotel.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are the ones that look out over the top of the roof of Central Station.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your helpful feedback and for taking the time to review the Grand Central Hotel, I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Whitehaven, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Our first impressions were not good when we checked in and the receptionist had no record of the free bottle of wine we were promised when we booked. He wouldn't believe me until I showed him my booking page. When we first saw our room we were underwhelmed to say the least. It WAS one of their standard doubles but I still expected it to be nice, being that it's supposed to be a 4* hotel, but it was quite basic, no better than a budget hotel really. It was lacking in what I would consider basic amenities i.e a mini fridge, bottled water, shower caps etc and was very small. We couldn't get the heating on either, and there were hardly any channels on the tv. I felt our weekend would be ruined if we stayed there so I went down to reception and paid an extra £60 for an upgrade to an executive room instead (not such a bargain after all!) but apart from being bigger (bigger bed, bigger room, bigger bathroom and bath) was not much better. They DID have bathrobes and slippers but still no fridge or any luxury items. Very disappointing. Also, everything had a 'small additional charge'. We had forgotten our toothbrushes and read that they were available from housekeeping, but we would have to pay for them. We went to a chemist instead. They even took our soap and didn't replace it, and the tea tray was not replenished. We had intended to eat at the restaurant and asked the receptionist to book a table. He told us we had to ring down ourselves from our room- great, thanks for your help! We didn't bother in the end, we didn't want to take the risk of being further disappointed. Even checking out was a nightmare, despite it saying on our keycard envelopes that we could sign them and pop our keys in an Express checkout box, the concierge told us we couldn't and we had to wait in an enormous queue of people instead. Luckily our train wasn't for another hour or we might have missed it! All in all, I would definitely not stay here again, If you just want somewhere to lay your head it might be ok for you if you get a really good deal, but it's not for us. Shame really, it looked so good on the internet, but I feel quite cheated.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank urbanfairie
I am disappointed with your overall feedback and shall be investigating the negative comments made as it is through constructive criticism that we are able to monitor and maintain the standards within the hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to review and I do hope we can welcome you back to see the hotel at it's very best.

Kind regards,
Rosyth, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We've stayed here three times now....rooms are spacious and nicely presented. Friendly staff. Very central for shops etc....fantastic champagne bar with friendly staff. Great value for money!

• Stayed April 2012
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
I am delighted that you have now stayed with us several times and that you have such a great impression of the Grand Central Hotel and our team, they will be very encouraged with your feedback.

Thank you for your top rating of 5 and for taking the time to review, we hope to see you again very soon!

Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stayed for one night at the Grand Central Hotel and have to say that I loved my experience there. The staff were very helpful and quick when I checked in and when I arrived in my room I was very impressed at the size, decor and cleanliness of both the bedroom and bathroom. I had read previous reviews about how noisy the hotel can sometimes be with both a busy street on one side and the train station on the other...so I was a little wary. Even on the 2nd floor facing the busy street, I did not hear any outdoor traffic nor could I hear anything from the train station.
The hotel was perfectly located in the centre of the city which was perfect for walking! I was able to walk to St George's Square and Buchanan St for shopping in about 6-7 minutes and I was also able to walk from the hotel to the Cathedral and Necropolis in about 25.
Would definitely come back to this hotel and would definitely reccommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your awesome review and top rating of 5.

It's great to read that you enjoyed your Grand Central Hotel experience; I appreciate your feedback that our location was ideal for you and although with our unbeatable and unique location you heard no street or station noise from the 2nd floor, street facing bedroom you stayed in!

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Bellshill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Just returned from a very enjoyable stay in Grand Central. We paid the extra to upgrade (£25) and received room 409. The room was an excellent size, lovely huge bed and we had a lovely sleep. The staff were very quick and efficient delivering robes and wine to the room as part of the upgrade. The bathroom was huge and had a fantastic shower. There is complimentary bath products supplied.
The hotel is stunning inside and we will definitely return to stay whenever we are staying in Glasgow.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Another fabulous rating of 5 - thank you!

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Grand Central Hotel and that you will definitely return upon any future visits to Glasgow. Room 409 is one of our Double Executives these rooms have been designed to offer a warm, welcoming, comfortable surround, with a touch of class and I am glad that you had a lovely sleep in this Gordon Street facing room.

A very warm welcome awaits you.